Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adult logic and kids movies.
PostPosted: July 8th, 2013, 9:49 pm 
Vala
Vala

I'm sort of interested if anyone else has encountered this logic out there.

I've got a distant friend who has an eight year old daughter. She won't allow her daughter to see certain Disney movies. Why? Because she thinks they're inappropriate. Like, her daughter had seen The Beauty and the Beast at a friend's house and then asked for it for her birthday. And the friend of a friend said it was absolutely out of the question. Why? Because that movie teaches children that if someone kidnaps you they can force you to "love" them. So Stockholm Syndrome, to be exact. I find that logic applied to the film absolutely ridiculous. I watched that movie a bunch of times as a child and all I ever learned from it was that beauty comes from within.

I really don't like when people apply adult logic to Disney/kids movies. It just doesn't work that way. Otherwise we might as well say that they shouldn't be allowed to watch The Lion King since that definitely encourages incest, since with adult logic applied we'd have to assume that Simba and Nala are most likely siblings.

Seriously? Just no.

Any thoughts?

Rest in peace Carrie Fisher, the legend we didn't deserve.

Post subject: Re: Adult logic and kids movies.
PostPosted: July 8th, 2013, 11:16 pm 
Istari
Istari

When I watch Disney/kid movies, I say "psh" to adult logic. (well, thats the G version of what i say anyway) Its a fun escape from reality and one that personally I still get excited over. Like with your examples, I am in love with Beauty and the Beast, and I agree, it teaches to find the beauty within a person, and also growth and learning as a person as well, on the Beast's side. Plus the songs are awesome! As for Lion King, yes, with the way that lion prides are structured in the real world Simba and Nala would have been related. But in the real world Simba would have been pushed out of the pride when he came of age. Its a Disney move, its all cute fun. Logic doesn't apply when it comes to genies and flying carpets and princesses with fairy godmothers, or my personal favorite, pirate ships and fairies. In my mind, to block a child from those things is a horrible thing to do. I see it as damaging to one's imagination. Perhaps a bit of an extreme thought, but I may be a tad passionate on subjects such as this. Jury's still out on that though :lol:

PostPosted: July 9th, 2013, 5:46 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

The only thing I'd be concerned about is whether I was balancing out my kids intake of princess stuff with some badass awesome women stuff.

PostPosted: July 9th, 2013, 9:47 am 
Vala
Vala

But Disney has princesses who are badass, though. Belle isn't weak or stupid. She sacrifices her freedom because she loves her father - that's not weak. Ariel leaves her entire family behind for love - that's not weak. Mulan (not a princess, though) uh, you know, obviously goes to war.

I think mot women in Disney movies (Pochahontas, too) has something good to teach young girls. I learned a lot from them and it definitely wasn't weakness or fragility.

PostPosted: July 9th, 2013, 11:56 pm 
Istari
Istari

Yep, Disney has done a good job of giving their princesses strong qualities. Young girls can learn something from every one of them.

PostPosted: July 10th, 2013, 8:03 am 
Vala
Vala

I agree that there's not too much to learn from like, Snow White. But hey, she was created yeaaaars ago when the importance of women being independent and taking care of themselves didn't exist.

PostPosted: July 10th, 2013, 10:13 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Disney films are there to enchant young minds and give them some escape from reality whilst gently giving messages (such as true beauty is from within) and also letting them see that not everything in life is good (the way Dumbo's mother was chained for protecting her baby, Bambi's mother being killed by Man etc).

And I agree with the whole Princess thing. Many of Disney's females, whether they be poor, of royal blood or anything else, they are all strong in their own ways. Whether it's going off to war and fighting to protect their loved ones, or making the hard choice of sacrificing their dreams for someone else. It doesn't really have to all be kickass to teach a young girl or boy, little lessons about life.

I'd rather have a female who has a purpose with her story, and a reason for either being a quiet but determined young woman, or a woman with a warrior spirit, than a hard ass who whups people just because the story wants her that way.

But adult logic for Disney films is just a big massive NO.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 10th, 2013, 11:05 pm 
Istari
Istari

All this talk of Disney films is making me want to have a Disney marathon, take a trip to the child side :lol: Granted thats not a big change for me, I still watch Disney movies now and again. But yeah, good point Bella...I guess a lesson one can learn from Snow White is to not accept apples from ugly old ladies. :yes:

PostPosted: July 10th, 2013, 11:17 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Yes, I guess the early Disney movies, the females were a little bit... squeaky clean. But I think even Snow White still has a message, that being a good and kind person brings it's own rewards, and that there is nothing wrong with wishing for a Prince if that's what you want.

I think there is definitely a movement almost where people think it's wrong for girls to dress up as a princess as it's demeaning or whatever. And I don't think that's right. Childhood seems so short these days, if for a few years being a princess is all they want to be, I don't see the problem with that (although I was never one of those girls). As long as the parents don't start making those children believe they are ACTUAL princess (i.e everything they ask for they get) a little imagining doesn't hurt anyone.

I think the only problem is these days, little girls see the Princes in Disney films and think that's what a Prince is. They need to recognize that a "Prince" these days might be someone who puts up with the fact you put your poodle before him, or someone who always makes sure that before he leaves for work, he's boiled the kettle for your morning tea. :teehee:

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 11th, 2013, 8:06 am 
Vala
Vala

Yeah, I almost find it insulting when people complain about the Disney women and act as if it's horrific for a child to want to dress up as one of them for Halloween, etc.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2013, 3:31 pm 

Johnny's Fan wrote:
I think there is definitely a movement almost where people think it's wrong for girls to dress up as a princess as it's demeaning or whatever. And I don't think that's right. Childhood seems so short these days, if for a few years being a princess is all they want to be, I don't see the problem with that (although I was never one of those girls). As long as the parents don't start making those children believe they are ACTUAL princess (i.e everything they ask for they get) a little imagining doesn't hurt anyone.

Some people are just weird.. Ofcourse, I also think girls should grow up having a positive self-image, knowing they're not dependent on some guy for their protection and/or happiness, but that does not mean we should take away the magic of feeling like a princess! When I go to a fantasy fair I still feel awesome wearing my long flowing gown, even though I still see myself as a strong, independent woman :lol:

And I actually think of most Disney princesses as strong female characters: they all fought for things they thought were good, even if that meant sacrificing your freedom (Belle), hiding your gender (Mulan), loosing your voice (Ariel), or risking war (Pocahontas). The only weird thing about them is their tendency to spontaneously start singing at dramatic moments :p

The cool thing about Disney movies is that they provide magic for children, but can still be entertaining for adults because there are a lot of clever jokes that children just don't understand :)

PostPosted: July 11th, 2013, 4:30 pm 
Vala
Vala

Oh, and just to add to the discussion, I think it's equally okay for young boys to idolize Disney princesses and to want to "be" them. I have a friend whose nephew LOVES Belle and he always dresses up as her for Halloween and such. It's adorable.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2013, 9:40 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

a child would NEVER think "its ok to be held captive and fall for the abusive guy cuz deep down he's nice" from Beauty And The Beast, and if a parent doesnt allow her child to see it because of adult logic is incredibly stupid and doesn't allow the child to be well...A CHILD. Is like saying to a baby that Santa isn't real cause they'll find out anyway, people need to let kids be kids, there's a reason why movies like Shrek have double meaning jokes, is supposed to appeal to kids and adults in different ways.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2013, 11:20 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

You can honestly find controversial issues in EVERY innocent life lesson/story/fairytale... or just anything... if you go out of your way to over-analyse EVERYTHING. But kids don't over-analyse. Kids are innocent - they only see and understand the intended message meant for them.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 12th, 2013, 10:57 am 
Vala
Vala

Haldir wrote:
You can honestly find controversial issues in EVERY innocent life lesson/story/fairytale... or just anything... if you go out of your way to over-analyse EVERYTHING. But kids don't over-analyse. Kids are innocent - they only see and understand the intended message meant for them.

Exactly. For adults it's easy to see more than there is and read between the lines. Our brains are more developed, we see things in a different light, and often are more realistic in the way we view things. Kids don't. Kids see literally what is, and don't read anything more into it. They don't watch the Lion King and assume that Simba and Nala are siblings - because that doesn't exist in their world. Adults make the mistake of putting their values and morals into movies not intended for them.