Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 28th, 2024, 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 21  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: September 25th, 2006, 5:27 pm 
Vala
Vala

Location: somewhere sympathy is more than just a way of leaving

It's alwasy good to make sure. I'm not an easily offended person, but I'm sure there are people like that on this forum. And since we can't here the tone of each other's voices, it's a lot easier to offend people on here.
But no, I wasn't offended at all.
Referring to your previous question Ea, what is love? I believe it's one of those things we'll never really know. Love is different for everybody. Some people scron it, some people can't live without it. Evil people do not know it. Then of course there are different types of love. Oh dear. I think that's another one we need a whole different threada for. But maybe no one wants to talk about that anyway. How's the good and evil thread coming, by the way? I haven't seen anyone post there for awhile. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 27th, 2006, 10:53 am 
Half-elf
Half-elf

My friend had gone to watch RotK into the movie theatre (I didn't, which I deeply regret, but I was onnly 11 when it came, or 10) and when Bilbo said "Oh, pity. I would've so much wanted to see it for one last time", everyone had just started to laugh. A funny scene. But no, it wasn't true to the book, because I believe Bilbo wasn't demented in the book :D

I revisited AU on Jan 14th after an almost 10-year break! The nostalgia..!

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 27th, 2006, 3:55 pm 
Vala
Vala

I do love that scene. It's so cute, and it really shows the love between Frodo and Bilbo. Thanks for helping me out with the quote. I don't profess to know the films by heart, but I'm working on it. :)
I don't think Bilbo was demented. :blink: I think that scene wasn't quite true to the book because in the book, Bilbo knew about the Ring and that Frodo had destroyed it. That's all. And it doens't bother me that it changes from the book, because I think it is a very sweet additional scene.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 28th, 2006, 7:59 am 
Half-elf
Half-elf

yep, movies always need some extra character development. And I wasn't saying Bilbo was demented, the scene makes him seem like that. Although he wasn't. Ok, maybe I should quit because ppl don't understand me.. :D I'll talk about something else next time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 28th, 2006, 5:07 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

I find I hard to agree with anyone at this point but I am a sucker for a guy ith long hair. Aragorn is not the kind of person(I think) that would become king then ignor her after almost dying more then a 100 times just for her. Besides I don't think she would just sit back and take that. :) She's a "you give me what I want or die" person on the inside along with a very sweet personality! (My first post in the ROTK section)

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2006, 2:12 am 
Half-elf
Half-elf

Arwen is a you give me what i want or die- person?? Or who did you mean, because if you meant Arwen... it's no use to post anything.. before I get angry :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2006, 5:34 pm 
Vala
Vala

I don't think laurel quite meant to be that extreme.
Arwen isn't a you-give-what-I-want-or-die person. But she is very strong, and not submissive at all. She doesn't just sit back and take what's handed to her. She's a fighter. Especially for those she loves, and especially as much as she loved Aragorn.
Sorry Earlinde, by the way. I hope I didn't make you feel bad or offended. I wasn't trying to do that. I like you very much. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 30th, 2006, 6:36 am 
Half-elf
Half-elf

You never make me upset or offend me! Have I said so? If I have, that's certainly not what I've meant.. And I agree, Arwen is NOT that kind of person at all. She's strong and elegant and loving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 30th, 2006, 9:02 am 
Vala
Vala

Ok. Just wanted to make sure. :)
I agree. Arwen is probably my favorite LOTR female. I know a lot of people like Eowyn,a dn I really like her a lot too, but I just really feel a strong connection with Arwen. Who knows why? I was glad that we got to see more of her in the movies. I thought there was too little about her in the books. I loved the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen in the appendices though. *sigh* So beautiful.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 30th, 2006, 1:07 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

I really like both of them, but in different ways. Earlinde, that was a perfect way to describe her. :)

My blog
My graphics journal

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 30th, 2006, 3:26 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

a perfect way? thanks! well, that's the way I think she is. Strong, elegant, BEAUTIFUL, elvish, noble (Arwen actually means 'noble'), and loving. I feel like I can understand her character, and her actions, and connect to her, much better than to Eowyn. but I like Eowyn too, though not as much as Arwen, because Eowyn is just a young girl, might I say, while Arwen has experienced so much already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 30th, 2006, 8:07 pm 

Tinuviel's Tears wrote:
Referring to your previous question Ea, what is love? I believe it's one of those things we'll never really know. Love is different for everybody. Some people scron it, some people can't live without it. Evil people do not know it. Then of course there are different types of love. Oh dear. I think that's another one we need a whole different threada for. But maybe no one wants to talk about that anyway. How's the good and evil thread coming, by the way? I haven't seen anyone post there for awhile. :(

Love is a many-splendored thing!
And I believe it is quite appropriate to talk about love in a thread about Arwen and Aragorn's marriage! No, I do not have the answer to the question, unfortunately but I would be happy to discuss it with you!
By the way, the Evil vs. Good thread has been very silent for a while... Hmm... it might be partly my fault since I haven't been much around to "nurse" it... should probably head over to see how things are going there - you are more than welcome to come along! :angel:

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 1st, 2006, 12:34 am 
Vala
Vala

I saw that you posted there, and if you'll mosey on over, I believe you'll find I have added a few of my humble thoughts.
Love is a many splendored thing! Love lifts us up where we belong! All you need is love! *breaks into song* Oh I love that movie so much. One of the few movie sound tracks I own. I think Come What May is beautiful........
Oh, sorry! :blush: This is about Aragorn and Arwen, not Moulin Rouge. Got carried away.
I think it is definitely appropriate to discuss love in an Aragorn and arwen thread, but not as the main topic. Their love was truly beautiful. That's one thing that strikes me about Tolkien's works is the love between the characters. It is such a pure, strong, true love. You can't find that nowadays. It seems to be gone. But Tolkien embodies it so well, not only in Aragorn and Arwen and Eowyn and Faramir, but in friends like Frodo and Sam, Meryy and Pippin, Bilbo and Gandalf, etc. The list goes on. I believe that that is part of the power, not only of the characters, but of Tolkien's writing is that presence of unstainable, irreplacable, indestructable love.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 2nd, 2006, 9:46 am 
Half-elf
Half-elf

I think the very basis, or starting point, of Tolkien's writings' love themes, is the story of Luthien and Beren. Ahh, I love it! and Tolkien's wifes grave has Luthien on it,and his has Beren... lovely!

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 2nd, 2006, 5:25 pm 
Vala
Vala

First of all, I am so sorry for the repost guys! Dont' know how that happened. :confused:

Second of all, OH MY GOODNESS. I did not know that about Tolkien's and his wife's grave! That has to be the sweetest thing I have ever heard in my entire life. That's beautiful. That's pure romance for you right there. And you're right, love was definitely one of the central themes of Tolkien's works.
*sigh* Tolkien. I love him so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 4th, 2006, 1:13 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

Yeah I think that is really sweet. Tolkien must have invented it himself, because his wife died before him..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 21  Next