Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: BBC Merlin
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2012, 6:43 pm 

If it wasn't for the excellent cinematography and the pretty, I don't know if I'd still be watching, to be honest. The Desir episode really hit me hard in terms of storytelling, and so I've felt a bit lackluster about the past two. I guess I just see all the potential that *could've* happened this season, and how it's rather been ignored, and it's hard for me to be excited about the same type of formula we've been getting.

Plus, how can a magic reveal work now? Merlin's basically told Arthur to forget about magic. It's just...arg. I WANT THE BEST FOR YOU ALL BECAUSE YOU'RE PHENOM ACTORS AND IT'S PHENOM CiNEMATOGRAPHY AND MUSIC AND YOU COULD BE SO GREAT.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 24th, 2012, 9:38 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Yeah, I thought the writing in the last episode was a bit lack-luster. But then the writing hasn't been the greatest in most of the episodes with the exception of a few. The usual handful of formulas are written and re-written in various ways (somebody gets kidnapped, poisoned, enchanted, etc. and Merlin and Arthur go off to find/rescue/heal them). The acting, set, and costumes are pretty good, And I think Morganna has better parts now, even if she doesn't wear all the pretty dresses she did when living in the castle. Guinevere doesn't wear the pretty dresses as well. Still, it's a Sunday night guilty pleasure to watch the show. Ok... I admit it. I''m a Katie McGrath fanboy.

Season 1

Season 2

Season 3

Season 4

Season 5

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 27th, 2012, 2:02 pm 

Yeah, pretty much post-season three I've been more disappointed than excited about episodes. Haha, I miss Morgana's pretty dresses too. Just because they were gorgeous dresses and I loved drooling over them. It's okay, if we're allowed to fangirl over all the knights, I think you're good to fanboy over Katie. :teehee:

Everyone hear the news about this being their last season? I'm really wondering how they're going to fit in all the necessary things with only five episodes. (Well, four really, since the next one doesn't look very plot-advancing either except perhaps stuff for Mordred? hopefully?)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 27th, 2012, 4:04 pm 
Maia
Maia

Will the holiday special bit be in two parts? That could wrap up things pretty well.

PostPosted: November 28th, 2012, 1:20 am 
Istari
Istari

OK, has everyone seen the latest episode? It's better than most of the season 5 episodes so far, but evil Gwen really annoys me. Even if Morgana did somehow corrupt her with that creepy mandrake torture thing, does anyone else find it unrealistic that Gwen would just murder an innocent man without any remorse?

I agree, the Disir episode just annoyed me. I don't trust Mordred, but what is going on with Merlin? Did he really tell Arthur that "there can be no place for magic in camelot?" That's the opposite of what he's supposed to be saying... ugh. But I can never hate Merlin... Arthur is his first priority and he's always doing what he thinks will protect Arthur.
On another subject, Merlin needs to learn not to trust his 'visions.' Every time he tries to change the future, he only makes the bad vision come true... he should listen to Gaius when he says that there are many possible futures.
And Merlin is so serious in this season, I miss his smile. :(

OK, now good things. I LOVE THE MUSIC! In every season it's great, it reminds me of the epic Narnia soundtracks. I can also tell that Arthur and Merlin are getting closer... magic reveal any day now? Hopefully? Please??

married Mr. Darcy 6/14/2012

PostPosted: November 28th, 2012, 8:08 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Thanks Nurrantiel! :)

The last season? Yeah, I can see that. The points made by Ariadne are some reasons for it. The writing has really tanked, and it was only marginally good at best in the early seasons. And the whole "evil" Guin seemed too contrived to be even remotely believable. Yes, 5 seasons... I think It had its run.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 28th, 2012, 8:36 am 
Elf
Elf

I agree that the show has had it's run, It's disappointing that we won't see much of a Camelot where magic isn't banned (if we do at all) but I can only imagine how contrived and boring it would be if they'd dragged out the reveal for another series. I've always found the writing and the acting to be consistently bad, yet it was always kinda charming. It does seem to me like they're gonna have to retcon a lot of stuff or leave a lot of loose ends to end the show in the next 4/5 eps.

Have seen some odd rumours floating around that the very last scene may be set in modern day and suggest that Merlin and Arthur have been reincarnated in the present- has anyone else heard the same? What do you think of it?

And on a more worrying note- what am I going to watch on Saturday Nights?

PostPosted: November 28th, 2012, 8:09 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Nooooo why are they ending it so soon??!?!
*dies*
How are they gonna tie up all the loose ends?!
Mordred isn't even evil yet! How are they gonna do his story?
WHY HAVE THEY BEEN IGNORING HIM?!?
Then there's the whole Gwen being evil thing, surely that will take some time to get settled, and Merlin becoming the court magician and all that, of course!
If Arthur doesn't find out about Merlin's magic... -.- I will hunt down the writers and kill them be very upset.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2012, 10:47 pm 
Istari
Istari

I think Mordred could be 'evil' now, there's something in his eyes whenever Merlin says something to him that seems off. But then Merlin hasn't been very accepting of him... I think that Merlin keeps making his own enemies (e.g. by poisoning Morgana).

I agree, Fea, the magic reveal HAS to come soon. I thought that was the whole point of Merlin's destiny? Of course part of it was to protect Arthur and help him unite the kingdom, but wasn't he also supposed to make it possible for magic to be accepted again?

PostPosted: December 1st, 2012, 12:05 am 

Ariadne394 wrote:

I agree, Fea, the magic reveal HAS to come soon. I thought that was the whole point of Merlin's destiny? Of course part of it was to protect Arthur and help him unite the kingdom, but wasn't he also supposed to make it possible for magic to be accepted again?

AUGH NO EXACTLY EXACTLY. This is why I was so disappointed with the Disir episode. The reason he was told to protect Arthur in the first place was because he was going to be a king who united Albion and allowed magic again. The Arthur in these series has not done that yet. Sure, I understand Merlin doesn't want Arthur to die, they're good friends, but it still irks me that the reason he's been told to do everything he's been "fated" to is for this golden age where magic is allowed. AND IT HASN'T FREAKING HAPPENED YET. I just don't understand the storytelling choices. They knew they only wanted five seasons, they planned for five seasons, so why would you plan a last minute five episode rush to tie up all this?

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 1st, 2012, 3:11 pm 
Istari
Istari

^ I know, I would personally like to see a whole season (or at least half a season) where magic is allowed. Everyone from the show keeps saying that it's reached it's natural end, but I think it seems far too rushed in this series.

And Merlin's excuse for not revealing it to Arthur (or to anyone who isn't dead or about to die) is that Arthur would have him executed. Does he really think that would happen? Hopefully after five seasons they're close enough for Arthur to accept it without wanting Merlin dead because of his magic.

PostPosted: December 1st, 2012, 11:28 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

AHHHHH.
Ok seriously Merlin
I'm gonna kill you. -.- Evil stupid Merlin!
After this ep I think Mordred is going to turn evil because Merlin is so mean to him. If Merlin would just stop treating him like some evil guy he probably wouldn't turn out as one!
He's not evil yet! But thanks to you he probably will be.
And then Arthur is gonna have to kill him. noooo!!!
I don't care if he's evil in the original stories, this is totally different. And he doesn't seem evil at all so far.
It's all Merlin's fault!!!!
Seriously... I really want to kill Merlin right about now! ahh! *dies*

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2012, 12:50 am 
Istari
Istari

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtD86F6P_m4
^ Thought you all would like this video since we haven't seen Merlin smile or laugh at all this season...

I haven't seen the most recent one yet, so I can't comment. But I think the Hollow Queen episode was in part trying to redeem Merlin somewhat: his going off to who knows where to help a random guy he knows nothing about seems more like something the old Merlin would do. But we've had two episodes in a row about Gwen trying to kill Arthur... we get it, writers, you don't need to waste another episode on the same story line when it's your last season.

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2012, 8:31 pm 

^Oh that's so good but depressing. Merlin has really grown awful solemn this season (I guess that's a side effect of seeing a vision of your best friend dying or something...).

I totally agree with you Feanor! Mordred has done nothing but show his loyalty to Arthur and friendship to Merlin, even though he has no reason to be friendly to Merlin. And yet because of his vision, Merlin treats him horribly. DID YOU NOT LEARN LAST TIME, MERLIN? WHEN YOU BASICALLY MADE THE FUTURE HAPPEN FOR MORGANA THAT YOU HAD 'FORSEEN'? Gah. Here Mordred was being completely loyal, even refusing to tell Morgana who Emrys was....it's just depressing. Merlin as the sorceress, though... :lol:

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2012, 9:31 pm 
Istari
Istari

^ I KNOW! It's so frustrating... Mordred seems genuinely nice and loyal, but Merlin keeps being a jerk to him. And then like you said, Nurr, Mordred even protected Merlin when he knew perfectly well that Merlin is Emrys. This won't end well...

Favorite quote: "There is no evil in sorcery, only in the hearts of those who use it." Preach it, Merlin! :yes: Hopefully Arthur will listen.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2012, 10:20 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Merlin should diiieee!!!! -.-
Sheesh... he used to be one of my favorite characters but now I dislike him the most. WHAT ARE THE WRITERS DOING THIS FOR?!?! O_o

Random question. Did anyone else predict what would happen in season 5 before any of the episodes came out and before looking at interviews? :P
It's fun seeing how much I guessed right. XD

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next