Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: ~~The Writing Club~~
PostPosted: April 1st, 2015, 8:37 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Love to write? Whether you are accomplished or just starting if you LOVE to write then this is the club for you!

Talk about writing, share your writing, get advice and tips etc.... Anything related to writing is welcome.

Members:

Jax Nova
Erin Lunaire
Khaleesi
Thranduil
~Aranel~
Illana Elanesse
Marida

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Last edited by Jax Nova on November 15th, 2015, 6:11 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject: Re: ~~The Writing Club~~
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2015, 11:35 am 
Ent
Ent

I'll join.

I don't have anything to post. Most of the stuff I have lately is about my book, and I don't want any part of it on the internet. I worked too hard on it the past two years and four months, to lose it all now.

I do however have some tips to share.
[*] Despite the advice from "professional authors" of sticking to what is important for the story, not doing that really helps. Write chapters that you vaguely like. Add ones that hold the plot back. If you get an idea in your head, write that too. Even if your book ends up 1000 pages and millions of words long. You can always go through what you have later, and whittle out all the unimportant stuff. It will help you to develop the world, relationships between characters, and explore sides of them that they might not have revealed otherwise. You might surprise yourself, and find plot twists you never intended.
This happened to me. I created a character that was made to be in the shadows, but is part was very crutial to the story in a way. While going through the third draft, I decided that I want to pull him closer, and have interactions that seem like almost nothing at the time, but build into something greater. This has infact taken a possitive direction on something that I was struggling with.
[*] Don't fear the rewrite.
I myself have done this. I litterally rewrote my book from scratch 5 times, before I found a draft that I felt content with. You never know what works, until you figure out what doesn't.
[*] The chapter order is not set in stone!
I can't stress this enough. In earlier drafts, if you have put a scene that you just love at a certain place, but later on feel it's not right where it is, take a moment to consider where it might be better used.
This happened to me with one beautiful moment, where the character sees something, that stirs hope and offers a reminder what the character is fighting for. Where it was took away so much of the beauty of it, because there was so much going on. In this draft, I have taken it word for word, and pulled it much earlier in the book, and it fits much more perfectly than I could have imagined.
[*] "Making it up as you go along is wrong, you must plan everything first!" is the worst advice ever.
Don't ever think that you have to do this ~ unless it works for you, the have at it. Even Tolkien, at one point was making up The Hobbit and LotR as he went along, and look what he has created. A world so real, that it almost feels like Middle Earth exists somewhere out there. The books are litterally now the mold that all of the fantasy genre works from.
[*] Have fun when you write. Stressing about it, and forcing yourself to write won't help. If you don't feel motivated to write, that will show. The quality would dip. If you feel that you need to take a break for a month. Do it. The story isn't going anywhere. All your characters and the world you have created will be there waiting for you.
Taking little hiatuses from it really helps me. I find that I get my best ideas, when I'm not trying to write something.

That's all I can think of for advice right now. I'll add more when I think of some.

♥ Married to Thranduil, 22 April 2014 ♥

Lónannûniel, Queen of the Woodland Realm ♦

Image Image Image

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2015, 11:52 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Great to have you join!

Hey, great advice too!

Not writing things specific to the plot is one thing I have need to work on. I took 8 years worth of writing courses and they stressed heavily the "Write less" attitude and if it doesn't further the story cut it! I have realized since that it is not always beneficial.

And also, as far as making it up as you go along... I do my best writing that way most times!

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2015, 2:28 am 
Ent
Ent

Sometimes me too.

You know, I find, that if I constantly tell myself that I have to stick to what is 100% crucial, the story ends up as an unfinished draft on my laptop. Sometimes I find, that the less I try to figure out when I start chapter 1, the better it goes. Because that way, I'm in the same boat as my character. Of course they know nothing about the conflict.

I have a question; How do you go about writing the villan or the "Big Bad" in a story?
My answer is, I don't. I prefer that grey area. Where they are not so much evil, as in they are going at achieving their desires through ways that might not be considered good to the protagonist cast. But if you step back, and look at both sides, you can see that maybe both sides could be in the wrong. Also the same with the protagonists, they are not exactly as pure as the fallen snow. Yes they do what is right, but they dabble unconciously between that fine line between good and evil.
I don't really see the world as black and white. Good and evil. Right and wrong. So I don't feel I should force that one or the other way of thinking onto my characters.

Image Image Image

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 5th, 2015, 12:27 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Yeah, I can see that. Putting yourself in their shoes helps.

For me... It's kind of a hard question to answer because I probably spend as much effort into the antagonist sometimes as I do the hero.

I often develop their character AS I write it. Each villan kind of takes on a life of their own as the story progresses. Some of them are clearly evil, some are not. Some appear evil at first and end up being good... while some appear good at first and end up being evil. I try to mix it up but ultimately I don't plan out a ton ahead of time because I know it will change as I write.

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2015, 1:30 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

I feel as if sometimes my characters have a mind of their own. For example, my main character was once an average boy. This character wanted to save all, and now after many re writes is a bit of a passive aggressive fellow who is only out to save his own skin.

Great tips by the way Erin! I especially agree that you should have fun. Write for yourself, or else what is the point?:)

Has anyone here participated in NaNoWriMo?

Also, I would like to join this club!!:D

Banner by me

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2015, 7:34 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Lol, yes I know what you mean. Often times I have precincives ideas for my characters but they end up "doing" their own thing. :p

I have heard about the NaNoWriMo but honestly I am mot even for sure what it is.

I will add you to the member's list too! :D Good to have another member!

PostPosted: September 9th, 2015, 7:56 pm 
Ent
Ent

Khaleesi wrote:
Great tips by the way Erin! I especially agree that you should have fun. Write for yourself, or else what is the point?:)

To true. More often than not, when a story ceases to be fun, it ends up unfinished.

I haven't experienced that much, with my main character. She is exactly how I first imagined her. Save for one small quirk that doesn't change her all that much.

I've never written a NaNoWriMo. Novels take way more than a month to write. If I tried writing without breaks, I would rapidly burn out inspiration wise and never finish it.

Image Image Image

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: October 4th, 2015, 12:45 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

That is my problem... I write too much and burn out before finishing.

But at times I find it hard tonpace myself.

PostPosted: November 9th, 2015, 12:11 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Writing is something I'm okay and I'm always looking to improve and learn. I want to share and have mistakes pointed out so I can learn to be better. I also enjoy a nice talk about writing. May I join in?

PostPosted: November 9th, 2015, 3:15 am 
Ent
Ent

Welcome to the club! I'm sure Jax will add you, when he is online again. :)

Image Image Image

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 9th, 2015, 9:16 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Hey Thranduil! Of course I will add you right away. Welcome to the club! You will have to share some of your writing with is. :)

Nice to see you back in the club, too Erin. How is your weiting coming?

PostPosted: November 9th, 2015, 12:51 pm 
Ent
Ent

Horribly. I hit a massive block. No probs though. I'll do what I always do. Take a month break, and write something else.

My something else story is about angels.

Image Image Image

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 9th, 2015, 1:51 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Ah, well that happens. No easy way around it but I think that is a good solution because it keeps yoir creativity flowing.

PostPosted: November 9th, 2015, 2:26 pm 
Ent
Ent

There is that. But writing something helps keep my writing focused. Rather than getting rusty. My skills move forward.

This angel piece helps me improve two skills, stories, and song writing.

Those are two of three areas I hope to improve on. The third being poetry.

Image Image Image

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 9th, 2015, 2:30 pm 
Ent
Ent

I'd love to join. I'm kinda having trouble getting my muse back with a roleplaying group I'm a part of. So maybe this could help me out. :)

Daughter of Erin Lunaire.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next