Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Bilbo and Walking trails
PostPosted: January 4th, 2006, 8:37 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

when i first read the book it inspired for me a love of walking. i now walk whenever i can and enjoy it so much. it is loverly to go walking to places i havnt been or further than ive been before. i loved bilbos songs and poems about walking and they mean even more when you have a pasion for walking yourself. i find myself making poems of my own that i sing when im walking. and the best thing is that they dont have to please anyone elses ears but mine, because when you are walking alone no one can tell you that it doesnt ryme or your out of time or your words dont make sense its great. i wonder does anyone else when reading get the urge to just walk off into the countryside ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 4th, 2006, 10:38 am 

I definately can relate with you! Although I don't get to do it often, I love hiking and rambling about the countryside. I like Bilbo's 'walking song', and the image of journeying is a big theme in Tolkien's books. Walking helps me to unwind, so to speak, and is very good for a person's spirituality.
Sometimes I just want to go off on a country road and see where it leads me. Yes, walking is great.
I think Tolkien did a lot of walking in the mountains. At least, I remember reading something about him walking in Switzerland. So he had a lot of experience with it, and describes it well in his books.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 4th, 2006, 5:03 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Tolkien did enjoy walking and i'm sure he did it a lot.
It is indeed true that Tolkiens books make people aware of nature again and that they make people love trees more then before. For sure reading Tolkiens works in the open air must be a fantastic experience... so why not walk somewhere and find a nice spot outside to read.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 4th, 2006, 8:26 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Whoa, that is so like me! o_o It's very saddening...there aren't an incredible amount of places to walk where I live, and I wish there were. FORESTS. Where you didn't have to walk and worry about crazy people on bikes.

Although...my best friend came and has stayed with us since the 26th, and one day we decided to go for a long walk. My dad told us about a trail down the hill to a river, so we found it and walked. It was just so cool--we decided it was definitely a hobbit forest, as it was too small to be Fangorn, and too inviting to be Mirkwood, and not Elf-like at all. We found walking sticks and carried our backpacks and role-played.... And then, because the start of the trail has a gate...we left the dirt and path and went over the bridge onto the gravel part of the path...then we put down our walking sticks and went through the gate, and I seriously felt we were in a different world. We were not Bilbo and Frodo anymore...we were Katie and Jen in a suburban neighbourhood with houses and cars and bikes and streetlights and concrete roads. So odd.

Sorry for getting so off-topic. ^^;

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 5th, 2006, 4:23 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

lol... i think you are closer to the topic then you can imagine. The whole travel the fellowship makes crosses so many countries and landscapes. There are so many visial elements where there are borders crossed. Like you crossed the gate and came inside the traffic again. We see this inside the books when the hobbits leave the shire, when the cross the gates of Moria, when they cross the crossroads. Every time a new world opens up for them. Good for us, Tolkien always showed us the positive side of the new places, even the darkest have still something positive. Tolkien in his true life encountered the same crossings many time. He went from South-Afrika to England, from rural england to the city,... from peace into war and this two times... all this must be reflected in the books. And in essence, the scouring of the shire, is true proof of this. It is the most essential part of the books. We are now stuck inside this world and will have to find ways to go forward.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 5th, 2006, 6:31 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

you are so on topic, its a shame there arnt that many walking trails neer my house, just surburban adelaide, but at the moment cause im in germany im closser to this country road and i just walk along that, at home i walk to and from the city and other places i wanna get to. there are small parks and theres a short trail under a line of big trees i can walk through to get to the city, its nice and peacfull. the lack of walking trails means that my best walks and journeys are dreams or day dreams. i sometimes sit in class and just day dream that im of on the long trail to rivendell or on my way back home to the shire. much more intresting that class.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 6th, 2006, 7:09 pm 
Vala
Vala

I love walking. The problem is, I dont have a good forest near my house. I have to walk through the thin line of trees that surround the little river along the walking path. And its really thick and hard to get through. I always end up with brambles in my hair.

I also like to follow animal tracks to thier dens. Its feels like such a victory when I foolow their trails and find where they live!

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 7th, 2006, 9:32 am 

This is a great thread. :)
I love the variety of forests and places in LotR. And since I've read the books, there's rarely a path that doesn't remind me of Middle-Earth in some way! I remember walking on a local island and seeing a beautiful, knarled tree...my friends and I climbed it, and sat in the branches (I think I even sang In the Willow-Meads of Tasarinan!). My family has always been fairly outdoors-oriented, and books renewed that in me.
My mom and I know several rounds and walking songs that remind me of LotR, which we sing when we're hiking, on trips, or just walking around the neighboorhood. An example:
The road is calling
For leaves are falling
It's back to home
My travels are now done
I'll sit by the fire
And drink a toast to all of you
Farewell, I must be gone.
It's really reminiscent of some of Bilbo's travels, and that's one of the things I think of when I sing it. I love going on walks in randomly chosen places, on the spur of the moment! Once Mom and I got out of the car and walked up and back a mile on a power line area near a highway. Somehow, being anywhere outdoors, the ocean, the mountains, the woods (all of which I'm blessed to have near me), brings me closer to Tolkien's works.

(Ahh...I rambled a bit. Hope you don't mind.)

Kudos to Kitoky for the fabulous signature set, and art credit to engelszorn.
Who wants to join me in bringing back the lady?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 7th, 2006, 10:11 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I am quite used to walking. The town I live in is small enough, so that you can move around well enough without using cars/buses etc. There are also a nice little forest not far from my home :) .

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 9th, 2006, 12:08 am 
Vala
Vala

I wish I had a nice forest near my house. But I don't. Sigh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 9th, 2006, 8:34 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Myeh...must...have...more...forests!! They're cutting them down all over my hill. *Cries* At least the trail is still there. I need more oppurtunites to feel hobbit-like!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 9th, 2006, 8:48 pm 
Vala
Vala

Araturiel wrote:
Myeh...must...have...more...forests!! They're cutting them down all over my hill. *Cries* At least the trail is still there. I need more oppurtunites to feel hobbit-like!

I want to feel hobbit like too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 12th, 2006, 5:51 pm 
Vala
Vala

Where's some ents when we need them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 13th, 2006, 11:34 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Now THAT would be awesome. :p

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 14th, 2006, 12:48 am 
Vala
Vala

You know what? I'm gonna go find some ents. and then I'll tell them to attack all the evil people who are knocking down forests.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 15th, 2006, 7:14 pm 

We live on the outside of Bristol, kind of out in the country. I love taking walks in the woods and through people's feilds. It's rather nice, and very relaxing. The scenery always reminds me of Hobbits.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next