Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: ~~The Writing Club~~
PostPosted: February 5th, 2016, 10:54 pm 
Ent
Ent

You're welcome, Thranduil! I'm glad you like the banner.

Character death is something I do struggle with. But with a plot I'm working on, it would be extremely unrealistic if only the antagonists died. Like a cheated finale. Oddly enough, I can handle character deaths in my various fandoms. Like in Hunger Games, almost all of my favourite characters die. Only about two live. NCIS, two of my favourite characters die in that. I could go on. Just killing my own characters is the hardest thing. The only way I can truly get around it, is if they are dead to begin with.

Also, no, I can't enter the drabble contest. My time is swallowed up by my book right now. I just don't have the time to write anything else.

♥ Married to Thranduil, 22 April 2014 ♥

Lónannûniel, Queen of the Woodland Realm ♦

Image Image Image

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 7th, 2016, 9:40 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Yeah I believe all writers struggle with writing their own character deaths, as we are not really sure if we could use them again. However you did say something that I found intriguing

Quote:
The only way I can truly get around it, is if they are dead to begin with.

This is a really unique concept. I picture this as being the main character telling the story and once it is time for the death scene you know that it was someone else reading a story or note that the main character left behind. Then maybe someone else close to the main character who finishes the story and someone who doesn't know any of them is telling the story maybe because they are about to take their place.

It is indeed a cool concept.

You will find your inspiration and write through that.

P.S. I'm sorry you won't enter a drabble but I wish you luck with your book and look forward to reading it!

PostPosted: February 7th, 2016, 10:10 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Yeah, I agree that if a main character never dies it kind of seems unrealistic. I don't like character death.... but I always consider it.

Usually I write on the fly, so to speak and those plot twists develop unintentionally without any original intent simply because I see, given realism, in the situation I end up putting my characters in.... someone would get hurt badly or die in a real life situation...

Usually for me once I make that decision it is set in stone but I have used it as a plot twist where a character everyone thinks died actually survived somehow and comes back into the book way later as a surprise twist.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: February 8th, 2016, 4:20 am 
Ent
Ent

@Thranduil: Um... I didn't mean that at all. I just meant as in the character is already dead. Like as in another relative or friend or whatever died before the plot even begun.

@Jax: I wish I could do that. If I injure a character on the fly like that, I usually regret it, and have to rewrite. Alter the injury is well thought out, and not sudden and random.

Image Image Image

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 14th, 2016, 8:00 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Ah, well... Wish I could be more helpful. My writting is lrobably pretty odd compared to most actually. Not terribly structured and more spontanious and sparstic. (Which probably is not a good thing)

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2016, 2:56 am 
Ent
Ent

Guess who is alive, even though it doesn't seem like it sometimes... ME!

Still working on that book. Solved a lot of problems it was facing, so that is progress.

Because I just love everyone's answers and thoughts on my questions, here is another question;
Do you give much thought into whether your character would have children in the future? If so, how do you decide what that child will be like?

Image Image Image

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 25th, 2016, 2:37 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I will answer the question, in my opinion if a character I made had children, the children would be one or two things: one would be to follow into the parents footprints, to finish were they left off or two a constant reminder of what their parents did and the good they accomplished.

Just my opinion.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2016, 2:46 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Are we going to vote on our drabbles?

PostPosted: March 20th, 2016, 8:46 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Hey guys.

I've been out of it for a long time... too much going on in life and it has been really physically and emotionally taxing on me. As I am sure you have noticed I have pulled back and taken a long break from the forum. I can't say that it is over but I am hoping to stop by and check in now and again.

The drabble idea was great but it seemed the interest was dwindling to unavailable. If you wanted to still post the ones that have been turned in and vote that'd be fine. I don't know if anyone turned one in other than thranduil and I, however.

To Erin's question, I have given that thought to some degree. Usually, however, only when the children are going to play a roll in the future of significants, so in that case their future is already decided what they will be like because they are there for a purpose. The few times things like that have crossed my mind without a specific purpose I have never really dwelled on it too much because I never have a need to describe the character of the children.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2016, 10:12 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Well Jax since it is you and me who entered and I like both of our drabbles equally, I think we both earned this:

P.S. The reason it is Arwen's teacup is look at the name of our forum!

PostPosted: April 5th, 2016, 10:48 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Lol works for me Thranduil. ;)

The all knowing tea cup!

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2016, 9:58 pm 
Ent
Ent

That Arwen's teacup is so cute!

Glad to see this club is still (sorta) active! I took a break from writing my book, and took another stab at poetry. Well, joined a writing class, and the assignment was a poem. I uploaded it to my FictionPress if you want to give it a look. You don't need an account to review.

Image Image Image

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 7th, 2016, 11:18 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Yeah, kind of active. lol I've been having a lot going on in life but try to stop in now and then.

That sounds fun! I wish they had writing classes around here. Only ever been one that I heard of and it was for writing songs. I went to it because I like writing songs too, but I'd like some story writing creative writing classes.

Quite the poem, Erin. Very interesting subject, but it's so true that almost everyone is so much more bold behind their keyboard than in public. lol

PostPosted: June 8th, 2016, 12:38 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Glad you like the Tea Cup. (It's a Green Leaf :-D )

I'm actual writing but not what you think, I'm writing my life into a journal and everything I learned on the way. I think of it as a memoir only I don't think I'll ever publish it. (Never say never)

PostPosted: June 9th, 2016, 11:43 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Sound interesting. :) Yeah, never say never.

PostPosted: March 10th, 2017, 7:27 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

It's been a while since I posted in this thread, so here's a few updates of what I've been doing lately:

I finally started on my crossover story, but I haven't uploaded it to Ao3 yet (still not sure if it's a good idea).

To test the waters, I'm writing a story based off of an imagine I thought up that I put on Blogger:

http://survivaliststories.blogspot.ca

It seems they've changed a few things in the last year, since I couldn't put the title in the same way as I did with the Secret Santa story I wrote for Jax. I'm writing this to see if I actually can write a post JW story. Like with the story I wrote for Jax, it's written in second person (you instead of her/him), which is how most stories based on imagines are written (even though it's not an official imagine, or at least it won't be until I submit it to an imagine blog on tumblr). :)

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next