Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 18th, 2024, 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Silmarillion Fanclub
PostPosted: May 24th, 2013, 12:16 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

May I join? I love the Silmarillion! Especially "Of Maeglin" is great!

The Silmarillion, Of Túrin Turambar

PostPosted: October 16th, 2013, 9:30 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Hi everyone! I'm reading the Sil. but I am a bit confused, and this seemed like a good place to ask:
Are the Imperishable Flame and the Secret Fire the same thing? If not what is the difference?
Thanks!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: October 19th, 2013, 6:09 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Qwertyuiop wrote:
Are the Imperishable Flame and the Secret Fire the same thing? If not what is the difference?
Thanks!

I'm pretty sure they are one and the same thing. :]

The day will come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the Moon and East of the Sun.

PostPosted: October 20th, 2013, 8:29 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Thank you!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2014, 3:21 pm 
Elf
Elf

Can I join??

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2014, 11:16 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Can I join this?

PostPosted: October 18th, 2015, 5:11 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

This Club seems to have gone quiet and I thought I might try reactivating it. The Silmarillion is, hands down, my favourite Tolkien book. I love the stories and the characters.

People seem to have difficulty getting into the book which I have always had difficulty fathoming. I was drawn to it immediately, and it is a must read for fans who wish to have a better understanding of the events that take place in the Third Age: The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Are there any other Sil fans lurking out there?

PostPosted: October 19th, 2015, 9:02 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

*raises hand*.

I completely agree with you! I can't understand having trouble getting into it. I Loved it more than any of his work. In fact it is my favorite fixtion book I have ever read. I am a slow reader and itnis hard for most books to keep my attention past 5-10 pages. The Silmarilion I could read 40-60 pages at a time and when my mi d felt like mush and needed to quite I still didn't want to.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: October 28th, 2015, 8:51 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

I remember going in the book store and taking The Sil to a quiet corner where I sat on the floor and started to read. Oh, how I tried to read that book but couldn't do it. So I went home without it.

The next year, my friend gave it to me for Christmas and I tried again, without success. After the third time, I got a Book Buddy and we read a chapter a week and then talked about it. This worked pretty good so I read it a 4th time.

I loved it but still felt I was missing something so I waited a few months and started to read it again.

It was such an easy read that I couldn't even imagine why I had so much trouble with it all those times.

By far, The Silmarillion is my favourite Tolkien book. Wouldn't it be great if it was made into a movie, or how about a series? Oh, what an adventure that would be!

PostPosted: October 29th, 2015, 8:24 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

I thought I would have had a lot of trouble with it and was surprised I did not. Because typically I am not good at reading, it is hard to keep my attention, I read slow, and about 10-20 pages in I am done dor the day. So I was surprised when I was reading 40-60 pages on the silmarilion per day with ease.

I did love and like you say for sure my favorite book! I would love to see it made intoba movie! But itbwould have to be several movies or perhaps the series would be the best way to do it. That would be wonderful!

PostPosted: October 30th, 2015, 8:08 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I seriously doubt The Silmarillion will ever be filmed either as a movie, or as a TV series.

Let's be honest, the main stories have little, or nothing at all, in common with each other. They're more like a series of vignette, and require the reading of other books in the Tolkien legendarium to fill in missing pieces. In other words, this book requires considerable work on the part of its fans if they are to fully appreciate its beauty and complexity. Writing a script that would do it justice, IMHO, would be nigh impossible.

Then there's the problem of casting the characters. As their descriptions are, by and large, vague, readers have had the luxury of creating their own mental images of what their favourite character(s) would look like. Casting the "wrong" actor or actress in a role would cause a fire-storm of protest. Speaking for myself, I can't think of an actor, past or present, who could possibly fill the role of my personal favourite, Maedhros, and come close to meeting my expectations of what he should look like. Not to mention, Silmarillion readers tend to be more "purist" when it comes to canon and would not tolerate the kind of "tinkering" that Peter Jackson did with The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

Being on a site such as this one may be misleading when discussing whether or not the Silmarillion is filmable. It is, after all, a Tolkien site where one could reasonably expect such enthusiasm to exist. However, the reality is the book does not have the mass appeal that The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings have, and I doubt there would be enough movie goers to generate the income required to undertake such a project, and make it profitable. And, money, my friends, is what it's ultimately about in the entertainment business.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2015, 2:42 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

I agree, honestly. Indon't thinknit ever would be filmed and I realize there would be a lot of challanges! I still think it would be really neat.

PerhAps not ALL of it but certain stories that are complete enough tirned into their own mini series or something.

PostPosted: November 1st, 2015, 12:17 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I would think the most likely book that would lend itself to filming would be The Children of Húrin, which is the story of Túrin and Niënor.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2015, 9:49 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Well, I certainly wouldn't complain about that either. Lol.

I would love to see any of them made into a movie or series etc...

As much as I love reading it is honestly very hard for me to read. I tead very slow and it is very hard for me to keep my attention. So in a lot of ways I feel like I miss out on so much of Tolkien's world. With movies I feel it is more open to me.

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2015, 12:18 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I pre-ordered and reserved my Silmarillion in 1977, as I was worried stores would sell out before I got my hands on a copy.

I was very young back then :-D

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2015, 1:15 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Wow, that's cool. That would have been really neat to have been there for the beginnings of Tolkien's published works and all. I had not even heard of it until 2002 or something like that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next