Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Aragorn's telling of Luthien
PostPosted: June 15th, 2008, 1:54 pm 
Maia
Maia

Hey :)
I was reading the part in FOTR when Aragorn tells the hobbits about the tale of Beren and Luthien the other day, and really got drawn into the way he told it. It's because he associates Arwen with Luthien, and probably thinks that in Arwen loving him, he has given her the same fate as Luthien - i.e., death. This is just a theory I have. Anyway, does anyone else like this bit of the book?
The part of the song that is in FOTR is beautiful too. I love the whole Aragorn and Arwen set-up, because it reminds me so much of Beren and Luthien! It's sad but beautiful. I love the idea of mortals and immortals falling in love, though of course it is genuinely heart-breaking, that one of them will die and leave the other alone when that happens. But it makes a good tale to tell.
Does anyone else like this section of the book?
~Goldleafxxx

P.S. I loved Aragorn's story about it so much that I requested this Beren and Luthien banner <3 :)

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 15th, 2008, 3:17 pm 
Vala
Vala

Yeah, I very much enjoyed that bit. I don't know that I enjoyed it more than most other parts, but I know it really touched me more than most other parts of most other books. ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 30th, 2008, 9:07 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

It was lovely. I love it when Aragorn tells stories! <3

Post subject: Re: Aragorn's telling of Luthien
PostPosted: July 26th, 2008, 6:07 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: From the north I have come, need has driven me and I have passed the doors to the path of the M6

~Goldleaf~ wrote:
Hey :)
I was reading the part in FOTR when Aragorn tells the hobbits about the tale of Beren and Luthien the other day, and really got drawn into the way he told it. It's because he associates Arwen with Luthien, and probably thinks that in Arwen loving him, he has given her the same fate as Luthien - i.e., death. This is just a theory I have. Anyway, does anyone else like this bit of the book?
The part of the song that is in FOTR is beautiful too. I love the whole Aragorn and Arwen set-up, because it reminds me so much of Beren and Luthien! It's sad but beautiful. I love the idea of mortals and immortals falling in love, though of course it is genuinely heart-breaking, that one of them will die and leave the other alone when that happens. But it makes a good tale to tell.
Does anyone else like this section of the book?
~Goldleafxxx

P.S. I loved Aragorn's story about it so much that I requested this Beren and Luthien banner <3 :)

DISCLAIMER- All ramblings below are mine, and I take no responsibiliy for them making sense :P

Aragorns telling of the tale of Luthien is a nice point in the novel, not least in that its where Tolkien gets into his element. I mean, such an environment, around a fire, a tale being told, thats really the kind of environment where tales would be told, in any culture, but especially the kind fo Anglo Saxon one that Tolkien loved. Legends of heroism, deeds of Derring do and tradgedies that had been paased down by the Bards and taletellers for generations. It just adds a richness to the tale that only that could provide.
:)
Mephiston

"This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and counsels of the Great. Who of all the Wise could have foreseen it? Or, if they are wise, why should they expect to know it, until the hour has struck? "

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]