Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Once Upon A Time Club!
PostPosted: April 8th, 2015, 10:55 pm 
Istari
Istari

I loved it too! Wish their date wouldn't have been dampened by all that mess (sparing Erin any details, you know). I want to see another CaptainSwan date!!!! I dont care if the writers are like, "you can't just have them watching Netflicks, viewers would be like how boring is that?" Um, no, I'd be like how cute is that!? Just a few minutes of them able to have a normal date night would be nice to see for once, actually.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2015, 6:39 am 
Ent
Ent

Spoil away. I honestly don't mind. Just because someone tells me, doesn't stop me from discovering the emotion of the episode for myself.

Okay, so I watched all of season 1 and got as far as The Crocodile in season 2. O-M-G! This show is absolutely amazing! I LOVED it. Season 1 was much better. Even though I'm only as far as season 2 episode 4, I'm not sure I like that they knew who they all are at the same time. I was having so much fun trying to figure out who everyone is. I loved that Red Riding Hood/Ruby was a goth. I honestly thought Jiminy was Roger, because I recognised Pongo right away.

My favourite character is Rumplestiltskin. I just love his plight.
My ships are Charming and Snow White. Emma and The Huntsman/Graham. Rumple and Belle.
I liked Regina at first, but the more it delved into her character and the drastic measures she was going through to keep Henry just put me off. If she really cared about him, she would do what was best. I lost interest in her, when they did the back story, before she turned evil. All she did was complain about not wanting to be her mother. Well, she is. Maybe worse. Even her vendetta again Snow was rediculus. So, she told a secret. Big deal! Snow thought she was doing the right thing. She didn't know that he would get killed. When Regina first said that Snow blabbed her secret, I was like "Is that it?!" :o

I am kinda hoping that the guy in the beginning of season two, who got the post card, about the curse being broken might be Rumple's son.

Now, onto Hook. Not what I expected at all. The guy is hot, I'll give you that. I wasn't complaining when the camera did a full body shot of him. But his character, I didn't like him one bit.
[*] For starters, he took Rumple's wife (Mila?), and seemed like he didn't even care about her at all. Even with the quip about the men needing "relief", and how he mockingly challenged Rumple, made it seem like he only took her because he could.
[*] The fact that he pretended not to know who she was, then said she died years ago, when she was alive and well and part of the crew, showed that he didn't really care about her at all.
[*] When Rumple killed her in front of him, it seemed that she cared more about Hook, than he did for her. All the scenes they were together, she talked about love, but he never did.
[*] In fact, he seemed to care more about the fact that Rumple cut his hand off, than the death of the woman he was supposed to love.
[*] Keeping the bean as well, that didn't sit right with me. Rumple needed it, to get Bae back. He could have let Rumple have it, then had Smee find him another. Smee does have the talent of finding unusual things, after all. Then gone off to Neverland, and plan revenge.

I know he's the bad guy, but like have some tiny bit of a spark in there, to show that he's not just 100% evil, like everyone else. I guess he will become my guilty pleasure character. I can hate him and wish him a painful slow death, with finding him totally hot along the way.

♥ Married to Thranduil, 22 April 2014 ♥

Lónannûniel, Queen of the Woodland Realm ♦

Image Image Image

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 9th, 2015, 9:27 pm 
Istari
Istari

*slow head shake* Oh Erin, you have merely only scratched the surface of Hook. From the very first episode Hook was in, I knew he had a heart of gold under all that leather. Ok, as to your points you made, first one: of course he was mocking Rumple. He's a cocky pirate, he saw something he wanted and he took it, he finds Rumple to be no threat whatsoever. So he was making Rumple squirm and cringe, he certainly didn't mean sharing Milah with the others, Milah was his. Second, with telling Rumple (now the Dark One) Milah was dead and had been for years, he was protecting Milah. He knows the Dark One's reputation, knew how dangerous he is, and add to that the fact Milah left him? That is just asking for death. So he lied, said she was dead, hiding her from the Dark One to keep her safe. As for Hook not loving Milah, trust me, he did. That hurt him more than the hand, and will continue to do so. As for his keeping the bean, I applaud that. I would have screwed Rumple out of it too, if he had killed the person I loved. As for finding another bean, those things aint exactly the easiest to find. As I said before, you have merely scratched the surface of his character. There's a reason he's such a fan favorite, you'll discover more about him and see his character evolve as his journey continues. There is no way you can hate him, and you certainly can't wish death upon him, as the story goes on.

(plus you'd be wishing death upon your Uncle, and I've no desire to become a widow!)

As for Regina, just wait. Dont give up on her.

PostPosted: April 10th, 2015, 9:23 am 
Ent
Ent

Yeah, I have seen him evolve. I'm on disk 5 of season 2. The episode that I just watched, is the one where August was cured. He is little boy Pinoccio again.

As for the progression of Hook, I still don't like him as a character. I've seen all the points you've made, as the episodes involving him develop. My opinion of him did flip-flop for a while. He keeps doing things that make me hate him again, just when I think I might like him. Like poisoning and trying to kill Rumple for starters. I'll admit, that his first proper episode didn't give the best impression of him. But, I can't force myself to like him, because he's a popular character.

Regina still bugs me. If she really wanted to change, and have Henry choose her, then she wouldn't keep using dark magic. Yet she keeps on doing it. I'm very much on the side of Henry choosing Emma as his mother. Because Regina didn't love him for him. She wanted a child. Any child. She thought that having a happy ending meant getting everything you want, and having a child. It seemed to me, like she would forget him instantly, if a homeless boy turned up on her porch, and asked for a home. She allowed all of Storybrooke to surpress his love for magic, and try to stop him from believing that Once Upon A Time book was true. Even though Emma didn't believe at first, she still went along with it in Operation Cobra, because that made him happy. Everything she did was for Henry in a good way. Regina liked the idea of Henry more than him personally.

Rumple is still my fave character, and has been from the very beginning. I was so thrilled when Baelfire forgave him. His plight really does interest me. Even when he became the Dark One. Everything he lost, he just kept on going. I love seeing how deeply his plight is interwoven into the curse. I hope that he gets a happy end, and Belle gets her memory back. He makes a much better Beast, than the actual Beast was. (That says a lot, considering that Beauty & the Beast is one of my fave Disney movies.) That made me laugh so much, when he went to Emma, and told her that he was calling in on the favour she owed him, and finished with, "And if anything happens to Belle, I'll kill you all." It was an obvious empty threat, but their reaction was funny. Just like this; :o

Image Image Image

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 11th, 2015, 12:11 am 
Istari
Istari

Rumple used to be my favorite character, then he tried to do something bad to Hook, and he did some other stuff that really ticked me off, now I just want to take his cane and shove it down his throat. And ah, you're still on season 2 Hook, that explains it. You've got the "walk the line" Hook version. He'll do something that makes him seem good, then the next scene he'll do something bad........I love season 2 Hook, so yummy :lol: When he got hit by that car I screamed at the tv, I was so distraught. Even though he had just shot my favorite female character, I was furious they did that to him.

Thing with Regina, is she's been using Dark Magic for so long its hard for her to just give it up, its not like flipping a switch. She's still trying to figure all that out, still having some issues letting go of her hatred of Snow and her family. I mean, she's the Evil Queen, can't have a change overnight, no matter how much she loves Henry. She's afraid Emma will destroy her family and take Henry away from her, and she sees dark magic as the only way she can try to prevent that.

PostPosted: April 11th, 2015, 2:13 am 
Ent
Ent

But, what about that episode, where the boy and his father were camping, just as Storybrooke appeared. All the desperate measures she went through to keep him and failed, then she killed his father and buried him in the woods. If two whole seasons can't make me like her (I finished watching the finale of season 2 last night), nothing will.

That's the thing, I don't think that anything can make me like Hook as a character. I felt absolutely nothing for his plight. For this, we'll stick a pin in the whole he's a villan thing, because at this point, he wasn't one yet.

Starting with Mila, because she is important to his plight. Okay, if it is in fact true that she never loved Rumple, then why was she married to him? By pauper standards, their home is quite well furnished with the necessities. They didn't seem to struggle for money, so their living seemed to be stable enough for them to get by. When he was enlisted to the orge wars, she didn't want him to go, because she didn't want him to die. Granted, he took the "cowardly" way out, and injured himself. But his intentions were honorable, because he wanted to do the right thing for Baelfire. When he returned, Mila flat out rejected both him, and her child. That shows, that perhaps if Rumple had died, she probably would have abandonned Baelfire anyway. If she "loved" someone for the lifestyle once, she could do it again. With Hook, it could have been the lifestyle he offered, and not him personally. In that bar, she metaphorically ripped out Rumple's heart and crushed it in front of him. (It's kind of fitting, that he litterally did the same to her.) I doubt that she would have gone back with them, if Baelfire hadn't have come forward and asked her to. She left with him to save face, so she didn't look like a horrible mother in front of everyone.

Enter Hook. He took Mila solely because he could. The lie he told about Mila being dead, was before he knew that Rumple was the dark one. Then he showed his true colours. A coward who likes to push weak people around. He knew that he was nothing compared to the power Rumple now possessed. The only reason he seemed to have a vendetta against Rumple, is because Rumple took away something that was his - both his hand and the woman he stole away. If he truly cared about Mila, he wouldn't have left Pan's lost boys steal her son away. To honour the woman he claimed to love, he would have fought to protect her son.

If that was true that they talked about going back for Baelfire, then why didn't they? Was it just empty words, to make him look good in Baelfire's eyes? When I saw their plight together, all I saw is a terrible wife and mother, and the man who ripped apart a family.

For me to like a character, I need to actually care about their journey, so I doubt my opinion will change about him, no matter what he does. It wasn't the fact that he filp-floped from side to side with no valid reason in sight. I just didn't care to begin with. All my favourite characters, I've liked them from their first proper episode, that explains their plight. (Also, I no longer ship Emma and Graham/The Huntsman. I change that to Emma and Neal/Baelfire.) There's no point in trying to convince me otherwise, because after two seasons, my opinions on the characters are pretty well figured out. I don't know how long I will have to wait to get hold of season 3. I can't watch anything online, and I probably wouldn't if I could. I prefer DVD boxsets.

When Belle got shot and lost her memory, all I did was hope that she got it back. It made me feel a little sad, when she smashed the chipped cup. With all the great treasures in Rumple's shop, that tiny little broken cup meant as much to him as Baelfire's scarf. I liked that she was her usual book reading self, but she was brave and pretty tough in her own way.

One episode that I loved was Child of the Moon, where it expanded on Red's werewolf side. She's another character that I liked from the beginning. It was nice, that they referenced the story Snow-White and Rose-Red. Through Red Riding Hood and Snow White, that they were like sisters.

Image Image Image

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 12th, 2015, 12:53 am 
Istari
Istari

Yeah, Regina was a little misguided in that episode with Owen. She realized what her life was missing, someone to love, and tried to go about getting it the wrong way, poor thing. Granted with her nutty mother's way of showing her love, who can blame her for going about things the wrong way sometimes? :lol: "I love you my daughter, so i'm going to kill the man you love for your own good!" geezaloo, mom's got issues.

For Milah, very little is known about her back story, who knows why she married Rumple? Maybe she was young and simply struck with the idea of being married. Maybe it was arranged. Maybe it was a necessity, situation wise. However it was, she obviously grew bored with her life and craved something more. Add to that the whole "husband crippled himself to come home" thing, she didn't seem to like that much at all. (honestly I thought Milah was a witch, dont know what my Hook saw in her) As to Hook lying about her death before he knew Rumple was the Dark One, no, he knew, remember? Rumple, cloaked to hide his face, bumped into Hook in the street. Hook, being just a tad (deliciously) mean, knocked him down, and when Rumple got up and tossed back the hood to show his face Hook immediately recognized him, and immediately knew he was the Dark One, tales of him having spread throughout the lands. Therefore when Rumple began to taunt him and ask about Milah, Hook lied, said she had died. And yes, letting Pan's boys take Baelfire was a rather hotheaded decision, he's rather good at those. He had Bae on his ship, he had a link to his Milah, he grew to care for the boy and thought he could have a family of sorts, and Bae refused, and hurt by that Hook acted rashly, as usual :lol: So he did exactly what Bae wanted, let the Lost Boys have him. And Hook and Milah were going to go back for Bae, but he was too young at the time that Milah would have still been alive (life aboard a ship can be rather dangerous for a young boy, after all).....I admit, I pretty much analyze Hook's character, what he does, reasons for doing things, take his past into account and how its formed him, read interviews with Colin and the writers to gain background and direction on him, things like that, since he's the main character in my fanfiction I want to make sure I peg him right!!

I'm glad you've been enjoying the show so far! I figured the span of various characters, and the background stories on them, and how they all intertwine would be right up your alley! And hey, there's one thing we can agree on, Belle is awesome! I love her character! I think they did a great job bringing her into the show, and how they've written her, she's still bookish but she's not afraid to strap on a sword and go out searching for adventures either! And I agree, I love all the nods to the traditional fairytales (like Snow and Red) and also the nods to the Disney fairytales (the chipped tea cup). It adds an extra dash of fun to the show when you catch those. And sometimes you can see odd things in the background too. (like I'm pretty sure its in season 2, dont remember the episode though, you can see Hook's hand in a jar sitting on a shelf in the background in Gold's shop. EWEWEWEWEW!!!!!.....that is so not right :lol: )

Ooo season 3, all the Neverland stuff.....I used to leave my window unlocked for Peter Pan when I was a kid, hoping he'd come take me to Neverland....I would so not leave my window unlocked for this Pan!!! OH oh oh oh!!! And you get to meet Ariel too in the next season!

(just dont tell your uncle you dislike him so at the family party, i've convinced him not to let anything "fall into his pockets" while there, him agreeing that stealing from family is dishonorable and would go against his code, hurt his feelings and I may as well tie his hand and hook ;-) :goofy: )

PostPosted: April 12th, 2015, 8:18 am 
Ent
Ent

(It's alright. It's OUaT!Hook I hate. Our family tree one, I can always pretend that the stuff I hate about him hasn't happened. :goofy: )
I don't think Hook did know he was the dark one, before he revealed himself. On Once Upon a Time Wiki, if you go on Hook's page, is says this;
Quote:
Several years later, Killian bumps into a beggar, whom he ridicules as a crocodile. The beggar reveals he is the man formerly known as Rumplestiltskin, except he has since acquired vast power as the notorious Dark One.

Not that it matters much. Really.

My favourite episodes are, the pilot, because that's where I see most of my favourite characters for the first time. Red-Handed. Skin Deep. Child of the Moon. The episode where Rumple becomes the dark one. Dreamy. Tallahassee. And the one with Tiny the giant, but because he was in How I Met Your Mother, and played Blitz. This guy that had rotten luck. Just when he turned away or gave up, something awesome would happen, and he'd say "Oh, man!" Oddly enough, Emma was in that episode, playing a horrible girl named Zoe. Every time I saw Tiny, I kept going, "Blitz!" in the distant tone. :lol: Anyway, back on topic; after that, it's just moments after that. Like when Rumple injured himself, because he would rather be treated like a coward, to make sure Baelfire had a father. When Snow White kills an ogre to save Emma. When Snow and Charming get their memories back. When Rumple is dying, and he calls Belle, and tells her who she is, and why he loves her. That did make me lol though, in a weird way, when Henry came over to him, asking if he was alright, and Rumple pushed him away, and said, "You did this to me!" When they took Bae's scarf off him at the airport, my heart started racing, because I hoped that he wouldn't lose him memory.

There are some more there, but I can't remember them. I did watch two seasons in a couple of days, after all. When I watch them again, I'll probably remember.

I like the fact, that even though there is true love, it's not just lay eyes on each other, then BAM! destiny. Most of the couples have to really fight to be together. Just like Snow and Charming.

Rumple's shop! I love the fact, that it has so many things in it. You never know what prop you might see in the background, that references past episodes. Or something that is there, but the episode hasn't happened yet.

Image Image Image

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 4th, 2015, 12:45 pm 
Istari
Istari

SPOILER ALERT:

Ohmygosh! The 4x22 promo!!! I'm going to die if Captain Swan is separated :lol:
I rather think the villain/hero switcheroo will be interesting, if not nerve racking. I hope they renew for Season 5...a cliff-hanger ending would kill me :p

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 8th, 2015, 9:08 am 
Istari
Istari

('pologies for the double post!)

ONCE HAS BEEN RENEWED FOR SEASON 5!!! *is really, really excited*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 15th, 2015, 12:16 am 
Istari
Istari

YES! A RENEWAL!!!!

Ok...so if you've seen the finale yet.....did you cry? Because I totally cried. I couldn't freaking see the tv. I spent the rest of the episode in a sate of adrenaline fueled antsyness and crying like noooo!!! this cannot be!!! it must be fixed!!!

PostPosted: May 15th, 2015, 10:11 am 
Istari
Istari

I SAW IT. I'M DEAD!

Ohmygosh Hook died for a few minutes. That was AWFUL! But they totally made up for it later :lol:
That, and Emma's the Dark One?!?!? I do hope that won't mean we'll have a funny looking Emma hopping around and saying "Dearie" :p
I'm actually mad about that... How will Emma being the Dark One affect Captain Swan :-/ I actually had a thought that perhaps Rumple and Hook save her. That'd be ironic :p

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 15th, 2015, 10:09 pm 
Istari
Istari

I dont know how I feel about Dark Emma, I'm kind of wondering how she'll be. I mean, Rumple was the Dark One, but he was still capable of love and what not, so he wasn't like, pure evil. I dont know, it'll be interesting to see. I'm not fond of the idea though, I'll admit, at least a little bit, because I dont want to have half a season of her being evil, and then the second half of the season be her back to normal and be all mopey and guilt ridden over the things she did while Dark, you know? Will whatever she does cause her to push Hook away? I mean, she just finally told him she loved him! Personally I would have done so while she had him on the bed, but you know, thats just my thoughts. :lol: Instead, lets wait until right before I get sucked into this tornado of evil! *sigh*

PostPosted: May 24th, 2015, 1:38 pm 
Ent
Ent

Sounds like there is a lot for me to look forward too. (Even though I pretty much knew it. I've been reading up on everything I can find on TV tropes and Wikia.)

I'm watchin OUaT for the third time. I have to admit, that I still just love the bit, when I can see the exact second Rumple's curse breaks. Just as he meets Emma, it's there in his face. Robert Carlyle played that so well.

Image Image Image

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 27th, 2015, 3:00 pm 
Elf
Elf

I want to join!

I started watching it last week. I haven't read all of this thread because of spoilers.

I'm on about episode 13 of season 2, I think. I'm leaving it for a few days because I'm going to the Hay festival this weekend. The last episode I watched is the first episode where I really don't care what happens next. So a good place to stop so I don't spend the weekend wanting to watch it but can't.
But apart from the last few episode, I absolutely love it. I am going to stick with it as I know it does get better again (people at work have watched all of it and have been trying to get me to watch it for a while. I finally caved in last week and it is amazing!)

PostPosted: June 18th, 2015, 11:53 pm 
Istari
Istari

Of course another Oncer is welcome to join in the discussions! Its such a fantastic show, so much fun! Great thing is that it doesn't just draw from the popular Disney characters you'd recognize, it draws from many different areas of fairy tales. I love finding out how everyone is connected, how paths crossed in the fairytale realms.

As a side note, I'm having Hook withdraws. I miss my innuendo gifted Irish rogue of a pirate "husband"! :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next