Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

Do you think it was hard to read FOTR?
yes, very hard 10%  10%  [ 18 ]
yes, a little 45%  45%  [ 81 ]
no 45%  45%  [ 82 ]
Total votes : 181
 Post subject: Do you think it was hard to read FOTR the first time?
PostPosted: June 7th, 2006, 2:05 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

do you think it was hard to read FOTR for the first time? I think it was a little in the beginning (my mother tongue is finnish and I read it in english) but I liked it so much i read it quite quickly after all! What about you?

I revisited AU on Jan 14th after an almost 10-year break! The nostalgia..!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 7th, 2006, 2:09 pm 
Custom Rank
Custom Rank

No, I can say for myself: definitely not. I read FotR with 13 years the first time and though I didn't understand everything immediately well (English is not my mother language though I first read it in english) It was not that hard to read for me. But I know several persons who think it is quite hard to read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 7th, 2006, 2:17 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

I read it first when I was eight and I don't think I retained much; the only scene I remember from that reading is Weathertop. Then I saw FotR when I was eleven, and loved it, and then saw TTT the same weekend. Then I learned that RotK wouldn't come out for another year, and I decided I needed to read the books to see what happened. Mostly who "she" turned out to be. So I think I read it with relative ease after that...and since then I've read the whole trilogy every two or three months.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 7th, 2006, 2:32 pm 
Istari
Istari

For me the beginning was a little hard. I'd already seen the movie when I read it for the first time, so that made it a lot easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 7th, 2006, 5:57 pm 
Maia
Maia

The only chapter I remember having much trouble with was The Council of Elrond. I had been doing pretty good, but I got bogged down on that part. It took me several days to get through the chapter. The rest of the book was pretty easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 7th, 2006, 6:23 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

I loved the COE chapter. It answered so many questions and I felt like it was sort of a cumulative review of what I'd read so far. I really liked it! :)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 7th, 2006, 6:30 pm 

I read it about a year before FotR came out in the cinema so I was about 10 or 11. Personally I thought it was kind of hard to read because of the fact it was the first time I'd ever read a book with that style of English and that amount of description and background.

Took me nearly half a year to read because I would get caught up in Tolkien's long descriptions of how things looked and then I'd forget the important things and I'd have to start over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 7th, 2006, 6:42 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I voted for a little hard. I, sadly, did not read FotR until after the movies came out, so things were easier to picture after seeing it on the screen. I am a huge reader (I read A LOT), and a fast one, so the size wasn't a problem, or the language, but I found that if I left it for a while, it was difficult to pick back up.

"You said: I know that this will hurt, but if I don't break your heart then things will just get worse..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 8th, 2006, 12:56 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I think it was a little hard the first time...lol...I didn't actually finish it the first time I read it. But when I first tried to read it, I hated LOTR. I know I know, I don't know how I did, but I did. Lol, But now I've read it again, I whizzed through it. Also, reading the silmarillion helped me alot because it had a lot of background information, and the main reason I found it hard the first time was because I had no idea what was going on ,lol. So yeah...

Oh yes.. my very first banner! -evil laugh...chokes- ahem, anyway....
[

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 10th, 2006, 6:08 am 
Balrog
Balrog

for me it wasn't hard at all, I had already seen the RotR movie before I started reading the book and I really enjoyed it

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 12th, 2006, 3:14 am 
Elf
Elf

Elenya wrote:
The only chapter I remember having much trouble with was The Council of Elrond. I had been doing pretty good, but I got bogged down on that part. It took me several days to get through the chapter. The rest of the book was pretty easy.

Yeah, that one was probably the worst. I recall skipping a lot of it, cos I just wanted to finish the book. :P But I was only about 9, though. I only read it because my brother decided to read the start of the Prancing Pony bit too me, but wouldn't tell me whether they got Frodo or not. :disgust: So after a few days of torment I sat down to read it myself. It didn't really work. I took a year to get through the first two.

After I watch FotR, though, I decided to go back and try again. I'd read the hobbit several times since, having wanted to read it before I went and saw a stage play of it. Being just that little bit older made it so much easier. I didn't have any problems the second time through with the trilogy, and got the the end of RotK in no time. :)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 13th, 2006, 3:32 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

Yes.I had a very hard time keeping the characters straight. :blink: I didn't like Lord of the Rings untill I saw the films.Now I understand and like the books a lot better.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 13th, 2006, 6:21 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

Well, at first I found it hard to read, but after seeing the film, it helped me to understand what was going on more, so then I found it easier. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 14th, 2006, 6:40 am 

I first read the books when I was about ten, long before I saw the films. And I had no problems with any of it, and enjoyed the CoE chapter, although, storywise, it is very slow. But it is really interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 14th, 2006, 8:38 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

I had no trouble at all reading it the first time, I read the Hobbit first, so I already knew the type of style. That made it easier I think. I'm a huge reader too, I'm reading FotR now for the 20th time or so and started a week ago and I'm already half way trough. :angel:

98% of teens say "I love you" and don't mean it. If you are one of the 2% that do mean it put this on your signature

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 14th, 2006, 8:48 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

nah I don't think so I saw the films first but I read it in swedish so I dunno how it is english

Profile           YIM        

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next