Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: shelobs lair and the choices of master samwise
PostPosted: August 12th, 2011, 10:40 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

hi, these to chapters are for me the turning point in sam and frodo's relationship in the book the have so much more confidance in each other and they're also the saddest chapters but what do you think???

Post subject: Re: shelobs lair and the choices of master samwise
PostPosted: August 12th, 2011, 3:51 pm 
Istari
Istari

I’m fond of both the book and movie versions of the scenes, but since this is the book section I’ll just say a bit about those.
First… I think Sam showed great courage in his decision to attempt to complete the quest that Frodo had undertaken. He also portrayed selflessness in the fact that he, out of devotion to his friend, would rather have stayed with Frodo, whom he believed was dead – but instead he resolved himself to take the Ring and carry on as best he could. There really wasn’t anything better he could do, at that point. Even though he felt himself inadequate for the task, he still decided to try anyway.
I’d seen the movies before reading the books, so when Sam found out that Frodo was still alive, it wasn’t really a surprise for me, though the words still had the same effect!
This decision of Sam's was life-changing. He and Frodo, as you said, grew in their friendship after this. They feel as if together, they can accomplish and finish the quest.
I know you didn’t mention the chapter “The Tower of Cirith Ungol” because it’s not in The Two Towers, but I still have to say that Sam is the ultimate friend and hero to go after Frodo, into the jaws of the enemy, to rescue him. that, along with the chapter “Mount Doom” are my two favorite chapters.

thanks for the Hobbit Team banner, Lembas!

PostPosted: September 16th, 2011, 4:01 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

They were very emotional scenes. Even though I'd seen the movies when I was reading the book all I could think was: "Oh he can't leave Sam all alone! Frodo you can't die and leave Sam!"
I get a little too into things sometimes :lol:
But when Sam decided to destroy the ring himself...my whole opinion of him changed right then and there. He was a hero in my book from that line forth :medieval:. I guess it's a good thing the Orcs came when they did...or that Sam hadn't left right away, because otherwise Frodo would have been screwed. Those chapters made me so sad though, but I still loved it all the same :)

Me: ...I will convert you to Frodo-ism.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 17th, 2012, 3:21 am 
Istari
Istari

It indeed changed their relationship, because Sam actually saved Frodo's life and showed such bravery that Frodo could easily see that his help is so important for the mission that only cooperating they will complete it.

I adore these chapters, they are sad but heroic.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2012, 1:16 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

i agree!
i think sam was so brave, and in these chapters it really starts to come through how much they depend on each other, and how frodo really wouldnt have come far without sam.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2012, 7:33 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Frodo saw that Sam could easily send theRing to hell, due to his bravery. It indeed changed their relationship, because Frodo started more count on Samwise in many situations. I think that it changed sam too, in some way: he was put under hard choice and made the right.

set by skitty