Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 24th, 2024, 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 127 Hours
PostPosted: February 28th, 2011, 7:15 pm 

So, this movie has come into the cinemas here quite recently, but also because it was nominated for six Oscars, I'm surprised that no one has made a thread about this movie. I can safely say that this is the most amazing, intense, beautiful, terrifying, and inspiring movie I've seen in a very long time! I went to see it Saturday with my boyfriend, but somehow I'm still overwhelmed by its power.

I've seen many movies that contained a plot that characters were stuck in a glacier cravasse/on an island/ in the jungle, but none were so intense as this movie. It's a story of despair and hope, one of courage and foolishness, but most of all, one of perserverance. It also inspired me, that people must not give up easily, and that if there's a will, there always is a way. And I somehow cannot stop contemplating about what I would have done, if something like that happened to me. It makes you think about your own strength and power and whether you have the perseverance to endure what that man endured and if you would have the will to live.

The way the director shot this movie, some new kind of camera that made very long shots and close-ups, was partly the reason why it was so intense and real to me. Also James Franco's acting was outstanding. It was a very hard task to convey the depths of all the emotions he went through and the state he has been in. His acting was just pure brilliance.

Especially the last few scenes were the most horrifying, yet also the most emotional. With the song of Sigur Ros playing in the background and the movie coming to its end, I couldn't help but sniffle a bit. So beautiful.

What are your opinions on the movie? Have you seen it already or do you plan on seeing it? Tell me your thoughts. :)

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

Post subject: Re: 127 Hours
PostPosted: March 20th, 2011, 9:46 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

You know, it sounded like a fascinating movie, but how gruesome is the arm-cutting-off scene? I'm usually okay with blood, but that just sounded utterly painful to watch :confused: Would you say it's the sort of movie you could sit through multiple times, or the type where it's really good but not something you can watch more than once?

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2011, 7:30 pm 

Well, I wasn't familiar with the story at all and went to the cinema without any expectations, so the arm-cutting-scene was quite unexpected. Usually I'm not really good with blood and I hate horrors, but somehow I didn't once look away in that scene. There's alot of blood, you see what he's doing, you know what he's doing and they did some nice tricks with the music in that scene which makes it more realistic. But I didn't think it was gruesome, I somehow thought it was interesting and unbelievable how someone can be driven to do such a thing, without hesitation. All I can say is that I thought it was a very intense scene, and it was very well played. Perhaps I must add that my boyfriend had his eyes closed all the time and literally squeezed my hand so hard that it hurt. :P

Whether it's a good movie to watch again is really a personal question. I, for one, absolutely would see it again, and I did see it twice already. I did have those doubts as well before seeing it (whether or not it would be a boring movie about a guy stuck in a canyon) but somehow the story intrigues me. It's about survival, about courage and stupidity, and the realisation of that stupidity, and all those emotions are so present and very well played. I think it's worth watching again. :)

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2011, 9:27 pm 
Vala
Vala

I kinda sorta watched this movie. And when I say, that, I mean that the person two rows ahead of me was watching it, and I could see the screen clearly. There was no sound, but it was still very distracting. I've wanted to watch it, but my mind goes keeps thinking "I wanna watch it, but maybe not. It has James Franco in it, but he hacks his arm off with a pocket knife..."

I will say though, that even without the sound it was an interesting movie that kept my attention. The scene of him cutting off his own arm was not easy to watch. I'm pretty good with gore, unless it self mutilation. I don't know why I'm disturbed by a man cutting off his arm to survive but can watch surgeons perform surgery with easy. Its weird...

It was a good movie though, and I was really interested in it because my zoology professor told us the story of the guy this movie was based off of. I'm not sure if I would watch it again, or choose it over another movie, but when I was watching it I enjoyed it.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2013, 6:12 pm 
Vala
Vala

I absolutely love this movie, still. It's very dramatic, and it's kind of horrifying, although not in a "typical" kind of way. I've also read the book by Aron Ralston, and I have to admit that they didn't change anything, really. Like, they told his story as it were, without adding things to make it a "better" movie. I thought Franco deserved the Oscar for this role.

Rest in peace Carrie Fisher, the legend we didn't deserve.