Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 24th, 2024, 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next

Do you think it was hard to read FOTR?
yes, very hard 10%  10%  [ 18 ]
yes, a little 45%  45%  [ 81 ]
no 45%  45%  [ 82 ]
Total votes : 181
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 17th, 2006, 3:11 am 
Vala
Vala

Lol, I never had a problem picturing the battles....I just filled in with my imagination.

The Legolas stunts are cool, but nothing to shriek over. I don't remmeber anyone at the theater doing anything different at that scene....we all just sat and watched in silence. I might have smiled, but....nothing major. I was still getting over the shock of the Elves being there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 17th, 2006, 7:09 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

The first time I read the Fellowship I just remember finding it gripping. I loved the descriptions, loved the characters and then later, after the Balrog battle I actually found it difficult to continue reading, I had grown that attached to Gandalf and just felt it was too hard to carry on with the books after that. I think that i went on to reread them again the following year. And each September I reread the Trilogy and also the Chronicles of Narnia (all 7). It was just the start of a new term at university andthat was my escape time or something like that. I dont remember the names of the places as being a problem, though I do think of weather top by that name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 18th, 2006, 4:46 am 
Half-elf
Half-elf

Haha, nice, Zamorak Flame. I've never succeeded to read in bed after mom's come and told me to go to sleep. I might try it sometime, though.

I revisited AU on Jan 14th after an almost 10-year break! The nostalgia..!

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2006, 7:12 am 
Dunadan
Dunadan

I read it when I was 9 (with the help of a dictionary) and I really enjoyed it though on a grammatically challenging level it was hard. I loved the hobbit and so I found the book up in the loft and went about reading it. Certain things were hard to comprehend and there were parts my mother helped me with when there were just too many hard words, but all in all it really captivated me.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2006, 9:35 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

I think that these books have a deep "attractive" content. If you're interested in literature, no way, then you're going to be amazed with them. Well, they are kinda hard to understand when you're very young but if you have grown up surrounded by this kinda literature, in the end, the books end up being a pleasurable reading. I loved reading them, and I'm gonna read them once again. It was easy for me to make the stories happen in my mind (thx to tolkien's way of telling things) :)

Since I met u, I knew you were special :) thank you for everything Fer ^^
How do you go on when in your heart you begin to understand, there's no going back?

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2006, 10:24 am 
Vala
Vala

Location: somewhere sympathy is more than just a way of leaving

A very nice post Ring bearer. I agree with you. They are sort of hard when you're younger, but if you've grown up reading books, then you'll love them when you are able to understand them. You're right, Tolkien creates such vivid imagery (for me at least), that you get to have your own Middle-earth inside your head. It's really great. I think it's one of those undescribable qualities that makes LOTR so special, that it is so real and that we can relate to it and see it clearly. we struggle alongside the chqaracters when they struggle, and when they triumph, we triumph with them. That's one of the marsk of powerful writing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2006, 2:05 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

Yeah, LotR wasn't just a book. Tolkien wrote whole languages and drew maps... he really through himself into creating this world and really left no stone un-turned. Heck I know the history of Middle Earth better than our own.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2006, 2:11 pm 
Vala
Vala

Well, Tolkien did leave certain things unanswered, he did leave certain things blank, but I like that about his works too. He gives us enough details to enable us to create Middle-earth in our minds, but he also leaves blanks for us to fill with our own fancy and imagination.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2006, 5:46 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Yeah, that's so true Tinuviel's Tears. I guess each of us have created an image of the Middle Earth that, dunno, helps us to think of the possibility that this world may exist. You know, I posted somewhere the fact of knowing that ME was only a creation by a human mind (a gorgeous human mind anyway) and it doesn't exist...It would be great in a way. And when you are a child, you're ME is different from the one you create when you're older. And yep, I also agree with ya when you talk about the imagery (special imagery) Tolkien created :)

Since I met u, I knew you were special :) thank you for everything Fer ^^
How do you go on when in your heart you begin to understand, there's no going back?

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2006, 8:45 pm 
Vala
Vala

Thanks Ring bearer. I have a thought that we all have this Middle-earth created in our minds. We each have our wn version of it engraved there. Only Tolkien had the true Middle-earth, the real one, but he was able to enter into his world so vividly that he could communicate such amazing accounts of it to us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 29th, 2006, 6:56 am 
Half-elf
Half-elf

when i finished reading LotR (a year ago.. :blush: ) I started to see my own world in a whole new way. how people interact, what makes them do things, why some people are cruel and do evil things. And I also enjoy it very much, reading LotR, because when I do, I concentrate on that, only, and I forget everything else around me. I am in Middle-Earth.

I revisited AU on Jan 14th after an almost 10-year break! The nostalgia..!

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 29th, 2006, 9:39 am 

I read The Fellowship as part of my cirriculum in 3rd. grade
.. I had an insane english teacher, who was extremly inspirational
...we jumped from Narnia, to LotR, to Shakespeare..in the span of 3 school years, from 3rd to 6th grade
..wild time, but fun...!

MvL/Nurr
my Aragorn

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 29th, 2006, 9:57 am 
Istari
Istari

Well, I think the first chapters of FOTR were a bit hard to read, but as I had watched the movie before (I read all three books between the release of FOTR and TTT), I had a strong motivation to go on.

<center>
~thanks to: Johnny's Fan (animated banner)~
~icons made by me~

My site: ~Evenstar Dreams~<center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 6th, 2006, 12:46 pm 
Maia
Maia

No... it wasn't, not for me... Probably because I was so excited to be reading it that I read it so easily.

PM me with prayer requests
www.therebelution.com
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 14th, 2006, 9:22 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

The first chapter is quite hard but really interesting when you just have some interest in Middle Earth and Shire and not only Frodo's quest.
I think I can call LOTR and middle earth one of my main passions so it was not so hard ^^

But The Hobbit is a lot easier and I love reading it again and again and again ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 18th, 2006, 11:21 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

well, no, not really. i read ti quite fast. first time... about 2 years ago, i think.

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next