Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Your Graphic Process
PostPosted: February 14th, 2011, 7:57 pm 
Kallisti
Kallisti

Dunno if it belongs here, but moddies can move it as they see fit.

My question for all you graphic makers is:

How do you go about making your graphics?

1. As in, how do you choose pictures, textures, font, text brushes etc. etc. etc.

2. Does it differ if you're doing an avatar vs. a banner? Or a background or a blend?

3. What order do you make them in? Picture-texture/brushes-text? Or what?

4. How do you choose your text? Song lyrics, quotes, stuff you just come up with?

5. Do you make, and re-make graphics until they're perfect? Or just make one and figure that's the way it's supposed to be?

You don't have to answer all the questions, this is just really a place to discuss the process of making graphics. Provide examples, or what have you.

And go!

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 14th, 2011, 8:41 pm 

Cool idea! I love hearing about what other people do.

1. How do you choose pictures, textures, font, text brushes etc. etc. etc.
Usually I'm inspired to make graphics after watching a movie or show. For example, I just watched Under the Greenwood Tree so I have a feeling I'll be making a lot of period films graphics. I have a huuuuge bookmarked screencap collection, so I just go through until I get the pictures I want. At the moment I'm more into icons than anything else (I blame livejournal) so I look for pictures with interesting compositions, colors, or crops. I'm hopeless at text (probably one reason I like icons) and don't often use textures or brushes. I have a few saved, but mostly just work with color.

2. Does it differ if you're doing an avatar vs. a banner? Or a background or a blend?
I guess I should've read through the questions before I started answering. :teehee: Yeah. With banners, I tend to look for pictures from scenes so that the coloring will go together and I have text ready-made. If I don't make a scene banner, I usually look for HQ pictures and work from that. Wallpapers are 99% of the time HQ pictures, and I tend to arrange them in the same way. It's just collecting and colors.

Picture, color, color, text.

4. How do you choose your text? Song lyrics, quotes, stuff you just come up with?
Usually quotes. I have a list of some songs that have good lyrics, and if I come across things that just fit with certain themes, I keep a note of it and use those. I can't just come up with things off the top of my head. I fail.

5. Do you make, and re-make graphics until they're perfect? Or just make one and figure that's the way it's supposed to be?
Generally I just make one (banner). If I like the pictures, I may do three or four different versions and see how they turn out. I usually keep them all, though. With icons I like to move one picture around a lot to see what sort of cropping I can get on it, or put text/no text, brushes/no brushes, gradients, etc.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 15th, 2011, 2:02 pm 
Vala
Vala

This is an awesome idea for a thread. :)

1. How do you choose pictures, textures, font, text brushes?
For me the pictures I choose depend a lot on what mood I want. The size and quality of the picture plays a big role too though. For textures, I tend to dig through my collection and find something that is the basic color I want, and also that has the right texture (either smooth or grungy or grainy, depending on what mood I want, again). Font is also based on mood, whether I want something more stable, or scratched. I tend to keep font pretty simplistic though, unless it doesn't need to be read. I don't use many brushes unless there's something super specific I want to do.

As Nurr said, if I'm doing a bigger graphic, I look for HQ pictures. I also might need more than one image if I'm doing a bigger graphic, so then I find ones that fit together well. Banners require more thought when choosing pictures for me, because I need to find one that will be able to fit well within the limited frame.

I start with the picture, add texture, play with the colors, then add text, then tweak final details.

Probably 99.9% of my text is from songs. In fact, probably at least 95% of my graphics are inspired by song lyrics. This is probably mostly because I am a total music junkie. If there is a really good quote in a movie, then I will use it. Sometimes if there's a single word that captures the mood I want, I'll just use that. But by far most often I use lyrics.

I almost never re-make graphics. If I can't get the mood to work the first time, chances are it won't the second or the third. Sometimes if there's something very specific I have to make (like a request) and the first one doesn't turn out, I'll re-make it. But when I'm just working on my own, I usually don't re-make graphics.

There will come a time with no more tears
and love will not break your heart but dismiss your fears
</center>

Profile       WWW