Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: HBO Game of Thrones
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2011, 9:34 am 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Yeahhh I kinda noticed that but I think I struck it as him being just kind of anxious around his dad. Honestly, who wouldn't be? He seems like a jerk, lecturing his son there, but at the same time, he's kinda badass. Most people like him would have slaves or servants to prepare the stag for him. But him? Oh, no. He guts and skins it himself. I bet he killed it himself too. I do wonder what exactly is eating him though...

In light of recent events, I feel we need to be reminded of the best moment of our lord and master. Joffrey Baratheon.

Btw, Phoenix, I wonder what you thought of the performance of your dear Jason Momoa in this episode. :P

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2011, 9:35 pm 

Sorry for the irrelevant questions, but do I need a specific web browser for Megavideo? What do I need to download?

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2011, 10:15 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

I believe you don't have to download anything special for that.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2011, 8:23 am 
Agent of Chaos
Agent of Chaos

Nope, nothing special. Just click a link and let it download. Megavideo is pretty fast and is always decent quality. It's only downfall is you only get 72 minutes free to get unlimited you need to buy membership :jedi: grrr

that vid gawd. Makes me lawl hard every single time and it never gets old. Tyrion for President of the World. How much fun would life be if he was in charge? XD

Regarding the sexalicous get in mah bed lovely Jason Momoa :P
I thought his tirade/speech at the end was intense and at times disturbing [openly talking of the rape of women much to Dany's delight....a woman who had been raped...by the man talking about raping women x___x ] but Jason's actual performance was brilliant. He really really sold his rage without being completely over the top. It was actually pretty subtle in parts but that made it all the more effective a scene.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2011, 12:42 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Well for me, because he was so low key throughout the series, this sudden outburst was all the more effective. I still think he was a little over-the-top but honestly just the passion he had in that speech chilled me. And almost, almost brought some masculinity back into me.

In regards to the raping, I think it may have been metaphorical. That or he was referring to his army and not himself specifically. I think raping the women you conquered for your wife and her unborn son seems a little...counterproductive?

"Honey! I conquered this land just for you."
"Thanks, hubby."
"I also raped all of the women there."
"........" :blink:

Tyrion as president. I think one of the campaign slogans could be "And a prostitute in every home!" but that's just me. I'll love to see him debate, that's for damn sure.

PS: There is a way to override said 72 minutes thingy. Which is really annoying because it doesn't start where you left off. You have to watch the whole damn thing again. Anyway, what you do is you wait for the video to load completely and then disconnect your Internet. I believe if you do that, you can still watch the video.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 5th, 2011, 3:25 pm 
Agent of Chaos
Agent of Chaos

Quote:
"And a prostitute in every home!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd be sold on that alone. Tyrion doing the debates would be just genius. He's so sharp and witty and even if he didn't win it would make for some quality entertainment.

Upon reflection I think perhaps when Drogo talked about the raping of there women he was perhaps caught up in the moment. Or at the very least I would like to think so. Even if he himself does not sexually assault someone else I still think it's a bit crapty to let his men do it. I just find the whole Dany/Drogo marriage distasteful. It's being portrayed as romantic and that doesn't sit well with me on a personal level.

PostPosted: June 5th, 2011, 4:27 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

^ I agree about the Dany/Drogo marriage being a little disconcerting. I know she's starting to stick up for herself a lot more and come into her own as a ruler, but she's still portrayed as being such a fragile little thing (whereas Drogo is enormous macho man) that the whole thing makes me go...ugghhh. Shudder.

Anyway, I'm excited for tonight's episode. So much intrigue to deal with from last week! I'll be curious to see where it goes :-D

Lar - I use http://watchseries.eu/serie/game_of_thrones . The ones hosted on vidxden usually work best for me.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 5th, 2011, 4:29 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

I started watching it a few weeks ago and I love it, some parts make me cringe (such as the killing of the wolves, poor doggies :() but still like it

PostPosted: June 6th, 2011, 11:07 am 
Elf
Elf

Seeing as I've finished book one, and effectively know what's gonna happen, and am only 2 episodes behind, I'm feeling it's safe to join in with this thread properly now!

I am so impressed with it as an adaptation, it's so so close to what happens in the book, its literally like what I imagined is coming to life on my laptop screen- though TBH the Loras/Renley scene surprised me a little, I must have missed that subtext, and got the impression Loras may someday sweep Sansa off her feet and "save" her from Joffrey ala Lancelot and Guinevere.... oops!

Don't know if someone's asked this before, but hey it's always fun to see: Who are your favourite characters so far and why?

PostPosted: June 6th, 2011, 11:39 am 
Agent of Chaos
Agent of Chaos

Oh my this weeks episode. So.....much....Robb :swoon:
He really cemented himself as one of my favourites this 'sode and I'll openly admit his overall manliness made me all happy in my pants. I loved absolutely everything Robb. His decisiveness in taking on the Lannisters [even Theon was likeable in this scene], his command over the surly one, his little moment with his mother ugh i think i may have fallen in love.

More Ghost! -flail- Jon being adorable and awesome.

Tyrion again has the best line of the episode...though not really one I can repeat here but I'm sure you all know the one I mean XD

I actually felt some genuine sympathy for Sansa. She's stuck in the middle of a bad situation that no matter what choice she makes something bad will happen.

Arya! I wanna adopt that girl omg

Dany actually stood up for the women who were going to be raped. Thank you! I was so worried she wasn't going to care about them. A little respect back to the last Targaryen for that. Though I'm still not sold on her and Drogo. What has he done to make her fall in love with him? I dont get it. Yes he's rather yummy and masculine but...urgh I just dont get it Maybe it's in the book so I'll hold off complete judgement until then.

@Lembas. I have the first book and Im trying so hard to not read it till the season finale. It's so tempting to just say to hell with it and give in. But I shall resist...for now.
As for favourite characters. I have so many XD
So in no particular order:

- Tyrion Lannister: For being overall awesome and funny. I love how he uses people's perceptions of him against them. Also he slapped seven bells out of Joffrey and for that I will love him eternally.
- Ned Stark: Because he's honourable and loyal. A loving husband and father. A man who will not compromise himself in the face of adversity. How can anyone not like that? Plus Sean Bean...hello
- Arya Stark: She reminds me so much of me when I was her age. I never wanted to play dress up or play with dolls or had any real desire to get married or have kids. I was content to play around. Climb trees and what not.
- Robb Stark: Okay all his hotness aside. I love Robb's unwaivering loyalty and sense of honour he's learned from his parents. He's a good man.
- Jon Snow: He's grown up in a priviledged family with a serious disadvantage but he's rose above that as best he can and now he wants to prove himself worthy of real honour.
- Viserys Targaryen -sobs- He was insane and cruel and really not very nice but I just loved watching Harry Lloyd tear up every single scene he was in and he gave you a sense of sympathy for his character. Brilliant casting and acting sold me on Viserys...and his awesome crazy faces.
- Bronn: He's fun and I'm enjoying watching the little bond he has with Tyrion. They are an entertaining pair on screen.
- Catelyn Stark: even though she's horrid to Jon I do like her a lot. She's endured so much and yet holds herself with so much dignity and grace. She is an amazing woman. Period.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2011, 12:39 pm 
Elf
Elf

I think the whole thing with Dany and Drogo is that because Drogo raises her to a position of power, she is freed from Viserys' dominance, and can stand up for herself. I think she's thankful towards Drogo for that, and grows to admire and love him, especially as he treats her better when she get's pregnant and hears the "Stallion that mounts the World" prophecy. Though I'll admit it does seem like a really fast change of opinion!

I started watching the Pilot, pre-book (I only got as far as the beheading lol!) But it didn't make much sense, so I thought I'd read the book first so I knew what was going on... though on further watching I realised I didn't really need to! lol

Oooh I love Jon, Ned and Arya too!!

I think Jon is my absolute favourite, though his storyline is not as good as the others- imo. He's so honourable, but you really feel for him. I can't help thinking he's destined for more than The Wall though :/. I hope his friendship with Tyrion is of some importance at some point, and I soooo want to know who his mother is! Plus he has a cool sword and a cooler wolf :D

Arya is brilliant- it's so good to see a girl kick ass, though it is kinda frustrating her name is the same as Arya from Eragon- who's a complete Mary Sue- still ASoiaF was written first!!

PostPosted: June 6th, 2011, 12:47 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I think what you guys need to remember is that more things happen than what we see. Dany doesn't just interact with Drogo in the few short scenes we see, there's a lot of things happening and a lot of time passing without us seeing it. So while it feels like she's fallen for him super quick, a lot of time has actually passed. Just think about the wolves - they were pups in ep. 1 and now they're already quite big! :)

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 6th, 2011, 3:13 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

You know, I never did pay attention just how hot Robb is until now (blasphemy I know) but niow...damn that guy's pretty. There is a lot of pretty people in this show. Especially guys. Anyway....focus...!

Awww poor Ned Stark, stuck in a dungeon and chained with no one to see him.
And tehaha! Syrio owns those guys with a wooden sword. I really hope he survives... He was so entertaining. I loved the exchange earlier before the stupid guy had to interrupt. "And now you are a dead girl!" Arya: >.<
Arya's face = :'-(
The Septa even kicks ass by sending Sansa away and confronting those guys in person. This just made me hate Cersei and Joffrey even more. Gorram blonde ********s
Sandor Clegnane grinning is kinda terrifying, you know?
I just despise Grand Maester Pycelle now. And Lysa.
I loved that duel with Drogo beating the crap out of that guy. So I guess Drogo did literally mean he's going to rape the women and enslave the children. To be honest, given how most historical parallels of the Dothraki operated, I'm not that surprised. I'm more surprised that Drogo actually listened to Dany and agreed to her demands. Honestly, since when did he felt any affection to her before she got preggers?
Speaking of Dany, yes raping and pillaging and enslaving are quite horrible things but she's the one who wanted them to invade Westeros and considering they don't seem to have farms or factories or mines, how did she expect the Dothraki to pay for the ships?
Jon taking out that White Walker = Awesome! I wonder what did happen to Benjen.
Bronn showing some of his snark. Love it. And I love Tyrion more and more.
I want to see Robb OWN Tywin's smug little behind for what Cersei did to the Starks.
Catelyn has gotten a little more sympathetic. Especially her fury against her insane sister and her...really creepy nephew.

Favourite characters:

Tyrion Lannister: That little imp is just absolutely hilarious and awesome. I love his whole "no one is ever going to take me serious so I'm not even going to bother being polite" attitude. And like Phoenix said, Tyrion slapping Joffrey is just awesome.
Jaime Lannister: Okay I admit more than half the reason why I like him is because he is so gorram shiny. But there's something boiling inside him that he hides in public. You see it in his conversation with his father. I want to see what more is explored in him.
Eddard Stark: Yes, he's an idiot but he's an honourable idiot. You can see the devotion he has with his family even the *beep* son, Jon. I just love how much loyalty and honour he has for the King and his family. I wonder if the Lannisters will spare him AND his daughter if he recognises Joffrey as King. I know that's evil but I really want Eddard to survive. And like Phoenix said, Sean Bean? Yes please.
Arya Stark: She's just an adorable little tomboy. And I love all of her scenes with Eddard. They're so adorable.
Petry "Littlefinger" Baelish: Okay yes, he's the guy who stabbed Ned in the back. But he looked so damn awesome while he was doing it. I just love his constant ****-eating grin and how he prances around King's Landing as if he knows something that no one else does.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 7th, 2011, 4:59 am 
Agent of Chaos
Agent of Chaos

Back to Dany/Drogo. I cannot relate to her at all. He raped her, multiple times and yet she's fallen in love? I'm sorry but I just cannot buy it, no matter how much time has passed. That's not love to me that's Stockholm Syndrome.

I'm sorry Caunion but you'll just have to stick with Jaime or Ned...or both YES both. See how generous I am? :P
-sinks claws into Robb even further-
But he really was fantastic in all his scenes and he really is bloody gorgeous [and was born and raised near where i live eep] and makes my ovaries scream with joy.

ugh yes Syrio please don't be dead. Awesome people like you should live. He is such a badass though and if he is dead, he died protecting Arya which is tragic but honourable.

Sandor grinning down at Sansa made me really fear for her. That was total rape face ><

PostPosted: June 8th, 2011, 2:14 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

First, Sunday's episode. It was excellent, as all of them have been so far :]. My favorite parts were these:
-Syrio kicking Cersei's men's butts with a freaking wooden sword =D! How awesome was that :-D!? I hope he survived his fight with the last guy, though :-( .

-This sounds bad, because someone was killed, but way to go on taking out that stable boy who was going to turn you over to Cersei, Arya :punk:!

-Jon killing (or should I say re-killing?) that guy who came back to life after presumably being dispatched by the White Walkers.

-Robb taking charge of leading the attack on Tywin's forces and sticking to it in the face of disrespect and challenges from the individuals leading the other armies under his command.

-Catelyn showing some strength for once, when condemning her crazy as a loon sister (I can't help but think, "UGHHH...!" every time I see her and her equally crazy son onscreen. The fact that she's still nursing him at whatever age he is is just not right :wary:! Ick :yuck:!) for not being willing to assist them in getting the throne away from Cersei and Joffrey.

Favorite Characters So Far
In order, they are:
-Arya, because to put it simply, she's a very strong, brave, butt-kicking, confident, defiant little girl. I love her for that 8)!

-Jon. I'm not sure exactly why I like him so much, since he hasn't been given a whole lot to do yet :/. What I will say, though, is along with Arya, he was the one character I immediately took a liking to. The others I'll be putting in this list, I had to warm up to.

-Daenerys. My view of her changed in much the same way as I think my view of Catelyn has begun to, following this week's episode. At first, I thought she was one of the weakest, flattest, most two-dimensional characters of all. But the way her strength has grown in each successive episode since she married Drogo and became Kaleesi has made me like her more and more. To be honest, if the Starks ultimately fail to seize the throne from Cersei, Joffrey and the rest of the Lannister family (save Tyrion, of course ;)), I'd be completely okay with Daenerys, Drogo, and the Dothraki wrenching it & the Seven Kingdoms from their greedy, evil hands B).

-Ned, because he's such a (sometimes foolishly) honorable man and a dedicated, loving father & husband. I strayed into the territory of not thinking much of him when he so passively obeyed Robert's command to kill Sansa's wolf (though with her behavior so far, I'm leaning toward the opinion that she didn't deserve to be given that pup in the first place B[) in place of Arya's. But his refusal to obey when Robert ordered him to kill Daenerys, and his successive decision to surrender his position as Hand of The King when Robert still insisted that he do so placed me firmly back into the "I like him" camp. With the exception of his refusal to take the advice of Robet's younger brother & Baelish and make the first move to take control of the throne, his behavior since then hasn't altered my opinion in the least :].

-Tyrion. The only reason he's at the bottom of the list is as much as I like his "I don't give a **** what you think of me and the kind of person I am" attitude, I'm still not sure how trustworthy he is when it comes to his behavior toward the Starks. He seems very interested in the well being of Bran and Jon, it's true, but that could just be a trick, and he'll eventually turn on one (or both) of them the same way Baelish turned on Ned. Basically, I have a cautious liking for him.

PostPosted: June 8th, 2011, 3:36 am 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

With Dany/Drogo, my main objection, and thus turn-off, is that you see absolutely no affection building up. At least with Ned and Catelyn, it's established that they are married and had several pretty children but those two...there isn't any. Dany falling in love with Drogo....I can't see that. I haven't seen anything that suggested they were in love in episode two and episode three, she was having baby. What?

Oh come, Phoenix. Jaime is just so...shiny!

Syrio...I like to think he picked up a sword from the other guys and proceeded to slaughter everyone.

Tyion's affection to both Bran and Jon comes mainly from the fact that they're a cripple and a *beep*, respectively. As a dwarf, he's definitely empathetic to their positions. I believe he genuinely cares for them while Littlefinger just wanted Catelyn and wanted Ned out of the way.

Btw is it just me or does Game of Thrones seem like a bailout for all the out-of-work British actors?

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next