Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 18th, 2024, 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 27th, 2007, 7:58 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I liked Eowyn in both film and book. I really sympathised for her. Though in the book she came across more down and sorrowful. Her pleads for Aragorn to take her with him on the paths of the dead were almost heartbreaking.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 30th, 2007, 2:05 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Eowyn has always been my favorite. I find her character a bit endearing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 30th, 2007, 3:34 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

I saw the film before I read the book. I like both the film Eowyn and the book Eowyn. They are different and yet they are the same. I like the phrase someone used earlier "quiet strength" for that is what she possessed. Eowyn desired to fight for what she believed in and yet was constantly held back. In Aragorn she saw a man who held her as an equal and for whom she desired to stand shoulder-to-shoulder to fight to the death for Rohan. As Aragorn stated: "It is a shadow and a thought that you love". It, in actuality, was not him that she loved and he knew that. I also agree that the passage in the book where she bends on her knees and begs to go with him to the Paths of the Dead to be a heart-renching part to read, for this tells us much about the heart of Eowyn. She sought glory and battle, not to constantly be left behind. She had the heart of a warrior. In the book, we can read of her thoughts and know this more in depth, yet I believe that Miranda Otto brought this to life on the screen in an excellent way. I did not see her as just a woman chasing another man, but as a woman desiring to define herself as more than she was being allowed to be. And she proved herself to be just that! And, gladly, did find true love in the wonderful Faramir who valued her for all that she is!

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 30th, 2007, 4:26 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Yeah I watched the film before I read the book. After seeing how the character was portrayed on screen I couldn't wait to read about her. I simply wanted to know more. She is my favourite character of all, but I couldn't help thinking Eowyn was more sorrowful in the book than what she was in the movie.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 10th, 2008, 8:25 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

i didnt like ewoyn in the TT when she was introduced at first because i hadn't read the book and didnt read much into her. She seemed to be just a damsel in distress who seemed too dramatic. but boy, did that view point change soon after i read the books and watched the third movie. I love her just how she is. and i practically squeel everytime i think of her and Faramir together. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2008, 1:57 am 
Balrog
Balrog

Before I saw the movies (and thus before I read the books), I saw Eowyn in the light of man-stealer. I didn't like her because it looked like she was always making a move on Aragorn! But after seeing TTT & RotK, I like her. Moreso after she meets Faramir, but hey. She's very strong but cold. She wanted to get out of her cage, and she thought Aragorn was her only chance of that. Then Faramir came along :)

I'm just a whisper of smoke
I'm all that's left of two hearts on fire
That once burned out of control
You took my body and soul
I'm just a ghost in this house

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 17th, 2008, 9:34 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

ummm hard..................book i think!though i think shes fantastic in the movie!

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 17th, 2008, 8:40 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

The tragedy of Eowyn in the books was brought to light when she was first introduced to us in the Two Towers movie with her grieving over her brother and the creepy lurking of Grima. However, P.J.'s writing into it more than there was between her and Aragorn, and shorting what developed between her and Faramir in the Houses of Healing kind of took away from the character as presented in the book and made her look like a desperate royalty gold-digger forced to settle for second best. To P.J.'s credit, his developing the love-interest angle between her and Aragorn made for good movie, and to Miranda Otto's credit, she brought the Eowyn book-character to life as much as she could under the limiting parameters of the screenplay.

As for me, I like book Eowyn because she was who I come to know as Eowyn from my many readings of the books in the years before the P.J. movie interpretation.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2008, 4:29 pm 
Istari
Istari

I like Eowyn in both, but I think I prefer her in the movies. I dunno. I guess I'm not a die-hard Tolkienist. lol I love how they protrayed Eowyn's relationship with Aragorn because *gasp* I am an A/E shipper! *runs away from tomatoes* heehee

In the books, I loved her hard elegance, her strength. I'm more familiar with the movies, though, and I think even though PJ made her more approachable, she still fits the book's descriptions. I have never thought that she was a man stealer because, well, she thought Arwen was out of the picture! In the movies, at least, Aragorn tells her that Arwen sailed to the Grey Havens. I do wish that they had put more F/E in the movies because it would have made a lot more sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 4th, 2009, 9:53 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

In my opinion I like Éowyn better in films than in book.
In book she is so cold and somehow she has given up. But in films she has more hope.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3