Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: 17 years of B-Day Parties?!? Ch. 2 Discussion
PostPosted: February 21st, 2006, 11:28 pm 

Reading the second chapter in the first book of FotR again, I noticed some things. First, that Frodo continues holding a PARTY every year to celebrate both his AND Bilbo's birthday. That means that he kept it up for 17 years before the story picks up again! I knew it was a while, but 17 years?!? Wow! :blink: Have you ever wondered why his fellow hobbits thought him a bit batty? Well, 17 years of b-day parties after someone dissapears would seem rather extraordinary!

Another thing I'm wondering about: the contrast given here between Sam, the seemingly simple gardener, and Frodo, the restless but cautious gentlehobbit. While in some ways Tolkien presents them as very different, I'm starting to think they might have more similarities than meets the eye at first glance. Such as, their preception of things, their love of knowledge and of elven lore.

Wdyt? Have you noticed anything else?

Last edited by Ivreniel on February 23rd, 2006, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2006, 10:55 pm 
Vala
Vala

The reason he keeps giving a birthday party is because it is also his birthday. Bilbo's and Frodo's birthday are on the same day, Sept 22.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2006, 3:36 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Sept 22? i should remember that...

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2006, 7:32 pm 
Vala
Vala

Yeah. I remember that Sept 22 was the date that Nathan Hale was hanged, only because it was Sept 22.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2006, 7:53 pm 

Quote:
The reason he keeps giving a birthday party is because it is also his birthday. Bilbo's and Frodo's birthday are on the same day, Sept 22.

Yes, I remembered that. I was just noticing for the first time that 17 years of birthday parties honoring not just Frodo but also Bilbo whom the hobbits THOUGHT was a goner would seem weird even to us, if we had a friend who shared a b-day with his uncle/cousin, who happened to dissapear, yet for 17 years that friend celebrated BOTH birthdays.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2006, 10:51 pm 
Vala
Vala

Yeah, that is wierd, but for 33 years thier birthday's (and all of Frodo's life) were celebrated on the same day with this big monsterous birthday party. Maybe Frodo din't want to stop that tradition.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]