Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: TV Series Recommendations
PostPosted: August 9th, 2016, 7:23 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Hey! Have not seen you on the forum in a long time. Nice to see you postig.

Sherlock (of most any versions) are always a lot of fun to watch! :) The rest I can't say I have ever seen.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: August 10th, 2016, 6:03 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Taurquende wrote:
Pushing Daisies. If there ever was a television show that perfectly distilled my brain and put it on a screen, this is it. The dreamy aesthetic, the fairy-tale romance, the wacky "out-there" humor, and the overarching morbidity premise is just my cup of tea with my favorite chocolates on the side. Eight years later and I'm still mad it was cancelled.

Sherlock. TV doesn't get much better than this.

Downton Abbey. They didn't always hit it out of the park, but I'd still recommended to anyone because it's so beautifully filmed and wrapped up so satisfyingly that I think it's a great journey to go on.

Blackadder III & IV. Some people might prefer the early ones, but I think the last two are the best. So smart and so drily funny, and last episode goes right for the heart.

MASH & I Love Lucy. Putting these two classics together because they're still hilarious, after all these years.

Like Jax said.. good to see ya!

Love Mash! I watched that show since it first aired, and so many year on re-runs. I had to say I was absolutely shocked about a year ago when I tuned in to a rerun and watched an episode I had never seen before! I thought i had seen them all many many time, but I guess I missed this one every time it aired!

Sherlock is quite good too.

Since we're going into the classics, I have to say that Twilight Zone is still after all the years, quite entertaining. Some of the stories are a bit dated, but there is still impact.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 11th, 2016, 9:12 am 

Thanks, guys. :bye2:

You know, Hanasian, I discovered that sometimes the reruns cut out some scenes, so that they can fit in more ads I suppose. :-o If something seemed unfamiliar maybe it had been a victim of this. It's kind of gross.

PostPosted: September 29th, 2016, 4:34 pm 

Taurquende wrote:
Pushing Daisies. If there ever was a television show that perfectly distilled my brain and put it on a screen, this is it. The dreamy aesthetic, the fairy-tale romance, the wacky "out-there" humor, and the overarching morbidity premise is just my cup of tea with my favorite chocolates on the side. Eight years later and I'm still mad it was cancelled.

YES Pushing Daisies! Loved everything about this show, from the popping colours to adorable Ned the Piemaker :-D

I'd also recommend "Outlander", especially if you're into men in kilts who talk with heavy Scottish accents.

"Poldark" is a very nice costume drama as well, produced by the BBC, about the life of an unpopular member of high social circles in Cornwall. As with most BBC costume dramas the setting is beautiful and they got the atmosphere just right. Plus plenty of gorgeous shots of Cornwall!

PostPosted: September 30th, 2016, 9:26 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Taurquende wrote:
Thanks, guys. :bye2:

You know, Hanasian, I discovered that sometimes the reruns cut out some scenes, so that they can fit in more ads I suppose. :-o If something seemed unfamiliar maybe it had been a victim of this. It's kind of gross.

No, I'm pretty sure I had missed the entire episode of 'Foresight Saga'. I have since gotten the box set DVD and watched it again and reviewed the episode guide, and yeah.... it was just a freak thing that I missed this one. Toward the last seasons from 1979 to the end, I didn't watch all of the episodes when they first aired because I worked night-shift then. So many of the episodes then I watched on an encore repeat in the early morning after I got home from work. But sometimes they would preempt the encore showing with other stuff. Oh, and for a time our old TV was on the blink. So it was random over the years from then, and the randomizer never had me watching when this episode aired.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 26th, 2016, 6:10 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Lhunardaien wrote:
I'd also recommend "Outlander", especially if you're into men in kilts who talk with heavy Scottish accents.

I started watching this since it is now being carried by SBS. I haven't formed an opinion as yet, but it looks pretty good.

I also have been watching the reruns of 'Futurama' and 'How I Met Your Mother' Great entertainment!

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 26th, 2017, 1:10 am 
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

BBC's version of Sherlock is so amazing. I've been postponing watching the final episode of Season 4 though. Who knows when/if we'll get more episodes? :hide:

If any of you are into DC Comics/Batman, I highly recommend Gotham. They stray from the original comics a bit, but every ending has me screaming for the next episode. It's more of an "origin stories"-style series, with Bruce Wayne before he becomes Batman. And I basically love every single villain on the show :teehee:

PostPosted: January 26th, 2017, 5:57 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

I don't mind Gotham! I like the background story sort of thing. Been watching it when its on channel 9. They seem to pre-empt it at times though. Would be good ti watch it straight through.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 19th, 2017, 3:37 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

If anyone is a How to train your Dragon fan, I would highly recommend the series Race to the Edge on netflix. They just came out with another season, though I think it is the last one. I did think the ending was too abrupt, but still a great series all in all.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: February 24th, 2017, 7:12 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Just saw 24 ~ Legacy last night and have to say I was impressed! I think Miranda Otto is finally getting into her own with TV roles. Her run as Allison Carr in the TV series 'Homeland' was awesome, and she makes a good spy/government agent sort! Anyway, I'm liking what I'm seeing with this new show.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: October 28th, 2017, 8:08 am 
Vala
Vala

Rick and Morty all the way.

Rest in peace Carrie Fisher, the legend we didn't deserve.

PostPosted: October 28th, 2017, 3:05 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

The private (i.e. advertising-financed) TV channels here in Germany have many (to a degree ridiculously so) Anglophone series, but probably mostly ancient ones. Don’t watch the private channels, except for the rare documentary.

I hardly watch anything broadcast by our public TV channels besides news, either. Before the first advertising-financed TV channel ever went on air, one of our two public channels committed the heinous crime of broadcasting “Dallas” in the early 1980s (and “Dynasty”, here titled “Denver Clan” was not far behind). These soaps (some brain-dead moron in the US allowed them to escape from their natural early-afternoon habitat into prime-time) have to a certain degree polluted all of our TV, even series which are nominally not soaps. Finding stuff I like tends to make me have to confirm my current “siggy” of being a night-owl. And since documentaries of any kind tend to be far more time-consuming and thus expensive than cheaply-produced soaps, I have noticed that the trove of documentaries across ALL channels is a bit limited – I have watched some of the better ones a third time.

Oh. Forgot the question. Nothing here in Germany would be helpful to watchers in the Anglophone world, as exports of our stuff there is severely limited.

PostPosted: November 1st, 2017, 1:24 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Bellatrix wrote:
Rick and Morty all the way.

Yeah, been enjoying that as the episodes come to Netflix.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2017, 9:52 pm 
Vala
Vala

Also, if you're into that kind of stuff, Ghost Adventures. I love, love, love that show.

Rest in peace Carrie Fisher, the legend we didn't deserve.

PostPosted: November 4th, 2017, 7:04 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Been watching Archer since my brother introduced me to it October a year ago.
Found it on Netflix here in Oz, and have watched all but the last season so far. Love it!

And, I was a fan of House of Cards and watched the 5 seasons. Sadly, with the Kevin Spacey issues, I can no longer watch it, and Netflix has announced a delay as they work out how to remove his character from it. Personally I like Robin Wright as Claire Underwood, and think she could carry the show and make it better.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 21st, 2017, 7:33 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I seem to like shows that have a bit of mystery to them like iZombie (when it finally comes back), Riverdale and Supernatural. I didn't think I would like Riverdale at first, since it's a bit different than the comics (not that I'm any kind of book purist, and that includes comics), but now quite enjoy it (they kind of made it a little like Twin Peaks, a different mystery every season), and I've been getting more into Supernatural lately (I always watch it, but haven't actually been into it until now). I've liked similar shows in the past (most notably The X-Files, but Supernatural doesn't deal with aliens, mostly angels, demons, vampires, werewolves and the like). I like how this season is going so far, since I find Jack quite interesting, but am still a little bummed about Crowley (though at least Castiel came back, so that's at least something). :)

Profile       WWW