Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 16th, 2024, 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Rohan and the Rohirrim
PostPosted: July 1st, 2006, 5:50 pm 

Welcome to Month Two of Return of the Rings: The Two Towers!

And here is this month's kick-off question!

What do you think of the Rohirrim and their culture, as described in the books? Would you like to live among them?

<center>Image
~I am a Shieldmaiden for Christ!~
[?~^:]
Doll base

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 1st, 2006, 8:43 pm 

Obviously the Rohirrim are a very strong, proud people who take pride in their heritage and their horses. It seems as if horses are what their lives revolve around. There are so many accounts in their history on horse breeding and how to care for the horses.

The horses and the fact that they seem like such a down to earth kind of culture set them apart from others. The Hobbits too are earthy people who enjoy things that grow but they do not care for living beasts and creatures as much as the Rohirrim do.

Elves share a love for both nature and for Arda's animals, but they do not seem as close to them as the Rohirrim, for the Elves seem as less than earthly beings. It seems that each Rohirric family most likely owns a horse and is taught to care for, love, and ride from an early age.

The horses are the definite pinaccle of the Rohirrim's lives. Everything revolves around them: work, play, and war. Unlike the Gondorians, the Rohirrim place their trust in an animal. They trust that this animal will help them till a feild and get the days work done, and they trust that this animal will guide them in battle and not be afraid. It seems that in some cases the Rohirrim would trust these horses with their lives if need be.

The Rohirrim remind me of those from Norse mythology with their blonde hair, strength, and love for animals. For the Rohirrim are a very strong people. Though they were being led astray by the evil of Wormtongue and Saruman they stayed strong in the belief that they would be saved.

Éowyn had to remain strong for her people though she doubted inside. She had no hope for her life and for the people around her, but she never let the people see that. The people looked to her so that they would be strong. They held up eachother with their own strength even if they didn't know they had any left.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2006, 11:20 am 
Istari
Istari

I completely agree with you Larael. ;) Actually I like the Rohirrim better than the Gondorians. :blush: I mean: if I could choose between living in Gondor or in Rohan, I'd choose Rohan.

Aragorn describes them in chapter 2:
Quote:
They are proud and wilful, but they are true-hearted, generous in thought and deed; bold but not cruel; wise but unlearned, writing no books but singing many songs, after the manner of children of Men before the Dark Years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 3rd, 2006, 7:40 pm 
Kallisti
Kallisti

I'm not sure who said it but on the extras on the EE of TTT someone said that the Rohirrim cared more for their horses than themselves. If their horses died they would be unable to do what they do. Their life line is their horses. It's very nice to see that a culture of people can care so much about an animal.

I would love to live among them, they are proud but not boastful. That's something i like about them, they know their heritage and who their ancestors were but they dont go around saying that i'm this dudes ancestor, i'm better than you.

Their culture is amazing and their history is as well. I also love their banners/motifs. The way they hold the horse in such reverence is astounding. Gondorians use horses for everything too but it seems that the Rohirrim are way more akin to the horses. Inside every Rohan citizen is the spirit of a horse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 4th, 2006, 5:37 am 
Istari
Istari

Quote:
I also love their banners/motifs.

Oh yes, I love those. I wanted to buy one, but it was too expensive... :annoyed:

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 5th, 2006, 3:49 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

obviosly a more rustic... not uncivilized but more uneducated... i think that they are portrayed as a mountainous people (well i think thats where they originated, am i right correct me if not) so... yes i would say rustic would describe them well. i think that they are more of the help your self first then if you can help others. and that when Theoden helped Gondor he was really stepping out of Rohan's element... just my oppinion

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 6th, 2006, 6:54 pm 
Maia
Maia

Personally, the Rohirrim strike me as very proud, noble people. They love their horses, their homes, and families. They're loyal to eachother, but somewhat suspicious of other races or people groups. (Gondor, for example.)

Rohan itself is beautiful, but it's a different kind of beauty than Minas Tirith or Rivendell. It's a more natural and unpolished, if you know what I mean. The Rohirrim's love of horses is reflected in the land (lots of area for grazing) and in their arcitecture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 7th, 2006, 1:35 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Elenya wrote:
Personally, the Rohirrim strike me as very proud, noble people. They love their horses, their homes, and families. They're loyal to eachother, but somewhat suspicious of other races or people groups. (Gondor, for example.)

Rohan itself is beautiful, but it's a different kind of beauty than Minas Tirith or Rivendell. It's a more natural and unpolished, if you know what I mean. The Rohirrim's love of horses is reflected in the land (lots of area for grazing) and in their arcitecture.

you left out loyal... the are very loyal to thier country, and have a love for nature itsself no JUST land but all of nature... in my opppinion

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 13th, 2006, 3:09 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I've said it many times before - the Rohirrim are my favourite culture/peoples in the LotR. It's always been my fantasy, and hopefully dream come true, to live in some open field (with a forest nearby, and a little stream running through). Not ever being really acquainted with horses I can't say that I can relate to that aspect of their culture, but the horses aside (no matter how big a part they contribute to it) I love the Rohirric way of life. I don't know what it is exactly, but watching, reading, or hearing about Anglo-Saxon, Norse and subsequently Rohirric culture stirs something in me. It is difficult to explain, really... They seem to represent a sort of perfect way of life, consisting of a perfect set of morales, to me. Once I shift towards Gondor, or in history Rome, things seems colder to me, as well when time moves forward. But the rustic, earthy, logical Rohirrim/Germanic tribes act as a toasty hearth to me... Yeah... :)

http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7521

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 13th, 2006, 10:23 am 

I agree with Larael The Seem to be Proud people. But i dont think i would like to live with them forever cause i would get tired of the horselands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 15th, 2006, 2:34 pm 

The Rohirrim do resemble the Anglo saxons and vikings, but for me, they are even closer to the Mongolians of the steppes. I don't think Tolkien really had Mongolia in mind when he created Rohan, but I think there are many similarities. The Mongolians are probably the world's best, most dedicated horsemen. They virtually lived on their horses when riding to war. The geography of Rohan is similar to Mongolia, which is mostly large, grassy plains and rugged mountains:
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e315/ ... scape2.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e315/ ... rsemen.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e315/ ... ppe_NB.jpg
Mongolians as a people are also fiercely independant and people of the land, just like the Rohirrim. Of course, Mongolian ponies are a lot different from Rohirrim horses, and the Mongolian culture is definately closer to Chinese than any European culture...but there are some strong ties between them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 20th, 2006, 9:03 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

I like the Rohirrim much more than the Gondorians. Of course I love horses, but the Rohirric are different, somehow, and while very head-strong, they're kind people.

Profile           YIM     ICQ    

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2006, 4:41 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

I love Rohirrim!They are strong,proud and determined.They are certainly better than the Gondorians

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 25th, 2006, 3:38 pm 

Cuilwen wrote:
I completely agree with you Larael. ;) Actually I like the Rohirrim better than the Gondorians. :blush: I mean: if I could choose between living in Gondor or in Rohan, I'd choose Rohan.

Aragorn describes them in chapter 2:
Quote:
They are proud and wilful, but they are true-hearted, generous in thought and deed; bold but not cruel; wise but unlearned, writing no books but singing many songs, after the manner of children of Men before the Dark Years.

and plus, chances are if you live in gondor you're going to die sooner seeing as you live closer to mordor. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2006, 8:54 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Yavanna Kementari wrote:
and plus, chances are if you live in gondor you're going to die sooner seeing as you live closer to mordor. :)

It's right :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2006, 7:32 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

The Rohirrims are hardy friends and true of heart, but I personally would not wish to live amongst them. Instead I would rather live with the mighty Dunedain, descendants of the mightiest men ever to walk this work

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next