Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Richard Armitage
PostPosted: February 18th, 2013, 6:40 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

He played Thorin Oakenshield in the Hobbit, Sir Guy in BBC Robin Hood, Mr. Thornton in BBC North and South, an assassin in Captain America, and plenty of other people in movies I don't know. I think he's an amazing actor, not to mention looks are on his side. :p

So what do you think of him?

Post subject: Re: Richard Armitage
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2013, 11:22 am 
Istari
Istari

I think Richard Armitage did a spectacular job as Thorin in the Hobbit. Thorin is a challenging characters to play and he did a great job portraying Thorin Oakenshield

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 11th, 2013, 10:16 pm 
Istari
Istari

Richard Armitage is my new favorite actor at the moment. I've seen him in North and South and The Hobbit and I think that he did a spectacular job in both roles. His acting style is wonderful because it's extremely intense, but at the same time quiet and measured. It's hard to describe... but he's definitely very charismatic. (Also, he's pretty nice to look at... *points to banner* :swoon: )

married Mr. Darcy 6/14/2012

PostPosted: April 16th, 2013, 3:11 am 

^ Same for me, Richard is also currently my favorite actor. He convinced me to like Thorin, something I never thought possible after the book. Even though the character was the same as in the book, RA managed to give it more depth which made his moody behaviour more understandable.

After that I came across "North and South", where he also showed a wonderful and believable transformation from moody, untouchable mill owner (as he was initially regarded by Margaret, who had already decided to dislike him) to a sweet and sensitive man. I was especially amazed by how everything in his posture and body language changed, it makes his roles so convincible :)

And apart from his acting qualities, he is also very fine to look at, and his voice is amazing. So yes, I'm a fan :happy:

EDIT: I've moved this topic to Mirkwood (LotR & Hobbit Actor Discussion) :)

PostPosted: April 16th, 2013, 5:30 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

He's been my favorite since Valentine's Day. No, I didn't first see The Hobbit on Valentine's Day (like I'd wait that long to go to one of Peter Jackson's movies based on any of Tolkien's works), it was shortly after the seventh time, but the last time I've seen it in 3D.

The only other movie I've seen that Richard was in is Star Wars: Episode 1: The Phantom Menace. He has a small uncredited role as a Naboo Fighter Pilot (I had to look that up on IMDB when I saw the movie listed in the Official Movie Guide to AUJ). Next time it's on television (and there's nothing better on), I'll have to watch it (even if it means I have to sit through two and a half hours of Jar Jar Binks again. Ick, I'd much rather watch The Hobbit or any other movie) and see if I can recognize him.

Although they say looks isn't everything, it certainly doesn't hurt. Due to starring in a major fantasy trilogy like The Hobbit, newer fans like myself seem to be popping up all over the place. Not necessarily a bad thing. ;-)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 20th, 2013, 8:06 pm 

Lhunardaien wrote:
After that I came across "North and South", where he also showed a wonderful and believable transformation from moody, untouchable mill owner to sweet and sensitive man. I was especially amazed by how everything in his posture and body language changed, it makes his roles so convincible :)

I know this is sort of off topic, buuuut.....I don't believe Mr. Thornton was a moody, untouchable man. He was actually quite personable and friendly, but Margaret decided to not like him just because he was a northerner. And if someone is haughty and aloof to you all the time, you'll sort of be the same back.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 21st, 2013, 5:23 pm 

^ Not really off-topic 'cause it's still about Richard Armitage right? ;-)

After re-watching N&S I have to agree with you. He introduced himself really friendly to the Hale family, but it was Margaret who immediately started to disagree with him, thereby turning him against her. But because the book (and probably therefore the series) are mainly written from Margaret's point of view, he is portrayed as a mr. grumpy until the very end.

But look, I even changed my original 'review' of his character ^ He deserves a more positive story.

PostPosted: January 1st, 2014, 3:25 am 
Maia
Maia

I really liked him in North and South. And he does a good job as Thorin.