Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 17th, 2024, 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6th, 2007, 7:55 am 
Dunadan
Dunadan

...and to think that Theoden (mostly) withstood the power of Saruman's voice...
I think I agree with Aerandir :-D on Aragorn...
Does he have any weak spots? I never noticed one...

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6th, 2007, 10:17 am 
Vala
Vala

Did who have any weak spots--Aragorn or Théoden?

Aragorn had them, I'm sure, but they were probably a lot less in number than Théoden's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 8th, 2007, 5:33 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

I guess Theoden felt younger after Gandalfs help. In film they wanted to show us his changing and Gandalfs power.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 13th, 2007, 6:06 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: From the north I have come, need has driven me and I have passed the doors to the path of the M6

I think that the constant control of Theoden By saruman weakened Theoden as its hardly gonna be easy to have your mind ruled by someone else. This probably took alot of theodens strength as he would probably try to resist and when Gandalf got rid fo Saruman, that strength sorta returned to him.Am I making sense here?

"This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and counsels of the Great. Who of all the Wise could have foreseen it? Or, if they are wise, why should they expect to know it, until the hour has struck? "

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 15th, 2007, 6:32 am 
Maia
Maia

Theoden's mind was slowly poisoned as he probably let down his guard a bit. Aragorn is much stronger than Theoden in that sense, anywho. Nobody is perfect, so yes, Aragorn would have had a weakness or two. What they would be, I don't know.

PM me with prayer requests
www.therebelution.com
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Wow!
PostPosted: May 30th, 2007, 4:06 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

All of you know how to make one think! I had originally thought that of those taken by lust for the ring, Boromir was the only one that came back from the dark side and repented. I know that Theoden never had direct contact with the ring but he did make just a dramatic a change. He broke away from lies and pride and humbled himself. It was then he could see reason and light. I have to greatly admire him for that. He could have responded so differently!

I think Tolkien is using Theoden to illustrate and symbolize the power of a renewed mind that humbles itself so that it can perceive and receive truth. In our bodies (at least for most of our life) we all move not towards youth and strength but away from it. It is what happens in our minds that truly makes us young. Theoden was a powerful example of this.

Wow! How cool is that! Will I ever get to bottom of Tolkien's mind? Or is it that the truth in his tales go beyond his own thought and intention....

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 28th, 2008, 1:49 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Tintinnabulator wrote:
I just went and looked in the books. (I haven't read them in forever...) In them, he is very old, but Gandalf doesn't make him "younger" like in the movies. Instead, I think it's more of a psychological thing. He feels younger, even though he doesn't look it. That paragraph is probably open to interpretation though, that's just how I see it. :-D

My "take" on how Theoden was affected by Sarumann and how Gandalf 'changed' him. Sarumann used Grima, likely a convincing man in his own right, as his tool to affect Theoden's thinking. The effects of the voice of Sarumann were projected through Grima's convincing words of counsel, making him feel old, weary, and decrepid and also making him think that Rohan could not stand up to the might of Isengard. A sort of sleight-of-mind psychological control that Grima on his own couldn't do, but Sarumann's use of him could. A combination that was indeed a wizard's spell by proxy, and was why Grima suggested to King Theoden not to meet Gandalf. What Gandalf did was break Sarumann's proxy spell which opened King Theoden's eyes and Grima was seen for what he was. Not being weighted by the Sarumann-empowered words of Grima, Theoden regained some of his vigour and started functioning more as a man his age would.

This is how I always interpreted the book scene in Meduseld. The overt possession and age change in the movies was WAY overwrought.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2