Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 30th, 2024, 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2607 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Dr Who Fanclub
PostPosted: October 6th, 2012, 7:50 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Yay!! I appreciate the whole spoiler in big letters thing. :)
Christopher Eccleston is such a perfect Doctor. I love the way he walks.... It's such a happy, yet strange/awkward walk lol. :D

PostPosted: October 6th, 2012, 7:58 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Nurrantiel Mashiara wrote:
Feanor, I just can not understand how you don't like Amy.

Says the girl who doesn't like Rose :P

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: October 6th, 2012, 11:07 pm 

Anameleth wrote:
Feanor, I just can not understand how you don't like Amy.

Says the girl who doesn't like Rose :P

:P Rose is a fine companion. I don't dislike her has a companion. Rose unfortunately crosses the line when she decides her entire life revolves around the Doctor and causes him to change drastically because their story got written as "twu wuv" and insisted on lingering long after it should have ended.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: October 7th, 2012, 6:13 am 

:P Rose is a fine companion. I don't dislike her has a companion. Rose unfortunately crosses the line when she decides her entire life revolves around the Doctor and causes him to change drastically because their story got written as "twu wuv" and insisted on lingering long after it should have ended.

Right there. Touche. I can't remember her having any defining character traits throughout the entire second season besides her being "nice" and in love with the Doctor--and that's not a complete character at all.

Amy, on the other hand, has her life outside the Doctor's world--she has strengths and flaws and even if she and the Doctor are very close, she would still be an interesting character without him there.

PostPosted: October 14th, 2012, 11:08 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Nurr:
I did end up liking her a little in the 7th season... :P
Except in the Dalek asylum episode, of course.

:lol: Rose is my fave companion... and I liked her and the doctor falling in love. :teehee:

PostPosted: October 14th, 2012, 11:26 pm 

Ah well, agree to disagree and to keep the peace, I suppose. :P Anyone else watch the P.S. with Rory's dad? Such a bittersweet thing.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: October 15th, 2012, 6:47 am 
Elf
Elf

I did! The letter was so sad. But I thought the exchange with his grandson was a bit forced.

Click here to visit my site!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: October 16th, 2012, 4:29 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

And I was MAD that the letter did not even mention or acknowledge River. I mean, hello, Rory! You have a daughter too!

Sig set and banner by the amazing Nurr!!

PostPosted: October 16th, 2012, 5:36 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

^Brian's never met River, though. And meeting one unknown grandchild at the time is probably more than enough...

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: October 17th, 2012, 10:02 am 

They've also known the Doctor 10 years, so it's entirely possible that they've mentioned River to him before this.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: October 17th, 2012, 10:19 am 
Balrog
Balrog

^Good point.

I watched all the Series 7 episodes again the other day, and something that bugged me about The Power of Three the first time I watched it, still does. It was actually part of the reason why I watched them again (that, and I was bored :P ), cause I wanted to find out if I was right. So. What <i>exactly</i> is the point of those square-mouthed dudes stealing people from the hospital where Rory works? First that old guy, and then Brian, and we can see that they've been stealing lots of other people as well. That's never explained, and it really annoys me, because as far as I can tell, the only reason they do it is so that Rory will end up on the spaceship (and to give Brian something to do). Basically, it's pointless! So does anyone have any other suggestions?

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: October 19th, 2012, 8:38 am 

^ Erm, no. I've been wondering the same thing actually, but I haven't found the time the rewatch the episode yet, so I'm curious to hear what others think.

PostPosted: December 6th, 2012, 6:46 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

First, I know I'm way late and haven't been around in awhile, to put it mildly :p, but welcome to the fandom, Lil'Hobbit & GotPrecious :bye2:!

Now, discussion. In regard to the lack of explanation for "those square-mouthed dudes stealing people from the hospital", Anameleth and Lhunardaien, I think it boils down to one simple thing: the writer of the episode rushed through to the ending due to time constraints, or something of that nature. Of the five episodes, that one is the second weakest ("Dinosaurs On A Spaceship", though fun, had very little substance, so that one is the weakest of them all, IMO), in my view. The first half or so was great (I loved the nod to the Brigadier, too :yes:, because though I've only seen New Who, I know who that character is, and how important a part of Classic Who he was), and had a lot of potential, but the rush to finish it made all that potential almost completely for naught, unfortunately :confused:.

Nurrantiel Mashiara- About Amy. While I didn't flatly dislike her, I never really "clicked" with her (or Rory) the same way I did with the RTD-era companions, including Martha. I think the reason for that was because both Amy and Rory were too special, if you will, and until these past five episodes, wherein I actually did begin to "click" with them a little, their specialness overshadowed them as people :erm:. Up until this first half of S7, I felt more of a connection with the Doctor and River than either Amy or Rory. I'm positive that won't be a problem with the new companion, though, given my reaction to the, ahem, "guest" who showed up in "Asylum Of The Daleks" ;-).
Quote:
This is actually the first time I've had to a live transition with companions, since I started watching with the world at season 6. It's a different feeling.
Awww..., I'm sorry :-(. *Pats you on the back comfortingly* It is :yes:. I wasn't too heartbroken about Rose (though I shed tears something fierce during the last few minutes of "Doomsday" the first time I watched it) and Martha leaving, but Donna's departure was a complete tearjerker, even more so because she's my favorite companion out of the ones I've seen (Rose is second, followed by Martha). Since you watched the show in reverse, sounds like, you'll have to endure another Who fandom initiation in a few years or so when Eleven/Matt leaves. Depending on which incarnation is "your" Doctor, that can be tough— if the incarnation regenerating is "your" Doctor, there's a good chance you'll be crying buckets and feel sad for awhile; if, on the other hand, the incarnation in question isn't "your" Doctor, it's a bit easier to take. Of course, you might also react the way I did when Ten, "my" Doctor, regenerated. Basically, the five or ten minutes before Matt appeared onscreen as Eleven for the first time, tears were running down my face, but he was so goofy, energetic, and excited that within seconds, I was laughing through my tears :happy:. It wasn't until "The Big Bang" that I truly fell in love with his portrayal of the Doctor, but the emotional fallout, if you will, of "my" Doctor regenerating wasn't too terribly difficult :].

Feanor-
Quote:
So how did everyone like The Angels Take Manhattan?
I loved it— a more or less perfect story, really, with pretty much all the elements that make DW great :yes:. It's my most favorite episode of the five, with "A Town Called Mercy", "Asylum Of The Daleks", "The Power Of Three", and "Dinosaurs On A Spaceship" coming in second, third, fourth, and fifth, respectively.

Quote:
Rose is my fave companion... and I liked her and the doctor falling in love.
Yeah :]? It's Donna for me (actually a tie between her and River, to be completely accurate) :yes:. I liked the Ten/Rose love story (to this day, I still don't think Rose fell in love with Doctor, and him with her, until Ten came along) at the time, adored it, in fact, but don't feel quite as strongly about it now. Now, it's all about Eleven/River (or The Doctor/River, if you'd rather) for me :-D. I just look at the Ten/Rose love story as simply cute and sweet nowadays :].

PostPosted: December 6th, 2012, 5:05 pm 

I've just rewatched the entire third season, and now I've noticed something that I didn't really notice before: The way the Doctor treats Martha during the first few episodes really gave me the creeps sometimes. He was quite cold and sarcastic towards her, which is such a big contrast with the way he treated Rose or even Donna (during the Christmas special). After realising this, I really don't know how I didn't notice this while watching the first time :confused:

As for my favorite companion, it's neither Rose nor Amy, it's Donna ;-) I loved her from the moment she started shouting at the Doctor like it was his fault that she was in the TARDIS in her wedding dress, instead of falling in love with him from the first glance. Seeing them together as proper mates was quite a relief after two seasons of companions swooning over the Doctor.

PostPosted: December 6th, 2012, 6:56 pm 

^Oh yeah, Ten is actually kind of horrible to Martha, which is rather an after effect of the way his character changed because of Rose, which is another reason I'm not really a fan of their relationship.

Donna's my favorite companion too. :teehee: (With Rory a close second.) She's very much her own person, and I loved how she matured as a character. (Of course, then we had the whole end of the season where all that just went away and I am still irked by that one.) So far Amy and Martha are the only ones where I'm good with their story arc endings.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 7th, 2012, 6:39 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

*High fives you both* Fellow Whovians whose favorite companion is Donna, cool 8)!

Lhunardaien-
Quote:
The way the Doctor treats Martha during the first few episodes really gave me the creeps sometimes. He was quite cold and sarcastic towards her, which is such a big contrast with the way he treated Rose or even Donna
He was. *Nods* After effects of losing Rose, no doubt.

I felt exactly the same way about Donna when she first appeared in "The Runaway Bride", then showed up again as the companion in S4 :yes:.

Back to Martha. As I said in my original post, I liked the Ten/Rose love story when I saw it, but when it started to look like RTD & company were going to do the whole "the companion falls in love with the Doctor" thing again in S3 (and make it one-sided, to boot), my immediate reaction was, "Again, guys? Really :confused:?" The fact that they forced a love story into the show again and made it a focus of the season really hurt my view of Martha at the time. Thinking over it now and taking into account the Family of Blood two-parter, the three-episode finale, her appearances in S4, and the eps of Torchwood she was in, though, I've reached the opinion that it wasn't her character that was the problem, but rather, the fact that the writers insisted on turning her relationship with the Doctor into an unrequited love story. She would have been a great companion throughout S3 if not for that :annoyed2:.

Nurrantiel Mashiara- Exactly :yes:. And that's what made her so cool 8). It's a huge shame all that was erased in the S4 finale :erm:. But then a lot of the time, RTD likes(d) to out-Whedon Joss Whedon in whatever way he can (could), so go figure :confused:.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2607 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163  Next