Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 25th, 2024, 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: HBO Game of Thrones
PostPosted: June 8th, 2011, 9:22 am 
Elf
Elf

@Caunion- I thought the same, I swear everybody in it has been in some historical/fantasy tv or film before- watching it is sometimes like a weird crossover! Though it also seems to be making the careers of some of the younger actors too :)

I really don't like Dany- in part I think it's the actress, because I enjoyed her scenes in the book. Emilia Clarke just looks so small and weak, and I don't really buy that she's got more confidence and is really 'finding' herself. I find it really hard to believe atm that Dany would ever manage to take the iron throne.... Not that I'd be able to guess who will! Apparently Tamzin Merchant (Catharine Howard in the Tudors) was initially Dany, and to me she would have made a much stronger and convincing character.

& Phoenix- as a Robb fan, have you heard Richard Madden has a Sitcom starting on C4 soon?

PostPosted: June 9th, 2011, 11:34 am 
Agent of Chaos
Agent of Chaos

:P Caunion. Yes..Jaime is very shiny but Robb is just so grrrrr and manly and I would have to be prised off him with a crowbar if I got anywhere near him.
and agreed wholeheartedly about Dany/Drogo. If they showed some kind of development there then I may have been able to cast aside my own personal distaste for the situation. But seeing as they haven't and as an audience we're supposed to just go along with them being a happy, loving and romantic couple. I think I want to hurl every time she calls him her "my sun and stars". I get him being smitten...but her smitten? Just not feeling it. Maybe my mind will change once I read the book.

I to believe that Tyrion's affection if you can call it that for Bran and Jon is legitimate. He sees them as kindred spirits in a sense because they are all damaged or in Jon's case an outcast. He also doesn't appear to be a particularly dishonest man, quite the contrary I feel. He's very outspoken and very upfront about how he feels about things. So I don't feel like he has any real reason to lie about this.

The Dothraki in charge of the seven kingdoms? I shudder at the very thought of it lol

@Lembas. I'll be watching with bells on.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2011, 8:42 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Oh, I kind of cringe whenever they refer to each other in such lovely tones.

Btw has anyone mentioned just how awesome the opening credits are? I really love the music, how it begins with the cellos and the drums. And then the violins kick in. Also if you look carefully at the parts where they have the sun, you can see some of the history. The first one has the dragon burning a city and going made. The next shows a direwolf, a lion, and a stag fighting the dragon. And finally you see the stag with a crown with the wolf and lion standing to. And don't get me started on the clockwork cities.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 11th, 2011, 9:04 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Ahh, the opening credits are sooo brilliant and beautiful! I just love watching them. Most shows I get kinda bored with them after a little while, but with GoT I could watch them forever, there's always something new to discover! :D

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 12th, 2011, 2:24 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I agree, the opening credits are the most brilliant ones I've ever seen. I know I sound like a total fangirl saying that, but it's true! Like Ana, I usually get bored with the credits to tv shows and start skipping them or zoning out until the episode starts, but for GoT I grin the whole way through and almost start humming along and peering at all the crazy clockwork details. And that cello is just the definition of epic. I love how growling and rich it is! :-D For some reason I also really like that the credits are right at the beginning of each episode instead of a few minutes in like a lot of other shows do. I'm trying to figure out why that is and am failing rather miserably.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 12th, 2011, 2:32 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

It's just an HBO thing. Six Feet Under did the exact same thing.

Or maybe it's premium cable television studios because Showtime's Dexter also had the same thing. Hmm.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 12th, 2011, 2:43 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

The HBO white noise thingy has me humming the SatC soundtrack :teehee:

@Arwen: I think maybe it's because other shows often either have a "previously on (insert show here)" or a bit of a teaser as to what the episode is about, at the beginning, while GoT doesn't do that and so it makes more sense to have the credits right at the beginning. Also the episodes always have a really nice flow and breaking that up by putting the credits in a bit later would ruin the feeling just a bit, I think.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 12th, 2011, 4:04 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Raivynn Phoenix wrote:
and agreed wholeheartedly about Dany/Drogo. If they showed some kind of development there then I may have been able to cast aside my own personal distaste for the situation. But seeing as they haven't and as an audience we're supposed to just go along with them being a happy, loving and romantic couple. I think I want to hurl every time she calls him her "my sun and stars". I get him being smitten...but her smitten? Just not feeling it. Maybe my mind will change once I read the book.

I can see where you are coming from, but I actually like their relationship nonetheless. It's refreshingly different. :)

Last edited by Idril Tinúviel on August 16th, 2011, 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 12th, 2011, 10:02 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

SPOILERS

I cannot beilieve they killed off Ned!!! My gosh, this week's eposide was intense! I literally just finshed watching and I'm shaking. :blink:

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 12th, 2011, 10:13 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU DID NOT WARN ABOUT SPOILERS!

Great, can't wait to watch this tomorrow... :grr:

EDIT: Okay, sorry, I've calmed down a bit now. Didn't mean to shout. I just think it's really important to post spoiler warnings when the episode is brand new, seeing as how not everyone live in the same country and some of us have to wait a little longer to watch the episodes.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 13th, 2011, 1:13 am 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Well, that was emotional.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 13th, 2011, 2:19 am 
Administrator
Administrator

(I put in the SPOILERS tag to golden's original post.)

And for my own SPOILERS...

Wow. That WAS intense. I know Frosty kept bringing up the fact that it IS Sean Bean, who tends to be goner-dude in most roles, but he seemed so central to the plot, such a pivotal character, that I really didn't expect him to get axed (unless this was all a dramatic setup and he's really not dead...? Knowing George R.R. Martin's reputation, though, I'm pretty sure he's quite dead). Quite the shocker. Although in the GoT world of corruption and power-grubbing, I suppose someone like Ned really couldn't last long at all. Still! And the fact that the girls had to be there to see it :( I wonder how it will affect Sansa's insipid love for Joffrey...and Cersei's power, since she was thoroughly undermined.

Sunday is pretty much my favorite day of the week :-P

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 13th, 2011, 7:09 am 
Balrog
Balrog

Thanks Arwen :) I promise to (try and) not shout again :teehee:

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 13th, 2011, 7:55 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

***Spoilers From Here On Out***
Oh my god :surprise:! I can't believe Ned was killed off :-o! And in front of his daughters, no less ={! Killing off Robert I kind of understood, because he wasn't quite such a pivotal, leading character, but Ned was D=! Just, wow :confused2:! I'm still reeling from it, even as I'm writing this. And judging from the teaser for next week, it looks as if we'll be losing Drogo, as well (that's what my mom thought when we saw the snippet of Daenerys setting fire to that pile of branches, anyway) =/!
What is clear from the above, though, is that at least this story (possibly the rest of the series, as well) is more about the women and children (those who are still that age, the ones who are adults, and in the case of Daenerys and Drogo's child, the ones who are yet to be born) caught in the middle of this "game of thrones" than the male patriarchs of the families/clans competing in it. A rather interesting focus, actually 8) :yes:.

Arwen the webmaster-
Quote:
I wonder how it will affect Sansa's insipid love for Joffrey...and Cersei's power, since she was thoroughly undermined.
Going by the teaser, I'm thinking she at least struggles with it, if not outright abandons it. After the way that little blonde fiend :grr: betrayed her trust, the latter would be the most sensible reaction to have, but she hasn't done either the right or sensible thing thus far, so I'm not getting my hopes up :confused:. She might surprise me, though. We'll see :[.
Regarding Cersei. Yes. I admit I had the sneaking suspicion that Cersei & Joffrey would go back on their promise and have Ned killed anyway, but I thought both of them would decide that, with Cersei being the one whose idea it mostly was. Given the way she reacted after Joffrey made his pronouncement, and the fact that at, I presume the beginning of next week's episode, she faints dead away, it looks as if it was all Joffrey's idea. It seems the little blonde prince is more evil than we thought, and takes after his father, rather than his mother :annoyed2:.

Now to get to the somewhat happier, less upsetting parts :happy:. First, how awesome was it that the Lord Commander gave Jon his brother's sword :-D? It might turn out to not be such a good thing, as said individual dishonored his family, but for now, I personally think it was pretty darn cool 8)! Second, the scene of Tyrion, Bronn, and the foreign girl playing Tyrion's drinking game was very funny, interesting, and touching. I liked it a lot :]. Third, I know the Daenerys/Drogo relationship makes a number of you cringe to some degree or another, and I completely understand why, even agree somewhat, but the intensity with which Daenerys pleaded to the "witch" to save Drogo got to me a little 8(. Finally, I loved Robb's speech to his men after the battle. It wasn't a gung-ho "We will be victorious!" one, which if done right, is always rousing, but it was a very good one nonetheless :yes:.

PostPosted: June 13th, 2011, 8:17 am 
Balrog
Balrog

SPOILERS AHOY

Wow. Just... wow. That was intense. But possibly also one of the best episodes yet. I'm very pleased we got to see Arya again, cause I worried about her when we didn't see her after she ran away last episode.
I hope Sansa realizes her "love" is crazy and power-mad after this.
Also, even though it is very unlikely, what with it being Sean Bean, who seems to love dying, I hope he didn't.

EDIT: One more thing. What is with Dany and that baby? I mean, she hasn't looked pregnant even for a second, and now that she finally does, it's just a tiny bump but THE BABY IS COMING?

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 13th, 2011, 3:54 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

SPOILERS:

While I knew Ned wasn't long for the run with us, I wasn't quite sure how it would come about. Boy was I shocked how they paraded him down the square. Not only that but the fact that both his daughters were present. I'm so glad Yoren managed to find Arya in time but really. I know she wasn't going to last long but....seeing her stab Needle into Joffrey's chest is so so so so nice. Ugh, I need this gif again.

Okay, meanwhile...yeah that was really emotional. Notice how even Cersei was like "The hell you doing, you stupid ponce? Take that back now!" But then again, it is her wonderful and fabulous parenting skills that got him like this. So really, woman, it's all your damn fault.

Btw I went to see who played Joffrey and if he had been anything else I've seen and guess what this is one of his first roles.

That's right. The little kid from Batman Begins.

One thing that disappointed me was the fact that you didn't see any of the battles. Mind you, I do doubt the show had the budget for it but I wish we could have seen it. Maybe they felt the battle scenes would take too long or would have been inappropriate considering what happens...

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next