Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1092 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69  Next
 Post subject: Re: 18+ ~*~THE LAST ALLIANCE~*~ +18
PostPosted: August 6th, 2012, 8:59 pm 
Dwarf at Heart
Dwarf at Heart

A lot of little folk here it seems lol. I'm small as well, only 5'3" and also younger than I look. I'm 29 and look more like I'm 25 or so. At least that's how I see myself I think. But I still have to show my drivers license because everyone still thinks I look under 21 XP Some folk actually still think I look under 18! Come on, give me a break. That's an insult. My face is not that youthful. Get close enough to my face, you can see the mid 20s look in it.

He saw there mirrored bright and fair

♥In a poly relationship with Kili and Tauriel♥

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 10th, 2012, 9:46 am 
Istari
Istari

As of a few days ago, I am no longer a teenager. Weird, especially because I don't feel any older. :P

married Mr. Darcy 6/14/2012

PostPosted: August 13th, 2012, 9:05 pm 
Dwarf at Heart
Dwarf at Heart

You don't feel any older at first :lol: Give it a few years or so and you will start feeling older :P Then sooner or later you'll wish you weren't getting any older.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 14th, 2012, 2:58 pm 

Have you also noticed that girls who are only about 12-13 tend to wear the same clothes as people who are over 18? It makes me feel old when I think back to the time when I was 12. I wore t-shirts with cute prints in cute colours and plain jeans, not skinny jeans with sleeveless tops and blazers :annoyed2: Also, I did not wear make-up untill I was 15 or 16, but now I see girls who are barely 10 years old with more make-up on their faces then I wear in an entire week!

PostPosted: August 14th, 2012, 3:01 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

Gosh, I still don't wear make-up. I was never in make-up :P But I blame my boyish-ness not age.

sig set by skitty banner by nurr

PostPosted: August 14th, 2012, 7:09 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

I saw a 6-year old with her mom at the grocery store with blue glitter above her eyelids. Made me really uncomfortable.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 14th, 2012, 9:03 pm 
Dwarf at Heart
Dwarf at Heart

Lhunardaien wrote:
Have you also noticed that girls who are only about 12-13 tend to wear the same clothes as people who are over 18? It makes me feel old when I think back to the time when I was 12. I wore t-shirts with cute prints in cute colours and plain jeans, not skinny jeans with sleeveless tops and blazers :annoyed2: Also, I did not wear make-up untill I was 15 or 16, but now I see girls who are barely 10 years old with more make-up on their faces then I wear in an entire week!

Well, I don't know about some of the younger AU-ers, I know we all come from different age group and I know full well I'm one of the eldest here. But I will say for a fact that 10 year old girls today are nothing like when I was 10, and that was 1993. A different era, I'll say. Ten year olds then did not wear skinny jeans (I don't think they even existed then) or wear tube tops or make-up. Why would a 10 year old need make-up? One, it's a in bad taste for a child that young to wear make-up, it makes one question the parents, and secondly, one that young still has a flawless face. I didn't start wearing any kind of make-up until I was 21 or 22. I started with lip-gloss but I don't think that really counts for make-up anyway. I didn't start using foundation or pressed powder make-up until 23 or 24. Only really because acne hit me in those years and I only used it to try to hide it. I still wear the stuff everyday now, still hiding the acne scars (which are disappearing now due to treatment) and some sun spots. And also because I feel like wearing it. I have eye-liner pencils as well, but I very rarely wear it.

Haldir wrote:
I saw a 6-year old with her mom at the grocery store with blue glitter above her eyelids. Made me really uncomfortable.

That's disturbing. Honestly. As I stated, this makes me question the parent. One can only wonder what that girl will be like when she is older. Probably trashy, no doubt.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 14th, 2012, 9:13 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

Mrs. Haldir wrote:

Well, I don't know about some of the younger AU-ers, I know we all come from different age group and I know full well I'm one of the eldest here. But I will say for a fact that 10 year old girls today are nothing like when I was 10, and that was 1993. A different era, I'll say. Ten year olds then did not wear skinny jeans (I don't think they even existed then) or wear tube tops or make-up. Why would a 10 year old need make-up? One, it's a in bad taste for a child that young to wear make-up, it makes one question the parents, and secondly, one that young still has a flawless face. I didn't start wearing any kind of make-up until I was 21 or 22. I started with lip-gloss but I don't think that really counts for make-up anyway. I didn't start using foundation or pressed powder make-up until 23 or 24. Only really because acne hit me in those years and I only used it to try to hide it. I still wear the stuff everyday now, still hiding the acne scars (which are disappearing now due to treatment) and some sun spots. And also because I feel like wearing it. I have eye-liner pencils as well, but I very rarely wear it.

Yeah , it was the same when I was 10. It honestly hasn't been this bad until VERY VERY recently - and I mean like the past couple of years recently . When I (and other kids my age) were 10, we looked 10 (I wore dresses and cute things). High heels at that age was unheard of because it's a known fact that shoes like that are damaging for developing feet. And I see little kids walking around with heels nowadays too. So weird. My mom would never let me wear nail polish, use hair dye or any form of makeup that was damaging in any way to my developing self until I was in high school.

I pretty much wear a mountain of makeup now. I don't really care. It's fun and I love it. I look fine without it but I like looking perfect/flawless.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 15th, 2012, 2:14 am 
Dunadan
Dunadan

Wow, 10-years old and make-up? Children want to quickly grow up, aren't they? If I was the parent, I would never let her wear that glitter.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2012, 2:09 pm 

I was 10 in 2001, and even that seems like ages ago in terms of growing up. I can't remember even being remotely interested in fashion or make-up before I was at least 13 or 14, but nowadays all stores have 'adult clothes' in very small sizes, so they are also suited for younger children.

And it was the same for me Haldir, my mum wouldn't even let me wear make-up or heels if I would have asked for it. Mothers of young girls nowadays seem all to eager to let their daughters dress in the right (much too mature) clothes, especially when they can wear something similar so they look very young and fashionable. So I guess it's not only a change in young girls behavior, but also in their parents, and especially mothers, attitude.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2012, 2:17 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

Lhunardaien wrote:
So I guess it's not only a change in young girls behavior, but also in their parents, and especially mothers, attitude.

That's actually the whole thing - young girls will always be young girls. Every little girl is eager to grow up and to be "grown up" and appear/act mature, it's always been that way. But that's where parenting comes in, and honestly kids nowadays are much more spoiled than they used to be because society's changed, and so has styles of parenting. Everything's just way too liberal and easygoing. Which is good and bad at the same time.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 16th, 2012, 2:37 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

That's true, Haldir. My friend's children are so spoiled because their mother doesn't think it's good to punish child when they do something wrong. And these kids are really terrible. They may have problems in school later, because they don't want to social with other kids, just want to give orders to adults (and adults are doing everything what they ask for).

PostPosted: August 16th, 2012, 3:40 pm 

And then people wonder why the rate of behavioral disorders amongst children has risen so fast in the last decade..
Ofcourse it's good that parents aren't as strict anymore as they were 100 years ago: letting children stand during dinner, always having to wear formal clothes, not being able to enjoy their childhood. Now children are allowed to play as much as they like, but at the same time they are already treated as adults when they're just out of toddlerhood, resulting in young children who have as much or more to say in a household as their parents. And when one of those young girls mentions she wants to dress like Rihanna, her parents just give in...

PostPosted: August 17th, 2012, 10:50 am 
Istari
Istari

I do think that people who cake makeup on are being kind of ridiculous. As I see it, makeup is supposed to bring out your natural beauty, not cover it up. Although I do agree that makeup can be used in some very creative ways, and I do admit to picking up fashion magazines every now and then. :p

I usually just put on the basics... light mascara, blush, and some cover-up. I never want to cake it on around my eyes - think of all those chemicals they put in the stuff! (and, like most of you, I never even started wearing makeup until I was halfway through high school.)

married Mr. Darcy 6/14/2012

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2012, 11:06 am 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

Like Mrs. Haldir, I grew up in the same "era" ('80s and early '90s) and it truly was a different age, compared to now. It was even a different age compared to the mid '90s and late '90s, especially in Sweden. When I grew up there were only two (!) TV channels and both were public service. There was only one children's show on per day at 6:15pm and it was always the same show. The only cartoon Swedish kids got was five minutes of Tom & Jerry every Monday, unless there was an animated short as part of the daily children's show which happened occasionally. We got our first VCR when I was four years old, but the only movie we had for the first few years was the Sound of Music. I wore dresses and played with dolls until I was 10 years old (or so) and I wasn't the old one. I got my first Barbie when I was 8-9 years old, an age when most girls today wouldn't even be caught dead with a Barbie.

Times have definitely changed and not for the better. I would never buy make-up, bikinis and bra-like underwear for my future daughters (should I ever have any) before they would reach puberty.

Another thing that bothers me greatly is the gender segregated and defined clothes for children. The girl section is all fluffy pink and purple with ruffles, butterflies and sparkles whereas the boy section is all tough, action and hardcore with dark colors. I think there should be way more neutral and unisex options as well as some "hardcore action" in the girl section too. Girls should be allowed to have cars and motorcycles (for example) on their clothes, without feeling like they're wearing "boy clothes". The same goes for the toy stores! It makes me kind of sick.

.*+I'VE MET ANTIGONE, MONTANABOHEMIAN, RAIVYNN PHOENIX, BERIADANWEN & PIRATEOFTHERINGS+*.

(¯`•¸·´¯`·._.·[TRUE VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE]·._.·´¯`·¸•´¯)

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2012, 4:55 pm 

Good point about the differences between boys and girls clothes and toys Eru. Currently I'm working at a daycare, and one of the thing I enjoy most about those kids (aged 2-4) is that they don't care yet about what is more suited for boys or for girls. Pink is the favorite colour in general, and everyone likes the cars just as much as the dolls. Their parents however really don't like those little boys running around in a long pink skirt...

I think kids nowadays are pushed too much in a direction not everyone of them likes: shy boys have to be tough, cool girls have to be cute, they all have to play at least one instrument, participate in at least one teamsport, achieve high grades, and have lots of friends. And then people wonder why kids already get sick from unhappiness at a young age.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1092 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69  Next