Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2007, 3:03 am 
Vala
Vala

Thats an idea that has crossed my mind once or twice, Eärendil, but it's never stuck for long, for some reason. It's a pretty good idea, too. It would make sense for Bilbo to have written The Silmarillion while he was staying in Rivendell, in the same way that Frodo 'wrote' LotR. Of course, though, there are things mentioned in LotR that I don't think Frodo would have known, though I might be confusing a part with something written specifically from Tolkien's perspective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2007, 3:35 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Quote:
Thats an idea that has crossed my mind once or twice, Eärendil, but it's never stuck for long, for some reason. It's a pretty good idea, too. It would make sense for Bilbo to have written The Silmarillion while he was staying in Rivendell, in the same way that Frodo 'wrote' LotR.

Thanks Aerandir. The problem is that I saw it somewhere in a book, where this is stated but I can't find it. Most probably it was 'Unfinished Tales'.

Will keep you informed! :)

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2007, 4:03 am 
Vala
Vala

Lol, all the best stuff comes from UT. :D I love that book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2007, 4:33 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Quote:
Lol, all the best stuff comes from UT. I love that book.

Indeed. Totally agree with you. It's got a wealth of information, especially on the 1st and 2nd ages. But also LOTR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2007, 7:17 am 
Vala
Vala

Yes. LotR is awesome. I'd say that quite a bit of the pleasure I take from the book comes from reading the Appendices :D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 29th, 2007, 6:26 am 
Istari
Istari

Location: From the north I have come, need has driven me and I have passed the doors to the path of the M6

Yeah, I think that the Valar were less an active force in middle earth and more passive generally. But they werent averse to acting when necessary aka the war of wrath. This made the peoples of middle earth do more stuff for themselves I guess.

"This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and counsels of the Great. Who of all the Wise could have foreseen it? Or, if they are wise, why should they expect to know it, until the hour has struck? "

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 29th, 2007, 7:35 am 
Vala
Vala

Oh, the Valar were definitely a more passive force. They almost never influenced events directly, except for Ulmo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 29th, 2007, 7:37 am 
Istari
Istari

Location: From the north I have come, need has driven me and I have passed the doors to the path of the M6

but as I said before, they werent averse to acting when they absolutely had to. I think Illuvatar asked them not to intefere loads in the affairs of the people of middle earth and such, only when necessary. What do u think?

"This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and counsels of the Great. Who of all the Wise could have foreseen it? Or, if they are wise, why should they expect to know it, until the hour has struck? "

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 29th, 2007, 7:42 am 
Vala
Vala

I don't think he really gave them specific instructions at all, but I think that that is how Manwë interpreted Ilúvatar's will, and thought that they should act that way--after all, Ilúvatar already knew how events would unfold, and the Valar wanted as much as anyone else to see how the Children of Ilúvatar would act, behave, and live when most choices were left up to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 4th, 2007, 3:12 pm 
Istari
Istari

I agree with you i guess. Manwe knew the most of Iluvatar of all the valar, but even he wanted to see how the elves and men reacted to circumstances.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3