Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Baker Street Irregulars (Sherlock Holmes)
PostPosted: January 10th, 2014, 12:45 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

And "His Last Vow" is going to be painful I'm afraid... :[

The day will come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the Moon and East of the Sun.

PostPosted: January 13th, 2014, 4:57 pm 

Larael wrote:
This thread is going to be the bane of my existence if we start talking series 3. I haven't been able to watch it, and I won't be able to till next weekend. Until then I've been sneakily reading reviews advertised with no spoilers. It is killing me.

One of the best things about Sherlock is that it only takes 5 hours to watch an entire season, so you can easily watch it in one day. Of course that's also one of the worst parts about Sherlock :-(

But anyway.. Come on guys! Please tell me someone has seen it already and willing to discuss it :erm: I haven't dared to venture near Tumblr yet, but I'm feeling like I might explode if I don't talk about it with someone who understands what I'm going through :blink:

PostPosted: January 13th, 2014, 6:29 pm 

Aah! Sorry for not replying Lhun! I've just watched the first episode for the second time and I thought it was absolutely awesome! It was not completely what I expected, but in any case it was hilarious and thrilling really!

So I'll go more into details of the episode now.

Anyone who hasn't seen episode 3x01 yet, beware of spoilers.

- What really flabbergasted me at first, but what was quite amusing later on, was how not serious the writers/creators are taking themselves/the episode. The entire episode was seemingly meant to mess with the fan's heads. It started of course with the first "how he did it" theory (theory nr X of Anderson). When seeing this for the first time my thoughts were something like this: they can't be serious :jawdrop: But in retrospect, I really like the idea of this James Bond-escape and that Sherlock shares a kiss with Molly. :happy: And there were so many other things, the jokes about the coat, the scene with Moriarty. It was so hilarious and not serious. :P

- Sherlock and John's reunion was also really nice. (Go John, for punching those cheeks a few times.. :P) I would really have hated if John had walked away and not vented his anger.

- I loved all the Mycroft and Sherlock interaction. It's great to get some insight in their strange relationship. The scene where they played games and did deductions was absolutely awesome. :-D (Especially: "I actually used to think I was an idiot." "Both of us thought you were an idiot Sherlock, we had nothing else to go on." :lol: )

- The kidnapping of John was seemed really random and a bit too much for the first episode, but I did love the suspense and the hints that Sherlock got through Mary's texts. It was actually nice to see how much both Mary and Sherlock cared for John. :)

As for the things I did not like so much:

- Like you said, Lhun, I missed the cleverness of the past episodes. Sherlock didn't need much to solve the mystery and I, as viewer, was not left as much in the dark as in other episodes. I kind of felt like watching a James Bond movie with the whole terrorist-attack-and-bomb-in-underground-metro-station-plot. :confused: It didn't feel new. Though I was glad that Sherlock didn't know how to dismantle the bomb at first. But I hope that the clever and complicated mysteries return in the next episode. I just love not knowing what the hell is going on until Sherlock reveals everything in the last minute. :P

- I thought that the Sherlock-obsessed Anderson was vaguely disturbing. Actually, it took me about ten minutes to realise it was Anderson, as I hadn't recognised him immediately. Anyway, I liked him better when he still hated Sherlock.

- I also thought that Sherlock was quite friendly in this episode. Perhaps it was because he has just returned from the dead and is thankful to see his friends again, but somehow I missed his rude/asocial remarks. :whistle:

- The episode made us believe that the last theory about the jump is actually how Sherlock did it. But I'm not convinced yet that Sherlock told the truth to Anderson. It still seems quite random and disappointing and he hardly needed Molly's help, if that is how he actually did it. :erm:

I haven't seen any of the other episodes yet. I think I will wait perhaps for a few more weeks to watch the second one. I really hate that only after three weeks the third season is over again.

So as I really don't want to be spoilered for the next episodes, please warn for spoilers and of which episode the spoilers are! :)

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2014, 2:44 pm 

Anyone who hasn't seen episode 3x01 yet, beware of spoilers.

I'm not so sure the last given theory is actually the true one, because of that final comment Sherlock made to John. John asked something about how he did it, but Sherlock doesn't really answer his question. So I believe there's still something he's not telling us, and I'm surprisingly fine with that. I had way too much fun with the three theories that have been shown (especially the hair ruffle followed by kissing Molly) to worry about what was real and what wasn't. Although it would still be neat to find out...

Also, I loved the bit where we are lead to believe that Sherlock and Mycroft are playing chess, while they are actually playing "Operation"! :lol:

PostPosted: January 17th, 2014, 1:58 pm 
Elf
Elf

This is getting hard.. trying to watch out for spoilers here. if I would have any sense, I wouldn't check the messages. But some odd way I have to.. I'm too addicted of Sherlock right now. Yuo can guess how hard is to write this message without reading the previous messages.. But anyways. I got just 2 days to wait.. And how I'm gonna be not reading any spoilers? There was a huge article about Sherlock and Benedict in the newspaper today.. I actually screamed when I saw it. :p

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: October 8th, 2014, 4:34 pm 

Not sure if any Sherlock-fans are still around, but I'll give it a go; What did you think about the third season? Everyone has probably seen all three episodes by now, and I'd like to hear your opinions :)

Personally, I liked the development of the characters - especially Mary's! - but overall the three episodes missed the cleverness and intelligence of the first two seasons. Yes, cases are still solved and Sherlock is still brilliant, but so much attentiont is directed towards the characters that the main storyline is no longer about solving those cases. And for me, that is what Sherlock Holmes - in all portrayals - should be about. I want to be wowed by his cleverness, not by his ability to irritate people.

PostPosted: October 8th, 2014, 11:20 pm 
Istari
Istari

(I'm going to pop in here to say that RDJr has said that there is definitely a Sherlock 3 movie in the works *fangirl squeal* ok, bye now)

PostPosted: October 9th, 2014, 8:45 am 

^ Oh yay! That's good news :-D The next "Sherlock" we'll get will probably be a Christmas episode in 2015, followed by a new season in January 2016. :annoyed2: