Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: *The Return of the King* -General BookTopic
PostPosted: March 21st, 2006, 4:14 pm 
Elf
Elf

[font=Arial, sans-serif]I missed a general RotK-topic just to share our feelings about the book and for short questions or comments, so here we go![/font]
8)
Am I the only one who thinks it was a pity the title of the book gave away the plot in The Return of the king?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 21st, 2006, 6:12 pm 

I thought is was too, but Tolkain did want to have all 3 books in the same volume, with the name "The Lord of the Ring" (someone please correct me if I am wrong) but the publishers though it would be too long to be one book, hence the three seperate ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 21st, 2006, 9:06 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I think it was going to be "War of the Ring" actaully.

Anyways, I always kinda knew that Aragorn was gonna be king - I mean, it couldn't be any other way. Tolkein always agve me the impression of a "Happily ever after" sort of guy. I don't mind really - i like Return of the King much more than I like War of the Ring, becasue War of the Ring in more like all the books combined together, rather than just the last book.

Who else thinks that Return of the King was the best of the three books/movies? I always liked it better than the others for some reason . . i always liked reading about Gandalf, Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas more than Frodo and Sam - until right up the end i always though Frodo and Sam's part a bit boring - especially compared to The Battle of Pelenor Fields and the Ride of the Rohirrim, lol.

Snow white, snow white, o Lady clear,
O Light to us that wander here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 22nd, 2006, 3:01 am 
Elf
Elf

Ardhoniel wrote:

Who else thinks that Return of the King was the best of the three books/movies? I always liked it better than the others for some reason . . i always liked reading about Gandalf, Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas more than Frodo and Sam - until right up the end i always though Frodo and Sam's part a bit boring - especially compared to The Battle of Pelenor Fields and the Ride of the Rohirrim, lol.

I totally agree when it comes to the part of Frodo and Sam being a bit boring compared to the battles. But I liked the first part, the Fellowhip, better then The Return of the King because it gave me the feeling of seeing a whole new world though Frodos' eyes. I liked his part in that book.

A whole other issue: The scouring of the shire. I think its a bit overrated. It doesn't add anything to the 'main story' to me. I think Tolkien overdid it a little bit with that last twist. Or am I overreacting? :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 22nd, 2006, 6:53 pm 
Elf
Elf

I love RotK, although I don't like it as much as TTT. I always thought that Frodo and Sam's part dragged a bit. I do like the Scouring of the Shire though.

:hammer:

Profile       WWW         ICQ    

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 31st, 2006, 8:32 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I don't find that the title 'The Return of the King' gives away the plot of the book. For one it is quite evident of Aragorn's heritage, and the returning of the king would seem evident-unless of course there was a surprisetwist were Aragorn was not the true heir to the throne, and some other guy becomes king! But then the title would be more than suitable! But if it was 'The War of the Ring', well it seemed like a war for the ring since Sauron first heard of its recovery, and that is some time before the third book, yea even the first.

It's funny that I always dreaded the time I would have to read Frodo and Sam's part when reading the books. However, when I get to it, it just totally sucks me in-that is a good book!

http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7521

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 1st, 2006, 1:49 pm 
Maia
Maia

I can't choose! I like every movie/book of LotR equally. After all, they are the same story and are actually 1 book with 3 volumes.

Thank you for five-plus wonderful years of obsession, friendship and fun

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 4th, 2006, 4:48 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I never knew why, but I always liked the sound of Return of the King more than the War of the Ring - it sounds more hopeful somehow.

Anyways, I always liked the Return of the King, although I love the entire book as a whole too.

I thought the Scouring of the Shire was great - just when you think it's all over, there's just one more twist. It makes me think -Its happily ever after - for now. But life is full of new developments and endings, and is it really possible to live happily ever after for the rest of your days without something else happening? without something else changing? I mean, even when you think that all will be well - Sauron and Saruman are both thrown down, Aragorn is King, peace reigns, even then it's not over - Frodo isn't at peace, and he leaves for the Grey Havens - it's a story that can never have a conclusive ending, because life will go on, and who knows, mayhaps another dark lord will arise?

It just doesn't fit that this story can end until Middle Earth is gone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 4th, 2006, 6:50 am 
Elf
Elf

Ardhoniel wrote:
I thought the Scouring of the Shire was great - just when you think it's all over, there's just one more twist. It makes me think -Its happily ever after - for now. But life is full of new developments and endings, and is it really possible to live happily ever after for the rest of your days without something else happening? without something else changing? I mean, even when you think that all will be well - Sauron and Saruman are both thrown down, Aragorn is King, peace reigns, even then it's not over - Frodo isn't at peace, and he leaves for the Grey Havens - it's a story that can never have a conclusive ending, because life will go on, and who knows, mayhaps another dark lord will arise?

You sure have a few good points there, the happily ever after-ending would be unrealistic. I can only agree :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 4th, 2006, 6:08 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

I don't think the title gave away too much. At the time of reading it for the first time I was a bit unclear on things and I don't think I really thought 'King! Aragorn! Amagad spoiler!' but when it's explained about Aragorn's return to the throne I found myself thinking 'Aha, so THAT'S why it's called Return of the King'.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just a bit slow picking things up. :P

I think Return of the King is the best story-wise, however The Fellowship will always be my favourite on the gorgeous imagery and place descriptions. I like the innocence of it as well, which kinda gets lost throughout the rest of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 8th, 2006, 7:28 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Yeah, I like the music to the Fellowship movie, especially in the beginning, but Return of the King will always be my favorite.

I really don't think the title gave much away. I can't say I really remeber the first time I read it, it was so long ago, lol, but I still like it better than War of the Ring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 8th, 2006, 7:40 pm 
Elf
Elf

The War of the Ring wouldn't be good really, I agree. But isn't there another option instead of The Return of the King?

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 10th, 2006, 7:26 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

The War Of The Ring was Prof. Tolkien's choice but the publishers' not. But I do not really think that I got a hind the first time I read the book. At least up to a point. After that point is absoltley clear. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 14th, 2006, 8:53 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Yeah, that's what it was like with me. I didn't cotton on until after it was perfectly obvious that they had won and Aragorn was going to become King.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 13th, 2006, 7:26 pm 

I don't think I really payed attention to the title at all. I just read the book and eventually the whole ending just unfolded without the help of the title. Maybe that's just my lack of eye for detail showing... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 14th, 2006, 4:07 am 
Balrog
Balrog

I don't think that the title Return of the King gives away the plot... at least I never felt like that when I read the books, I like all the books equally, but I like the movie RotK a bit better than the others... at first I also thought the part of Frodo and Sam was quite boring, but when reread it I liked it just as much as the other part...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next