Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently May 9th, 2024, 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: July 30th, 2006, 8:47 pm 

Sinbearer wrote:
It really boils down to two words—Aragorn was a servant leader. No man can aspire to be more than that.

I'd have never thought of looking at Aragorn's aspects that way. But it is true! We tend to give Aragorn the title of a "general" leader in respect to him being a king, leader of the Fellowship, and a warrior. But you really pinpointed it by asking what kind of leader Aragorn is, for there are many different kinds.
A servant leader does not lord over, and do what only himself wants, but he takes others words' into consideration, listens, and does what's best for everyones interests.

Post subject: I aspire to be
PostPosted: September 1st, 2006, 1:32 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

As I think about these things Larael, I feel in some ways that Aragorn is almost greater than life. When I look at my life it can almost seem impossible that I could actually become what he was. Maybe that is why I really resonated with what Will quoted from John Rhys-Davies:
"In our dreams we are hero's. In our dreams we would wish to be courageous and noble, and dignified and passionate and strong. In our dreams we are aspired to be an Aragorn"

It is so true. I do aspire to be an Aragorn.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 1st, 2006, 1:09 pm 

Yes, I agree with you on that Aragorn was a servant leader...servant king...
Sinbearer, have you ever read any of John Eldredge's books especially the book Epic? If you haven't I'd recommend them. I think Aragorn fits perfectly what the author says about being a warrior.

While I don't aspire to be an Aragorn, I admire his nobility and wisdom. I think that's why women like his character, because he is a strong man, but good. He is a little rugged from living in the wild...but completely dedicated to his mission and calling in life. I think people love heroes who are display those characteristics, because that's what we want for ourselves...we want to be those people. We want to be a part of the stories that we love because of those reasons.

Post subject: A tribute
PostPosted: September 1st, 2006, 1:23 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

vikingmaiden wrote:
While I don't aspire to be an Aragorn, I admire his nobility and wisdom. I think that's why women like his character, because he is a strong man, but good. He is a little rugged from living in the wild...but completely dedicated to his mission and calling in life. I think people love heroes who are display those characteristics, because that's what we want for ourselves...we want to be those people. We want to be a part of the stories that we love because of those reasons.

The way you put that Vikingmaiden is beautiful and moving. You have a way with words. I have read a couple of John Eldridge's books but not Epic. I will have to read it.

I know that there are many great and moving books in the world. I have read some of them. It is curious to me that these particular books have such a deep impact on me and cause me to think and rethink many of the deep things of life. A tribute to Tolkien I think.

Post subject: Re: A tribute
PostPosted: September 1st, 2006, 1:34 pm 

Sinbearer wrote:
I know that there are many great and moving books in the world. I have read some of them. It is curious to me that these particular books have such a deep impact on me and cause me to think and rethink many of the deep things of life. A tribute to Tolkien I think.

That's interesting what you said about how those certain books cause you to think about deep things of life. I think the heroes of these books also cause us to want to be better people, to actually search for meaning.

One of my professors said something very inspiring the other day...'people these days have forgotten how to ask good questions!' It's really caused me to actually want to ask those questions that really matter...not just 'what's for lunch today?' or something mundane like that.

So, it is those stories that really make us want to break away from the mediocre life and to enter into something that is an adventure, or a quest, pilgrimage...whatever you want to call it.

So, a bit off topic, but I feel it's important also when thinking about Aragorn in this light. :)

Post subject: To catch the vision...
PostPosted: September 7th, 2006, 3:22 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I couldn’t agree with you more Vikingmaiden! I have sooooo felt the pull of these adventures and heroes like Aragorn in my life. I know my boys feel it too.

Veith says that in good stories “children are taught the attractiveness of virtue and the repulsiveness of evil not so much by abstract precept—and certainly not by school’s ‘values clarification exercises’—but by rooting for virtuous heroes and being inspired by a good story to emulate their behavior…imaginative wrestling with conflicts is exactly how stories teach morality and build character”.

I think the sweeping appeal of LotR comes from Tolkien’s ability to tell a story that can convince us that we, too, are part of a story—a story even more wonderful than LotR, though it is similar in many ways. My boys, and I think many adolescents, find in LotR the excitement of adventure and of the challenge of becoming a man (or woman). They find in it the mysteries of friendship lived in the face of death, and of the self-sacrifice that is necessary that others may live. And it dawns on them that this is not just a story but their story!

When we see the awesome qualities of Aragorn (and many other characters in the story) contrasted against such evil characters, it changes our lives. I guess Tolkien said it best when he said that “Good fantasy is escapist in a good sense: it enables us to flee into reality.”

That is true! There is nothing better than a great story—a book like LotR to capture our imaginations and help us catch life’s vision.

Post subject: Re: To catch the vision...
PostPosted: September 7th, 2006, 9:14 pm 

Sinbearer wrote:
I guess Tolkien said it best when he said that “Good fantasy is escapist in a good sense: it enables us to flee into reality.”

Ah, Sinbearer, you've brought such an encouragement to me just now! The characters of LotR (and really, any good story) are swept up into an adventure where they are a part of something much bigger and grander than themselves. That's how I feel right now...and it's exciting!

I think of that quote from the Fellowship, made in reference to Aragorn...'not all that wander are lost'...it can be paralleled to our own lives. We are walking a path, and though we feel we have no direction...we do not have to be lost.

I think Aragorn personifies a lot of qualities that we admire, or think are necessary for a good man. When I say 'good' I don't mean goody-goody, or always does everything perfectly. I mean Aragorn is the ideal good man. He is noble and fierce, yet incredibly tender...with the hands of a healer. There is so much we can find in his character.

Post subject: Not all who wander are lost....
PostPosted: September 9th, 2006, 3:14 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

vikingmaiden wrote:
I think of that quote from the Fellowship, made in reference to Aragorn...'not all that wander are lost'...it can be paralleled to our own lives. We are walking a path, and though we feel we have no direction...we do not have to be lost.

That is a striking thought Vikingmaiden! I totally missed Tolkiens deeper meaning in that quote. Thanks for bringing that up. And your comments on it were perfect...we don't have to be lost even though most of us feel like we are wandering.

Last edited by Sinbearer on September 15th, 2006, 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 15th, 2006, 11:37 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

I consider Aragorn an authentic model of heroism, pacifism, love and honesty, you know. Nowadays, it seems there's no place for these features, I know but thinking about how Tolkien drew him, it always makes me think about how great world would be if each of us was as Aragorn. but...it's only a Tolkien's fan opinion. Loads of people, who don't feel attraction for Tolkien's works would say I'm completely mad but... :)

Since I met u, I knew you were special :) thank you for everything Fer ^^
How do you go on when in your heart you begin to understand, there's no going back?

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 17th, 2006, 12:54 pm 

Ring_Bearer wrote:
I consider Aragorn an authentic model of heroism, pacifism, love and honesty, you know. Nowadays, it seems there's no place for these features, I know but thinking about how Tolkien drew him, it always makes me think about how great world would be if each of us was as Aragorn. but...it's only a Tolkien's fan opinion. Loads of people, who don't feel attraction for Tolkien's works would say I'm completely mad but... :)

Hi Ring_bearer! I'm just curious, what do you mean by Aragorn's model of pacifism? I'm interested by the subject and would like to hear your thoughts on it. :)

Post subject: The ultimate solution?
PostPosted: September 17th, 2006, 8:02 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Ring Bearer, I think your opinion of how we should look up to Aragorn is right on! Just because others may not be attracted to Tolkiens work enough to really understand it doesn’t make it any less true and inspiring to those of us who are.

I would also like to hear your comments on what you meant by pacifism. Thinking about it I had to ask the question, “In the end, where does the idea that you cannot use the Ring against Sauron take us?” For me, it comes again down to the fact that the end doesn’t justify the means. Only good—self-sacrifice and righteousness can defeat evil. The question is, “Is the evil of war totally unrighteous or can it be used for good?” What a question!—because if we say that it cannot be used for good then we are accosted by a host of “buts” and “what ifs”.

It would seem to me, though, that the most of the moral protagonists in LotR, including Aragorn, believed in war as a last resort—when they could not escape. But I think they also believed that war wasn’t the ultimate solution. In LotR, Gandolf and Aragorn repeatedly expressed that fighting could only bide time until the solution could be put in place. Because of this, would you term Aragorn a dovish or pragmatic pacifist?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3