Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: ~~The Writing Club~~
PostPosted: November 22nd, 2015, 2:24 pm 
Ent
Ent

It is great method. The chronological order of the time ends up all over the place, but that is easily fixed. Just number the sections. This is probably the most organised I've been with my notes. Normally I just write without even bothering to try to keep track.

♥ Married to Thranduil, 22 April 2014 ♥

Lónannûniel, Queen of the Woodland Realm ♦

Image Image Image

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2015, 2:43 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Yeah, I get you there. Mot of my notes are like that. I generally go back and organize them later. lol

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2015, 1:55 am 
Ent
Ent

From the What Happened Today? thread. (Me, of course) wrote:
It did have to be done. I don't see it as a waste. A common saying with authors, is that you are likely to throw away most of what you write.

Book 1 I rewrote that 5 times. From scratch. Found a draft I liked, then editted it. Now I'm happy. Book 2, this draft is great, but I feel some parts could have happened later. I have the early chapters written and the later ones, but I'm getting the worst block, where there is nothing inspiring me. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get them from where the early chapters leave off, to where the later ones begin.

But rewriting it, I have an idea to take it in a bolder new direction. I'll explain all that in the club.

So yeah, this bolder direction. There was a single task the main character was set. But to cover other areas, which is two other, she had to be part of it to see it and describe it. Those latter two seemed force for her, and were holding me back. I've decided to split the book into three parts. Part 1 is my narrating MC with her plight. Then part 2 shifts to another person covering a part of the story that is crucial and will be needed much later on. Then part 3 covers a character that gets very little detail, because they are quite dominantly in the shadows.

This route is much better, and excites me, at the thought of writing it.

Image Image Image

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2015, 1:18 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Location: Somewhere where there's free pumkin spice coffees. HAPPY AUTUMN!

Oh my word. Yes. I need this. Thank you so much Erin. That will be soooo helpful!!! I can't believe I never thought of that!

Avatar http://www.lunaii-dollmaker.com/dollmaker

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2015, 2:40 pm 
Ent
Ent

The day planner tip?

You're welcome! :D

Image Image Image

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 24th, 2015, 10:43 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Location: Somewhere where there's free pumkin spice coffees. HAPPY AUTUMN!

Yeah! I have a tendency, once things are more exciting on the main character's end, to completely forget her brother, so, at least knowing where he is would be helpful. :D

Avatar http://www.lunaii-dollmaker.com/dollmaker

PostPosted: November 24th, 2015, 11:36 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

:D. Yeah, it is easy to get caught up in the action.

PostPosted: November 25th, 2015, 1:05 pm 
Ent
Ent

I know that feeling. When the action is at its most exciting, I forget where everyone is. Then when I re-read/edit, I'm like "What the hell? How did ___ get there? Five seconds ago, she was helping ___ FOUR FLOORS BELOW?!"

Another way to make your notes to stand out is to have pens in three colours; black. Blue. Red. The black is for what happens in the story. Not in huge detail, just so you know vaguely what time it is when it happens. Blue is for other characters who are not in focus, but what they do is important to know. Red is for your antagonist.

This way, your eyes won't gloss over the notes. Each bit will pop out as it should.

Image Image Image

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 25th, 2015, 6:18 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Really like the color coding idea. I know that would help me a lot. My eyes do "gloss over" as you say once I have done so much editing and going over notes etc...

PostPosted: November 25th, 2015, 6:28 pm 
Ent
Ent

That is the worst. Especially when I'm editing my stories. I have to use the highlight tool on areas I think needs work, or I'll forget and it will never get changed.

Image Image Image

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 26th, 2015, 4:34 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Yeah.

My problem is that I have always edited on computers. Lol but google drive actually has a program that you can highlight it with different colors. Never used it but I might have to remember that next time I go to editing.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2015, 4:42 pm 
Ent
Ent

I have microsoft word, so the tools are all there. All my writing is on computers. All the mistakes and rewrites I do, I would probably end up killing a rainforest with the amount of paper I would use.

Image Image Image

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 26th, 2015, 7:52 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Anyone know BETA readers who also could add input ideas to express a better story?

I'm working on a fic and I know that the ones with BETA readers are great.

The story is about two people finding their way through life and how hard it is.

It is a Dynasty (the show from the 80's with Joan Collins) and I used Claudia as they just killed her and she was too good to be wasted so I rewrote it giving her what she needed as well as I think I'll explore more characters from the future.

I appreciate any help.

PostPosted: November 28th, 2015, 11:38 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

@Erin Ah, gotcha. Lol :lol: well, we wouldn't want the rainforests to go... Then those cute little oscelots would go extinct! ;)

I had an old version of word and loved it, just never got it when I updated to a new laptop. My old one was from 10 years ago I think... Or 8 there abouts.

@Thranduil most fan fic sites, writing forums, and writing social media sites are food places to find beta readers. Places like goodreads, and such.

PostPosted: November 28th, 2015, 7:20 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Try Archive of Our Own, it's in Beta, and I'm a member. Here's the link to my profile:

http://archiveofourown.org/users/Island_Queen

I can send you an invite if you like or you can request to be added to the queue (you get the email in about three days or so, so it's pretty fast). Feel free to read my own fan fic (basically the back story of a character I play here, in the Family Tree related "parties"), and I'll also be posting my Jurassic Park one to both Ao3 (which is what Archive of Our Own is often referred to as, probably because it has three o's) and FF.net. :)

Last edited by Marida on February 2nd, 2021, 6:25 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 29th, 2015, 12:18 pm 
Ent
Ent

I also need a little help with a direction my story goes in. (This isn't the main book I've been working on for nearly 3 years. I'm still keeping tight lipped on that one.)

I have this character who is evil - but he is more the right hand man/whipping boy of the alpha bad. He has done some really cruel things, but to be fair, the alpha bad made him watch her kill his family, and reminds him of it to poke the bear when she wants him to do something evil for her.

Near the end, someone on the bad side has to die. I don't want it to be the alpha bad, because I quite like the idea that she could never truly be gone. My first instinct is him. It really is the kindest thing for him to die. He would be at peace. All the hurt would be gone and he would be reunited with his family in the afterlife. That seems a good end for a stand alone book. The good side are happy and their problem mostly resolved, but the alpha bad may come back some point in the future.

But, if I write a sequel, I would like it to be of the "evil" side, but not the same story with a different perspective. Perhaps a former lackey goes after the alpha bad. A bit of a redemption thing. That guy character would be good for this. In a way to be with his family, he has to right some of the wrongs he did, by defeating the most evilest woman in the world.

The alpha bad does have more lackies, but none will have as much impact as him on both sides.

All thoughts will be welcome. Even if they don't work out. After all, you need to know what doesn't fit, to find something that does. Right?

I'll say in advance in case this gets mentioned, there is no "he faked his death" option. Either he dies or he doesn't.

Image Image Image

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next