Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Disney/Pixar trends
PostPosted: December 1st, 2016, 11:21 pm 
Vala
Vala

I thought it might be interesting to see some discussion of trends in Disney/Pixar's films recently!

I'm especially thinking of Brave, Tangled, Frozen, and most recently, Moana!!! I've been thrilled at how they're slowly making films which communicate healthier and healthier views to the audience. Examples of that would be "It's important to communicate with your parents and to be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt," (Brave), "It is also important to not let yourself be emotionally manipulated in abusive situations," (Tangled) "Siblings are awesome and worthy of your affection," (Frozen), and then that girls can be ridiculously badass and heroic on their own (Moana). Thrown in there are other wonderful things, such as "big hair can be just as cool as non-big hair," "Scots, Reindeer, and Manta Rays are the coolest," and "You don't have to be a white, effeminate girl to be a princess/beautiful/admirable, nor do you need to be white in general." I like seeing Disney become more inclusive as it provides characters which more of their audience can identify with. :)

As a historian, I'm also very excited to see how Disney's putting more and more work into grounding their stories in actual history, culture, or at least some semblance of accuracy/fidelity. There is a world of difference between Pocahontas and Moana, for example, while Frozen was practically dripping with Baltic-ness. There is still some pandering in their films, but it's been charming to see how much progress Disney has made over the years.

On the other hand, I know that not everyone thinks that Frozen was a step forward from Tangled at least as far as feminism is concerned, and I'm curious to hear more views on that!!

So, speak! What do you think of these new films, and how their characters stack up against the ones from our childhood--Prince Philip, Eric, Ariel, Aladdin, the Beast, Pocahontas, etc.! To be fair, we can also include Woody, Buzz, Bo Peep, and other Pixar characters in the mix. :) Gimme a comparison. :D

Post subject: Re: Disney/Pixar trends
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2016, 1:07 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Personally I love most all of Picar films. Not always because of the specific mesages they send out, though those are good at times too, but just because there is a sad lack of family friendly movies out there.

Most of the time if Insee a movie Inwould enjoy it is too mature for my kids... but on the other hand if it is suitable for their age... I generally don't enjoy it. Unless it is pixar and a few of the new family movies that have come out recently. I love being able tonwatch movies I enjoy with my kids and have it still on their level and they can enjoy it too. Pixar seems to do very good at that.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2016, 7:47 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

I think the best thing Pixar has done was Wall-E.
Good on then for trying new things, but there is no need to diss the classics.
Love the old, always room for new.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 4th, 2016, 10:45 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Defenitely Wall-E was a great movie. Loved that one and still do.

PostPosted: December 8th, 2016, 11:02 pm 
Vala
Vala

I think that Pixar has always had a stronger showing than Disney when it comes to gender roles in their movies. *Wall-E* is my favourite outside of the *Toy Story* franchise, definitely. However, My question is more geared toward the Disney side of things--how do you feel that Disney has improved since merging with Pixar, and how do their most recent films compare to each other and to older ones?

PostPosted: December 8th, 2016, 11:04 pm 
Vala
Vala

I think that Pixar has always had a stronger showing than Disney when it comes to gender roles in their movies. *Wall-E* is my favourite outside of the *Toy Story* franchise, definitely. However, My question is more geared toward the Disney side of things--how do you feel that Disney has improved since merging with Pixar, and how do their most recent films compare to each other and to older ones?

PostPosted: December 10th, 2016, 1:06 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Honestly I don't know a lot of the newer movies. The latest I would not know which were pixar and which were disney just because I have not watched most of them.

The pixar movies, I agree has had a better turn out that Disney and better movies in general etc...

PostPosted: December 10th, 2016, 7:11 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I have to admit to being a sucker for animated films and I watch everything that comes on TV. I have to admit that I like some better than others, but they're all a pleasant break from the usual stuff that's shown.

My favourite animated film still is Fantasia. I love the way the animation is paired with the music.