Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jurassic Park [Trilogy, plus fourth movie]
PostPosted: June 13th, 2013, 8:17 pm 
Vala
Vala

There's only a topic for the fourth movie, and I feel the trilogy deserves its own thread.

Am I the only one completely blown away by these films? The first one is obviously my favorite, but they're all magical and memorable. I remember seeing the first when I was just a little tot (seven years old, to be exact) and I've loved it ever since. My favorite characters are Alan and Ian, without a doubt. I think the entire concept is so amazing though, and it definitely worked well as a movie. I'm in the process of reading the book now, too.

And the fourth movie is going to be made, although the plot and actors aren't announced yet. It's set for release in 2014, although this might change since the last word was that it'd been postponed temporarily. I'm not hoping that the fourth will be as strong as the first, because I think that's impossible, but I have so much love for these films that I'm very much looking forward to a fourth installment anyway. The first was brilliant and the second was really good too. The third was the weakest of the three but still had a lot of strong moments.

Rest in peace Carrie Fisher, the legend we didn't deserve.

Post subject: Re: Jurassic Park [Trilogy, plus fourth movie]
PostPosted: June 18th, 2013, 3:34 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Not at all 8). I love them, too. Well, all except for the third one. That one was just terrible, IMO. The only thing I really liked was the super-smart Raptors— that part of it had a lot of potential, but the rest was just too much like a B monster movie (e.g. something on par with the monster movies the SyFy channel makes/shows) for my taste :confused:. It had too much of the "monster chases characters and kills/eats them one by one" thing, and that's pretty much what the entire plot consisted of, at least in my view. I'm hoping the fourth film will veer away from that, and be as good as at least the second film was. But we'll see.

PostPosted: June 18th, 2013, 3:41 pm 
Vala
Vala

I can understand why they went that way with the third film, because a lot of the complaints from the first two were that there wasn't enough dino action. Especially in the first one where I believe there's only like 25 minutes of actual dino scenes in the entire movie or something like that. With that kind of criticism they took a wrong turn and focused a bit much on the whole chase theme. I was disappointed that they de-crowned the T-rex who was always my favorite. I'm hoping the fourth will restore that order.

PostPosted: June 21st, 2013, 10:39 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Really :confuzzled:? I had no idea there had been complaints like that. Huh :[! I actually think The Lost World struck a great balance between the two things, e.g. dinosaurs running around, causing chaos, eating a human or two (or more), etc., and an actual, substantive story. In the third film, the latter element seemed to have been all but tossed aside in favor of the former one— the complete opposite of the original film, now that I think about it.

Ah yes, the de-crowning of T-Rex as the most fearsome dinosaur that ever existed. It didn't actually bother me too much, TBH. Before I saw the original film, the T-Rex was my favorite dinosaur, too :yes:. But after I saw it, and was shown the, IMO, awesomeness of the Raptors (e.g. one of them managing to open the door into the pantry/storage room Tim & Lex had hidden in)? Well, Mr. Tyrant Lizard King was deposed, and became my second most favorite dinosaur species. *Smiles and shrugs* Anyway, because of that, and the fact that the Raptors were made even more awesome in the third film, T-Rex's de-crowning didn't irk me as much as it sounds like it did you. Also, according to one of the paleontologists interviewed in a documentary I watched relatively recently, the Spinosaurus was actually bigger than the T-Rex. What the aforementioned scientist didn't say, though, was that the Spinosaurus was more fierce and dangerous than T-Rex. I believe the same individual theorized that Spinosaurus spent a lot of time in the water and ate fish. So while it surpassed T-Rex in size, it might not have done so in terms of ferocity and all around brute strength.

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2013, 12:31 am 
Vala
Vala

Yeah, that's what I know too. The Spinosaurus was bigger, but it's not believed it was vicious or a proper hunter. Then I hate the motion it makes when pulling the plane back because dinosaurs couldn't move like that. :erm:

I think the first movie is the best, hands down, I always have. I was seven the first time I saw it and the other day I finally got to see it in the cinema. It was the best experience ever.

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2013, 3:44 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

What part of the movie was that? It's been awhile since I've seen it, so I don't remember it that well.

I completely agree :yes:. My memory of it is a bit foggy, but I do remember I experienced what I can only describe as enchantment while watching that scene of Dr. Grant & Ellie just gazing in awe at the sight of that herd of Brachiosaurs, I think it was, in the first scene that took place in the actual park.

Quote:
the other day I finally got to see it in the cinema. It was the best experience ever.
Did you see it in 3-D? I'd have loved to see it that way! I personally saw the movie in a theatre when it originally came out. I think it was just my dad and I, but my mom might have been there, too. I don't recall.

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2013, 3:52 am 
Vala
Vala

It's the part at the beginning, with the plane. When it puts its front legs on it and pulls it back so it starts rolling. No dinosaurs were actually able to do that. I mean, I know that most of the dinosaurs are very inaccurate, but still. It's just one of those things that bother me. Mind, I still love the third one but it's very inferior to the previous ones.

Yeah, in 3D. I might actually go see it again on Monday since I've got a free ticket I need to use up before the 26th and there's not really any other movie I want to see in the cinema. When it came out I was 6, and wouldn't have been allowed to see it at the cinema. It was one of those movies that I've always dreamed of seeing like that, on the big screen. It was so breathtaking. When Ellie and Alan first see the brachiosaurus I started crying. xD

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2013, 4:31 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Ah, gotcha :]. And yeah, I agree. The larger dinosaurs may have been strong, but not nearly strong enough to snatch a moving plane out of the air. They probably couldn't have straightened their arms out, either, which is what's required to do something like that :eyeroll:.

You're so lucky, and I bet it was breathtaking :yes:. The closest I got to seeing/experiencing it in 3-D was when, during my one (and so far, only) visit to Universal Studios (the one in California), I went on the Jurassic Park ride. It was cool, don't get me wrong, but the only parts of it that really got a reaction from me were the Parasaurolophus bursting out of the water (odd, I know, but it honestly took me by surprise, because it was so sudden), and the two "near-misses" by the T-Rex (in the first instance, it plunges its head, mouth wide open, of course ;D, through a damaged section of metal rafters above the track; in the other one, which also serves as the big, ride-ending scare, the track, and thus, the car/raft (I don't remember what kind of vehicle the ride cars were modeled after), literally travels right into the T-Rex's path, and as it brings its head down again, its jaws are only a few feet or so above visitors' heads. It's terrifying like you wouldn't believe, but also awesome :lol:.

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2013, 5:23 am 
Vala
Vala

I wish I could go to something like that. But living in Sweden makes it a bit difficult haha. Maybe in the future, at some point. I don't know, I just love the movies so much. The first one is my favorite because of the fact that it's about so much more than just the dinosaurs, too. Like, it's establishing how and why they're there, and that was always very interesting to me. Something they didn't really need to do in the other two. I'm very curious about the fourth one.

PostPosted: July 14th, 2013, 6:10 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Last month a possible plot for the fourth movie has been released, you can read it here http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/exclusi ... ic-park-iv
What do you people think of it? Personally, I don't like it too much, I got the impression this plot was made up by a child.

The day will come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the Moon and East of the Sun.

PostPosted: July 14th, 2013, 7:16 am 
Vala
Vala

I don't know. I think it's better than having the cast "accidentally" end up on a dinosaur island again. I mean, that's happened too many times for it to be plausible anymore, and there aren't that many possibilities for them to get there. To me it's more important that there are original cast and original dinosaurs in the movie.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2013, 2:39 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

But a good plot is an important issue as well. Tamed dinosaurs, seriously? :confused2: Underwater dinosaurs? There's even no such thing... Ok, about this second one it's only a wrong terminology. But still I think they could have came up with something better, it's up to them after all.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2013, 2:45 pm 
Vala
Vala

There are water living dinosaurs though.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2013, 2:52 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

So it's a difference, like dinosaurs that used to come into the water from time to time and catch fish/other creatures living in water. But they only gave the wrong name for them (I hope), like I said.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2013, 3:08 pm 
Vala
Vala

I'm guessing they meant the reptiles that lived at the same time as dinosaurs and did in fact live entirely in the water. I don't see that as a problem, since the movies have always had their own interpretation of the dinosaurs. Raptors looked nothing like they did in the movies either, and that's not really a problem. It's a creative freedom they're allowed to take since we don't know that much about dinosaurs to be honest. We will NEVER know how they thought or lived, not as science looks today.

PostPosted: July 20th, 2013, 3:13 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Yes, surely they meant water reptiles, because dinosaurs were solely the terrestrial reptiles. I only drew attention to the incorrect name. ;]
And since they can make their own interpretations, I think there're things they shouldn't change. We don't know about dinosaurs everything, agreed, but we know a lot so the movie creators should stick to what we know, at least to make the dinosaurs look as credible as possible.