Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 26th, 2024, 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The worst Actors'Actresses of all time
PostPosted: May 1st, 2013, 10:01 am 
Vala
Vala

Alatáriël Telemnar wrote:
Bellatrix wrote:

Kristen Stewart is just pain; she has one reaction which is disgust written all over her face.

No she really hasn't. :erm:

I don't like her acting :( .

Then say you don't like her acting, saying that she only has one facial expression isn't accurate. :erm:

Rest in peace Carrie Fisher, the legend we didn't deserve.

PostPosted: May 1st, 2013, 10:09 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Bellatrix wrote:
Alatáriël Telemnar wrote:
Bellatrix wrote:

Kristen Stewart is just pain; she has one reaction which is disgust written all over her face.

No she really hasn't. :erm:

I don't like her acting :( .

Then say you don't like her acting, saying that she only has one facial expression isn't accurate. :erm:

It might be mixed feelings; I love Snow White and the Huntsman ;) , though .

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 1st, 2013, 10:49 am 
Vala
Vala

I'm still not sure how she only has one facial expression, here, I'll show you she doesn't:
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Now I don't care if people think she's not a great actress or don't like her in whatever roles. But it gets on my nerves when it's said that she always looks the same, she doesn't know how to smile, and so on and so forth. Bleh.

PostPosted: May 1st, 2013, 10:56 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I am so sorry that I upset you sweetie. Please accept my apologize :) .

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 1st, 2013, 12:47 pm 
Vala
Vala

I'm not upset, I'm making a point. I think it's perfectly fine if people don't like Kristen in all or any of her movies. But I think it's ridiculous when people act as if she a) can't smile and b) never has more than one facial expression at all times. That has nothing to do with her acting abilities either.

And if someone doesn't like her as an actress then that doesn't matter to me. But it should at least make some sort of sense, because it wouldn't make sense for me to say "I don't like Orlando Bloom as Legolas because Orlando Bloom never smiles". Which he obviously does.

PostPosted: May 1st, 2013, 12:52 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Bellatrix wrote:
I'm not upset, I'm making a point. I think it's perfectly fine if people don't like Kristen in all or any of her movies. But I think it's ridiculous when people act as if she a) can't smile and b) never has more than one facial expression at all times. That has nothing to do with her acting abilities either.

And if someone doesn't like her as an actress then that doesn't matter to me. But it should at least make some sort of sense, because it wouldn't make sense for me to say "I don't like Orlando Bloom as Legolas because Orlando Bloom never smiles". Which he obviously does.

I get it sweet Bella :) .

I love Orlando Bloom acting but only is the historical styled films :) .

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 1st, 2013, 4:09 pm 
Ent
Ent

That's both sad and kind of great that someone felt the need to make that gif.

I'm really indifferent about Kristen, I don't generally openly dislike actors (if I don't like 'em, I just don't watch their projects). I think she attracts far more hatred than she seems to warrant, but I also can see why people have the opinions they do about her. Anyway, she's still young and has got plenty more years of image-making and potential-proving to come.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 7th, 2013, 11:01 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

The thing is with acting, especially in films, it's difficult to sort good from bad. There are good actors and actresses who are given really awful material and try their best but there is only so much they can do. For example, Natalie Portman was in the three Star Wars prequels and honestly she's trying her best. She's an Academy Award winning actress so no one can deny her talent. But there is only so much you can do with George Lucas's writing. And don't forget with the entertainment industry as it is, you can hardly blame actors and actresses from taking roles simply because there's a huge paycheck at the end of it. Jeremy Irons was in the dreadful Dungeons and Dragons movie because he needed the movie and decided to over-act his way through it. Can you blame Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart for accepting the roles as Edward and Bella, knowing that there were probably millions for them? If you watch/read interviews with them, they both know they're in bad movies playing horribly-written characters, and unlike Jeremy Irons, decided to not care and act like frozen statues through it. Some actors like Nicolas Cage or Christopher Walken like going in front of the camera and having a blast of themselves. They're having fun; I can see that so I have fun with them.

Also, like many things in art, what works for some people might not necessarily work on other people. So it's important to remember that.

Now, that being said, there are people who are incredibly incredibly bad and should honestly consider a career change.

Kit Harrington.
*sidesteps thrown vegetables and fruits* I'm sorry. In a series where the child actors exceed any and every expectations, there is no excuse for Kit Harrington to act as dully as he does in Game of Thrones. I get that he had a "difficult childhood"...no more than anyone else in the show. They manage to emote well enough. He has the same reaction for: leaving his family behind, threatening a bully off Samwell, fighting a Wight, being surrounded by Wildings, and seeing a naked Rose Lesile. I was about to add Emilia Clarke as well since she seems to only go from complete dullness to self-righteous childish pouting fury but the episode "Kissed By Fire" showed she was capable of some subtlety.

Channing Tatum.
You can replace him with a cardboard cutout of himself and no one in the audience would be the wiser. Granted, I've only seen one movie with him but he just seemed so lifeless on screen.

Sam Worthington.
Similar to Channing Tatum as they both tend to get roped into huge budget films and have lots of swooning fangirls over their tree trunk arms. And like Channing Tatum, he has no screen presence whatsoever. I don't remember him a lot in Terminator Salvation and I certainly remember how grating his lifeless narration was in Avatar and how annoying I found him.

Hayden Christensen.
Funny how I defend Natalie Portman but then wheel him for the whipping post. Yes, the Star Wars prequels were written badly so I won't judge him on that performance. I will judge him, however, on his performance in Jumper. Okay, granted, that was a nothing film as well but Jamie Bell and Samuel L. Jackson managed to hold their weight. Why couldn't Hayden? Oh right, because his acting ability is about as existent as the dinosaurs.

Megan Fox.
Some people often mistake beauty for talent. I really hope she will be the argument against that belief along with Channing Tatum and others.

Of course, there are some actors and actresses that I simply just don't like. It's a personal thing and I honestly couldn't tell you why except I just don't. And there's a lot of those.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 8th, 2013, 12:55 am 
Elf
Elf

Oh yes, I agree with Kit. I try to not be very biased about his acting in my favorite show but hell, he ruins Jon Snow for me. I mean, it's not like he is THAT bad. Simply he doesn't fit my expectations. He is also very...I don't know the word...blank?

Elrond banner by Erin.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2013, 3:10 am 
Ent
Ent

Caunion cyn Britannia wrote:
Kit Harrington.
*sidesteps thrown vegetables and fruits* I'm sorry. In a series where the child actors exceed any and every expectations, there is no excuse for Kit Harrington to act as dully as he does in Game of Thrones. I get that he had a "difficult childhood"...no more than anyone else in the show. They manage to emote well enough. He has the same reaction for: leaving his family behind, threatening a bully off Samwell, fighting a Wight, being surrounded by Wildings, and seeing a naked Rose Lesile. I was about to add Emilia Clarke as well since she seems to only go from complete dullness to self-righteous childish pouting fury but the episode "Kissed By Fire" showed she was capable of some subtlety.

Channing Tatum.
You can replace him with a cardboard cutout of himself and no one in the audience would be the wiser. Granted, I've only seen one movie with him but he just seemed so lifeless on screen.

I agree about Kit. He's never struck me as giving a deep portrayal of the character, and I haven't even read the books (yet). He's certainly pretty and looks-wise the casting was done to a tee, since he, Bran, and Arya all look remarkably similar. But at the same time, he also has a bit of a contemporary look to him. Anyway, I really wish he'd step up his acting if he has the capacity to. And I truly want to believe he can, because GoT has one of the most solid casts I've ever seen.
He always either has that slightly befuddled or angsty look.

As for Channing Tatum, I won't pretend he has great acting talent. But I personally have always been drawn to at least find him likable, whether as a person or through his characters, so I do think he is charismatic. And I think he knows his limits and has been wise enough to not really venture beyond what he's capable of.

I could talk for hours about the actors I like but somehow I always find it hard to think of actors I don't like off the top of my head...I'm not quick to write off actors for blandness based on one project I see of theirs because I don't want to jump the gun in forming opinions. But, just because I recently had a conversation about this, I don't think Tobey Maguire was a very good Spiderman on the acting front. As a superhero, underneath the mask, he fulfilled the role, but as Peter Parker, naaah.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 8th, 2013, 6:09 am 

I'm going to put out a general reminder to everyone to keep the discussion civil here--yes, this thread is bound to bring up disagreements, but let's try to discuss them politely rather than being insulting, okay? ;)

I'm also going to agree about Kit Harrington. I never liked Jon in the books to begin with, at least not until the last one, but at least he had a personality, which doesn't come across at all on the show. And annoyingly, most everyone who watches loves him and they list Jon as one of their favourites, probably because he's hot. Disappointing, when there's so many more interesting characters and talented actors/actresses. :annoyed2:

PostPosted: May 8th, 2013, 6:12 am 
Elf
Elf

Jon is one of my favorite characters in the books and least favorite in the show. That tells something ^^ And I had really awesome ideas of my own to bring Jon's character onto the screan. What a pity I am not a producer of this show, Kit would not act there almost definitely ^^

Elrond banner by Erin.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2013, 6:15 am 
Vala
Vala

Kevin Bacon. He always seem very, very bland to me and I've never liked him as an actor. I don't feel like he ever gives the characters life, properly. And Megan Fox.

PostPosted: May 9th, 2013, 12:36 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Hmm... I don't really think I know of any "worst actor". But maybe it's just because I'm not that picky. I haven't seen any of Kristen Stewart's stuff, so I don't know what to think about her.
And I actually thought Hayden did a decent job in Star Wars. He was quite convincing as an arrogant, rather creepy brat. :P

The kids in Harry Potter? Yeah... they weren't that great. But um. They're kids. Little. Kids. You can't expect them to be amazing actors.

I've only seen Nicholas Cage in National Treasure... but I thought he was pretty good.

The only really lame actors I know of are some in those cheesy, low budget Christian films. (not that all of them are bad, just some) ;)

PostPosted: May 9th, 2013, 2:42 am 
Ent
Ent

Feanor wrote:
And I actually thought Hayden did a decent job in Star Wars. He was quite convincing as an arrogant, rather creepy brat. :P

Everyone hates the prequels so much I am never moved to say anything about them (except a feeble "I thought they were all right") but I agree with you. I mean, Hayden didn't really cut it for me in II, because all he was was an angsty brat, but in III he did rather well. I thought he had pretty decent chemistry with Natalie Portman, too. Although that's probably my love of Padme-Anakin pushing the envelope. I also know I'm much more in love with the idea of the character of Anakin more than any portrayal of him, because he's such an interesting figure in the Star Wars universe. But anyway, glad there's someone else who's not just about flinging poo at Hayden. ^^

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 9th, 2013, 2:51 am 
Elf
Elf

What...? I love new Star Wars more than old. Thanks to Obi-Wan, Anakin (who is better than Luke for me) and fairytale atmosphere. And less dull battles.

Hayden did a good job for me, I really felt for his character and enjoyed watching him. The same with his role in Jumper.

Elrond banner by Erin.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next