Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 18th, 2024, 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: April 14th, 2009, 10:17 am 
Balrog
Balrog

Muwahahaha, of course. So tragically resigned to his fate. :lol:

Yes... that might be a good idea. I mean, Maedhros is in the Silmarillion, thus he sorta fits in the Silmarillion club... but... the Maedhros club would be better. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 14th, 2009, 10:55 pm 
Vala
Vala

Haha, okay, so this is way off topic, but I have to put this forward. Today in calc I was letting my mind wander when I realized something. For all of you who watch House, tell me if you can see what I'm talking about.

Turin=House
Beleg=Wilson

Think about it! Turin is a dark angsty loner (like House) and Beleg is pretty much one of Turin's only friends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 15th, 2009, 12:03 pm 
Vala
Vala

I KNOW! And I would love to read a fanfic about that. Heck, maybe I'll write one :P

Aerandir wrote:
I've always considered Maedhros to be really cool. But....I still think that Finrod is way cooler. They both have tragic stories, but at least Finrod stayed true to his friends and his race...Maedhros being involved in the Kinslayings and all....

Finrod is much cooler.

Yeah, Finrod IS pretty sweet. But although Maedhros was involved in the Kinslayings, I don't think he really wanted to be. There's this perfectly angsty passage from the Silmarillion that shows that Maedhros wasn't too happy about killing fellow elves

"But when they were landed, Maedhros the eldest of his sons, and on a time the friend of Fingon ere Morgoth's lies came between, spoke to Fëanor, saying: 'Now what ships and rowers will you spare to return, and whom shall they bring hither first? Fingon the Valiant?'

Then Fëanor laughed as one fey, and he cried: 'None and none! What I have left behind I count no loss; needless baggage on the road it has proved. Let those that curse my name, curse me still, and whine their way back to the cages of the Valar! Let the ships burn!'

Then Maedhros alone stood aside, but Fëanor caused fire to be set to the white ships of the Teleri."

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 15th, 2009, 3:57 pm 
Vala
Vala

I don't think he was ever forced to be evil...he voluntarily swore an oath. He wasn't forced to be evil, he just didn't think about the consequences of his actions until it was far too late. Finrod > Maedhros. :P

Fingon also happens to be one of my favourite elves. His story always seems so tragic to me, especially how he falls alone in the Nirnaeth Arnoediad. I've always wanted to know more about him.

And since there are a few really cool pieces of artwork on deviantART pertaining to these characters...:

Maedhros: http://tuuliky.deviantart.com/art/Noldo ... r-89051720

Finrod: http://tuuliky.deviantart.com/art/Findarato-66757371

Fingon: http://tuuliky.deviantart.com/art/Fingo ... e-66772104
http://gold-seven.deviantart.com/art/Th ... on-5242822

Those are some of my favourite pieces of Silmarillion artwork. ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 15th, 2009, 4:25 pm 
Vala
Vala

Those are great pictures! *Gold-Seven (who made the last pic) has a lot of nice Middle earth art. Here's the gallery: http://gold-seven.deviantart.com/galler ... en-Gallery

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 16th, 2009, 4:31 pm 
Dwarf at Heart
Dwarf at Heart

Why haven't I seen this before? I wish to join this club :-D

He saw there mirrored bright and fair

♥In a poly relationship with Kili and Tauriel♥

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 19th, 2009, 11:23 am 
Vala
Vala

Lol, Aerlinn--I do enjoy the story of Aegnor and Andreth, but I can't help but gleefully point out that you just used an example from HoME to illustrate why you like The Silmarillion more than LotR. ^_^

Tuuliky is my favourite Middle-earth artist, excepting John Howe, of course. I looooove her Silmarillion artwork. And Goldseven's is also really awesome. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 20th, 2009, 7:18 am 
Vala
Vala

...Lady Elleth does an unusual amount of artwork showing the characters from behind. O_o

But, they were all good. :P

Who's your least favourite ME artist (in this case, ones who have actually illustrated the books in the past)? Mine is definitely Ted Nasmith. His illustrations absolutely apall me. I abhor them. >_<

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 20th, 2009, 1:48 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Ick. Oh my gosh, just, ick. Eeewww. It's like, no wonder Beren fell for her that fast, if she went around looking like that... :hide: Not my cup of tea in the least. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 20th, 2009, 3:55 pm 
Vala
Vala

Aerlinn wrote:
However..the WORSt picture EVER belongs to an artist whose name I don't know and don't WANT to know :P ..it's horrible..it destroys the mysterious enchanted atmosphere of Beren & Luthien's story entirely and drags it it down to the level of playboybunnies, beachwear and 80s style cosmetics.

May cause temporarily blindness: http://img-fan.theonering.net/rolozo/im ... uthien.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. Someone kill me. Now.

ZOMG! Thats...I don't even know. Its like a cover picture to some sleazy romance novel. I'm resisting the urge to vomit, even though vomiting would be a more pleasant experience than looking at that "artwork".

Oh Luthien......I know you're not a skank. *tear*

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 20th, 2009, 8:05 pm 
Vala
Vala

Aaaah! I agree 100% that that is the worst piece of Silmarillion artwork ever. Wow. Portraying Lúthien as a *beep* is just....AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

For the artist's sake and continued health, it's just as well that they're not near me right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 20th, 2009, 11:46 pm 
Vala
Vala

It still makes me shutter. And yes, while she does have a very normal (if not athletic) body, I can't help but utterly loathe how made up her face looks. I don't think elves use any make up at all, and she's wearing the blush from hell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 21st, 2009, 7:12 am 
Vala
Vala

So it's pretty much just an alll-around terrible picture. :P

So do any of you guys have a fascination with a particular city/kingdom from Beleriand?

I'm completely in love with Gondolin. ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2009, 9:50 am 
Vala
Vala

Doriath has always struck me as cool, but never nearly as amazing as Gondolin. But then, we also have a lot less information about Doriath. ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 27th, 2009, 2:33 pm 
Ent
Ent

*hangs head* Wow, I am SO sorry for the long hiatus! I just got so turned-off by forums all of a sudden, and only just now remembered that I had started this club! :blush: But everyone has been added to the list (since like, 2007... *hides*).

*cough* Moving on!

Aerandir wrote:
So it's pretty much just an alll-around terrible picture. :P

So do any of you guys have a fascination with a particular city/kingdom from Beleriand?

I'm completely in love with Gondolin. ^_^

I LOVE Gondolin! Especially if you read about it in the Book of Lost Tales volume 2, which has a lot more dialogue and description. It's just so sad how it's betrayed by Maeglin. What a jerk. :P But really, I love Idril, as well. She seems to be such a strong female character (though admittedly Tolkien creates a lot of those, thank god!). And Tuor (along with Turin) is one of my favourite men...

I don't know why, but something about Gondolin just seems so magical.

~ Icon by heatherbee ~

</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 29th, 2009, 9:57 am 
Vala
Vala

Yeah, I did always like Idril, but I think that's because she's in Gondolin and Gondolin=♥ so....:P

Tuor is AWESOME!!! He is definitely my favourite Edain after Beren. And he's not even an Edain anymore, he's of the Eldar now. :D Tuor is sooooo cool. I'm really sad that Tolkien never finished "Of Tuor and His Coming To Gondolin". >_< And Tuor has Dramborleg, which I think is really cool...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next