Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 25th, 2024, 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: HBO Game of Thrones
PostPosted: June 13th, 2011, 4:05 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Heheh, I actually remember seeing that Joffrey had been in Batman when I went through a look-up-all-the-GoT-actors-on-IMDb binge a while back :-D Yeah, bit creepy.

You know, I was okay with the main battle not being shown. I lol'd at the fact that Tyrion being knocked out for the duration of the battle was how the Battle of Five Armies in The Hobbit is supposed to happen with Bilbo (which I'm sure they'll change, but that's a discussion for another board), but I didn't feel like I missed anything by not seeing the real battle. I knew who'd won, how many people had died, got a taste of the violence with the very end, and...that was enough. Not that I have a problem with bloody battles, but I just didn't feel like showing the battle would have added a lot. But you're probably right, they just didn't have the budget!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 13th, 2011, 4:45 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I actually think not showing it was a bit of a clever move. I mean, yeah it would've been great to see a real battle, but it would've taken away from what happened after. Also, I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot of fighting from now on, and by not showing it they're sort of building up to the later parts of the war.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 13th, 2011, 5:39 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

I suppose I can see things from your point of view. Bu I do want to get my masculine bloodlust sated! Just kidding.

I'm honestly impressed by the production value this show has, considering its budget. Not only are they casting some pretty big name actors (Sean Bean among others), but they are filming at location and in real castles as opposed to green screen, the special effects are fantastic, both the animal actors and child actors are impressive, the props and costumes and sets are just amazing, and people actually eat and drink. Yes that's an unusual one, but a lot of times, actors don't eat often in case they have to do multiple takes. This show doesn't bother with that. In fact, let's compare this show to a fantasy film with a significantly higher budget. Game of Thrones estimated a budget of about 50-60 million dollars for the first season and for ten episodes, each about an hour long so for ten hours. Eragon on the other hand had a budget of 100 million dollars and was only 104 minutes. So what does Eragon have? ....It's got Jeremy Irons!

Yeahh.....no contest. Game of Thrones wins.

ALSO! I demand Emmys for the following people:

Peter Dinklage, Maise Williams, Sean Bean, and Jack Gleeson.

If none of these people win an award, I will take over every major television studio across the nation and subject one executive from each station through the Ludovco Technique every day until they received their award.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 13th, 2011, 6:13 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Go watch a couple episodes of Spartacus: Blood and Sand and you'll be fine :-P

Oh Eragon...let's not even go there. Such an insult to the fantasy movie (okay, and to a lesser degree literary) genre! But I agree that the production value (...of GoT, not Eragon!) is phenomenal. It really feels like a 10-hour movie split into chapters, not a "And this week, on Game of Thrones!" choppy tv show. And it feels so REAL - nothing ever catches my eye/ear as "Yikes, that's an anachronism" or "That character would never say that."

Despite it being in the fantasy genre, I liked the realism aspect to it - that this could just be a parallel universe - and so I'm not sure how I feel about the elements that feel more supernatural, like the Dothraki witch and the White Walkers. Usually I'm all for magic, magic, and more magic, but in this case...hmm. I'll have to wait and see how they handle it.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 13th, 2011, 9:05 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Anameleth wrote:
I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU DID NOT WARN ABOUT SPOILERS!

Great, can't wait to watch this tomorrow... :grr:

EDIT: Okay, sorry, I've calmed down a bit now. Didn't mean to shout. I just think it's really important to post spoiler warnings when the episode is brand new, seeing as how not everyone live in the same country and some of us have to wait a little longer to watch the episodes.

:hide: :hide: :hide:

Gahhhhhhhh, I'm sorrrrrrrryyyyy! :-( I was just so excited, I didn't even think.... :guilty: :guilty: *sits in a dark corner as punishment*

O, and also, I suppose Dany had a lot of clothes to cover up the steadily growing bump. :no: Or it was just difficult for the actor to pull something off like that...Something around those lines. there's always an excuse. :teehee:

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 14th, 2011, 12:25 pm 
Agent of Chaos
Agent of Chaos

**SPOILER ALERT**

I just....can't....even :swoon:

Truly hard to watch. The aftermath of what happened to Ned is gonna be heartwrenching. I really can't say anymore on the subject as it's just so upsetting.

The GOOD things of this weeks episode.

- Bronn. BRONN BRONN BRONN omg how i love his snarky, not giving a jot attitude. His broship with Tyrion is just...words cannot express how I love them together. Jerome and Peter play off one another so well.

- Tyrion's confession. Sad story but Peter....you blow me away every time you're on screen.

- Robb's speech and Robb in general. Not a lot of screentime but what he had...he OWNED. And capturing Jaime? Badass to the max.

- FILCH I mean Frey lulz creepy to the max but in an odd way super hilarious.

- Maisie Williams. Good Gods this girl is truly amazing. They lucked out with all the child actors but Maisie imo stands head and shoulders above them all. Ima adopt you Arya <3

- Jon recieving Jorah's old sword. Really cool scene and Jeor is awesome. They have an interesting relationship that I hope develops more.

- Speaking of Mormont...Jorah in his armour and kicking ass...RAWR

I have no idea how Im going to fill the void this show will leave in me after the credits roll in the finale. I love this show beyond words....I think I might need counselling

PostPosted: June 14th, 2011, 3:51 pm 

So I've been watching this thread for a while and even though I haven't had the time to watch any episodes, I did listen the intro of the series. (Because I'm a soundtrack freak :P ) And to be honest, I haven't been able to listen anything else since then. It's so beautiful! So I was wondering if any of you know if the rest of the soundtrack is already available? :)

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

PostPosted: June 14th, 2011, 4:41 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I tried to find it on Spotify, but I couldn't actually find any of it. I was over the moon when I found the intro on tumblr so I could put it on my blog :P I'm hoping it'll be available soon though, cause it is AMAZING :D

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 14th, 2011, 4:49 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

I agree. Maise Williams is amazing but I think Jack Gleeson definitely needs his props. That moment where he orders the execution you can see the wheels turning in his head in that brief second where he thinks about it. That was truly amazing. And terrifying.

Oh god...I love Bronn and his crazy faces. He and Viseryns should have a crazy face contest.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 14th, 2011, 5:07 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

All the child actors in GoT are brilliant. I mean, pretty much everyone loves Arya, thinks Sansa is a spoiled brat and downright loathes Joffrey, which is just a testimony to how well they play their characters.
Overall I think, even though people have been saying that this series is something like a dumping ground for British actors out of work, that the entire cast is really great. They're believable, and one doesn't think about them acting, they are their characters. I think one of the only times I personally have been bothered, or disturbed (for lack of a better word, also not in a "ew gross" way but in a "you're disturbing me" way), by the acting, was Khal Drogo's "death speech". I was very conscious of the fact that he was an actor playing a scene, and that bothered me.

EDIT: I just wanted to show you this one thing I ended up posting on tumblr, because people are being so *beep* about Sansa's actions in the last few episodes :annoyed2:

Quote:
Okay, usually I wouldn't post this, but GoT fans are getting on my nerves.

Seriously. I don’t like Sansa any more than the next person, but hating on her after 1x09 is just stupid. She did what she thought was right, she did what she could to protect her family, and if we’re being honest here, she did the ONLY thing that was ever likely to keep her and Ned safe. So her plan didn’t exactly work out, but that’s not her fault!

So while she’s still a spoiled, narrow-minded brat, I think it’s time you guys cut the poor girl some slack.

EDIT2: I'm on a roll tonight :teehee:
Some of you may have seen this already. But if you haven't, it's super funny. If you haven't watched episode 9 yet; SPOILERS AHOY

Someone on tumblr suggested making a t-shirt with that quote on. I would totally buy it :D

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 18th, 2011, 6:17 am 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

"They killed my brother (obviously not it but I don't belong in that particular subculture) Ned!"

Oh boy....

Btw this kinda bothers me but Kit Harington reminds me so much of Orlando Bloom. And not in a perfectly good way. Is it really just me or does Jon Snow have a rather frozen face? He doesn't seem to react to anything that's going on around him with the exception of a little snarl and upturned lip every once in a while. He's not a bad actor but when you're surrounded by people who have been doing this a little longer than you and a little better than you, especially if they're children, you kinda stand out. Plus he and Orlando Bloom rather sound alike.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 19th, 2011, 11:33 am 
Balrog
Balrog

^I don't think he's that frozen. He wears the same expression a lot, but it's because he's wary of whatever anyone says, I think. He expects everyone to say something insulting. You can see he changes when he talks to someone he's comfortable around, like Arya or Samwell.

Just a little reminder as people watch tonight's episode and start posting: DON'T FORGET SPOILER WARNINGS! I won't get to see it until tomorrow afternoon, and I'd rather like not knowing what happens this time around ;)

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 19th, 2011, 1:53 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Good reminder, Ana :) I'm really excited for this next episode...curious to see how they'll handle The Aftermath. But if anything crazy happens, I'll put a nice big spoiler tag to contain my OH MY GOD I CAN'T BELIEVE ----------- shrieking.

It's Sunday, Sunday, Game of Thrones on Sunday....

(couldn't resist :teehee: )

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 20th, 2011, 1:27 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Oh my god, I knew they wouldn't kill Ned Stark. Just like Jesus. He rose in three days, took Ice, and gave that little Joffrey kid what he deserves!

Just kidding. SPOILERS!

I just loved the Starks' reaction to Ned's death. It was so visceral and heart-breaking, especially Robb beating the tree with his sword. And Catelyn confronting Jaime. Okay yeah, I'll admit. He acted quite the jackass in that scene.
Robb's scene as they called him the King of the North was chilling.
Awww poor Sansa. And poor Arya. Although I thought it was awesome seeing Gendry sticking up for Arya or 'Arry'. I thought the moment with the Hound looking out for Sansa was touching.
Dany's final scene was just awesome with the dragons being hatched. I love how the last scene you hear is the dragons hissing. Amazing.

One thing I didn't quite get was Pycelle's scene with that redhead prostitute. What was up with that? Littlefinger's and Varys' last scene was equally confusing I thought. But whatever.

Oh and I found this. This is just hilarious!!
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/20 ... ering.html

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 20th, 2011, 4:19 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

SPOILERS AHOY

I LOVED THIS EPISODE. It was perfect.
About Pycelle's scene: I'm not sure what the deal was when he was talking to Ros, but he obviously has everyone fooled about how he's a slow and confused old man.
As for Littlefinger and the Spider, my first thought was that they'll be conspiring together against Joffrey and the Lannisters.
Both of those scenes were good cliffhangers for next season though.
I *loved* Sansa in this episode. Everyone who's been hating on her got served. It would seem she's got some wits after all.
And when all the Northerners went from thinking Robb was incompetent to pledging their allegiance to him as King of the North. *chills* Ahh, beautiful :)
Catelyn and Jaime's scene just goes to show that my opinion's been right all along - Jaime's a mean *beep* (I don't think he's very good-looking either, but that's a completely different discussion).
Arya was badass though. I'm looking forward to seeing how she does on the road to the Wall.

OH WHY MUST NEXT SEASON BE A YEAR AWAY :'-(

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2011, 12:16 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Anameleth wrote:
OH WHY MUST NEXT SEASON BE A YEAR AWAY :'-(

^
Agreed. :)

Honestly though, If i don't start reading the books, I don't think I'll care anymore by next year. :P

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next