Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: the Council of Elrond!
PostPosted: October 5th, 2015, 8:50 am 
Dunadan
Dunadan

I have been a member of the Council of Elrond since 2006 and am quite active there.

That site has survived several hackings and many things have changed over the years.

I will continue being active there but I have been enjoying this site so far. There are a lot of things to explore.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2015, 1:49 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

I looked at the site many times and joined once but there was so much there it took so much time. I ended up just spending my time here because I already knew people here.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: October 5th, 2015, 9:41 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I'm a member too. My username is Lady Oakenshield. I've actually had two accounts, but asked to get the first one deleted (which they can only lock, probably because the upgrade doesn't allow them to delete accounts) since I wasn't as into the villains as I was when I first joined. I don't post there much, since I'm more on TORN (theOneRing.net), Ao3 (which is short for Archive of Our Own) or tumblr (which is now a multi fandom blog, but since it's mostly naughty, it's still tagged as adult orientated. You'll either find the link in my profile, or on a few threads in the revival section). :)

Last edited by Marida on September 21st, 2016, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: October 6th, 2015, 1:09 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

Marida, I have seen Lady Oakenshield on the Council of Elrond many times. On that site, I am known as Lindarielwen.

Jax Nova, I say the same things about this site as you say about the Council. New things take some getting used to but I am enjoying this site very much.

PostPosted: October 7th, 2015, 1:43 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

I am glad you are enjoying this site.

I wanted to be active on the council, I just don't have the time to be active on two forums. (Hardly the time to stay consistently active on one anymore). So I just atuck with the one that I already knew.

PostPosted: October 7th, 2015, 3:21 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I'm a member of the Council of Elrond and have been one for a number of years. I guess it is my primary Tolkien site. I'm a Mod on the site so I spend quite a bit of time there, but I'm enjoying this site as well. I think all of the Tolkien sites are struggling a bit right now. Membership interest and numbers, unfortunately, did not get much of a boost from The Hobbit trilogy.

PostPosted: October 8th, 2015, 12:19 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Yeah I noticed that.... I wonder why the hobbit sidn't seem to do much for the sites?

PostPosted: October 18th, 2015, 9:54 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I don't think The Hobbit was as popular a book. It was written for children and most of the really dedicated Tolkien fans are older than that intended audience. PJ furthered this impression by making films that were, essentially, geared to a younger audience ..... Radagast and his idiotic rabbits come to mind; as does the depiction of the Dwarfs when they have dinner at Bag End. Although we may have read the book, it is likely to be near the bottom of any "favourite Tolkien book" list. Further, it is more likely that we read The Hobbit after we read the Lord of the Rings as a way of getting Bilbo's story in greater detail.

Most of the existing fan sites date back to the LotR films and are populated by older enthusiasts of Tolkien material. Most of us aren't just fans of his work. Over the years, we've become scholars of his work, and the site forums and threads reflect that fact. Speaking from my experience as the Games Moderator on Council of Elrond, I generally find the newer members on that site are 13-16 years of age. And, while they are happy to play games, they're not terribly interested in joining in discussions.**

Not to say that they're not intelligent because they are. In fact most of them are quite amazing, and a joy to interact with but, they seem to have much shorter attention spans than we older folk, preferring to 'flit' from thread to thread rather than engage in lengthy and time consuming conversation.

** I think many of them join CoE as a way to learn Elvish languages. Whether or not they persist with the courses, I have no idea, so I can't comment on to what extent they are successful in this endeavour.

PostPosted: October 19th, 2015, 6:10 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

That would make sense... *nods*. I had not thought of it quite that way.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2016, 6:53 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

I joined CoE back in ... '03 sometime as Arassuil. Mainly commented on the picture gallery and such... made about 15 posts on the forum. I had to change my email due to a crazy X-concubine I had a wild fling with for a few months wanting more after I broke it off (met her via RP writing on another Tolkien messageboard). I then forgot my CoE password and couldn't reset it because I had deleted the email account. So I registered as Arveleg later in '03 sometime. Have gone from being relatively active for periods of time broken by times of not visiting much at all. The last "upgrade" in I think 2012 over there really trashed the links and such, and there doesn't appear to be anyone there with the time or knowledge or is willing or able to put the effort into fixing all the bugs. I thought it worked quite well before the "upgrade". I've been sort of a Tolkien messageboard tart through the years, signing up for so many over the years. Most have gone dormant or have disappeared when the hosting service or domain name expired. I never found or registered here until '07. This place seems quite stable in its platform.

Anyway, been on CoE a bit more the last few weeks or so, and was a bit a year or so ago writing in some RP stories. Planning on trying another there now, as there are some good collaborative writers over there. I noted that today I have been getting an archived page from a page filler service while CoE is offline. Hope it's temporary.

Evil Shieldmaiden is spot on in her analysis. I'll add that there was no real increase in interest with the Hobbit movies because it wasn't really anything new. Back when I first got involved with Tolkien internet sites in 1999, the fact that movies were being made was an exciting new thing, and the internet tech was quite different at the time too. It wasn't so much instantaneous as it is now. I struggled along with a 28.8Kbs telephone dial-up service until about 2002 when cable "broadband" finally made it to the local hamlet, so messageboards were an ideal tech for such connection speeds.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: September 21st, 2016, 11:49 am 
Istari
Istari

I tried joining it but it wouldn't send me the confirmation email.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2016, 6:50 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

I think I had the same issue Boromir. Either that or I joined and never got on for some reason.

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2016, 8:24 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Hey Captain... I thought I saw you posting over there. If there is something wrong with the confirmation and people get cut off, that would explain the hundreds of people who only post once, twice or maybe three times before disappearing. Like I said... the place is rampant with bugs like that.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2016, 2:23 pm 
Istari
Istari

Yeah it let me in for one day but since then it says I need the confirmation email sent. So I gave up.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2016, 6:07 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

I'm surprised the place is still so poular if it has so many buggs.... I wish some of those people would come rhis direction. Lol

PostPosted: September 29th, 2016, 4:13 pm 
Istari
Istari

I agree!

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next