Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: So many remakes - like 'em? hate 'em?
PostPosted: August 31st, 2017, 2:42 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

The “Movies You Would Like to See Remade” thread made this question pop into my mind, as remakes, to an old coot like myself, seem to have gotten out of hand a bit (and never mind US remakes of European films “remade” ‘cause US audiences supposedly don’t like synchronized movies!)

My movie to make the point is “Ladykillers”, originally a 1955 British black comedy film starring, to name the most internationally known actors, (Sir) Alec Guinness and Peter Sellers. Seen it, and I have the 2004 remake starring Tom Hanks on DVD. This is one case where I consider the contest between the two versions, separated by almost 50 years and the Atlantic Ocean, a tie. Name remakes that you know, and rant away if necessary! :-D

Post subject: Re: So many remakes - like 'em? hate 'em?
PostPosted: September 6th, 2017, 10:35 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Hmm.... have to say I never got into the remakes of Oceans Eleven even though it was ok. The sequels though, no.
Also, haven't bought into the new Planet of the Apes franchise because I have fond memories of the first three movies made in the early 70's with Charlton Heston. I hear they are good, but I have no interest in seeing them.

On a remake I liked but it didn't gain traction, Kojak was remade in 2005 starring Ving Rhames as Kojak. It was well acted and the writing was decent cop show, and I quite liked what they did with the story. I was a fan of Telly Sevalas as Kojak, and I thought this new series was excellent. Trouble was, most of the old Kojak series lovers didn't like it, mainly because Kojak was black. It was easily explained in the 1st episode that his father was a Polish immigrant and his mother was African-American. It only ran the original 9 episodes before being cancelled. I was sad.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Last edited by Hanasian on September 15th, 2017, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: September 7th, 2017, 1:43 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

Hanasian wrote:
... Trouble was, most of the old Kojak series lovers didn't like it, mainly because Kojak was black...

That comment of yours brings me down front and center about the 2012 movie “The Avengers”, for me the best Marvel Comics movie adaptation (admittedly, I’m woefully ignorant about the Marvel Comics movie world). Nick Fury is played by Samuel L. Jackson. From what movies I’ve seen (again, I’m the opposite of a completist on this topic), his performance in Quentin Tarantino’s “Pulp Fiction” is still a high point.

But then I have a personal, fifty-year-old “relationship” with Nick Fury. My parents and I moved to the US in about August 1966. I was given my 1 US Dollar weekly allowance on Sunday. There was this place I could walk to – they sold newspapers and stuff and were thus allowed in these “stone-age” times in the US to be open on a Sunday (GASP!!!) - and buy, among other things, Marvel or DC comics at the time costing twelve (12) US cents. In the sense of that legendary marshmallow test, I failed miserably. And what I bought after a while were the comics of “Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos” about WWII in Europe from an American perspective, and also (later?) “Captain Savage and his Leatherneck Raiders” about WWII in the Pacific from an American perspective.

Nick Fury in the 1960s was not of recent African descent (no chance in hell, excuse my French – Martin Luther King was still alive then). But then there’s another issue about the dude being active in 2012. At that time, WWII had been over for 67 years. Even assuming Nick Fury had been drafted in 1943 at 18 years of age, he would be exactly 87 in 2012!!! Is Nick Fury Marvel’s secret Aragorn??? :lol:

PostPosted: September 15th, 2017, 8:37 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

I'll mention another remake I had mixed feelings about... The Big Sleep. I love Humphrey Bogart as Private Detective Marlowe, and he and Lauren Bacall had that chemistry. It was remade in the 1970's with Robert Mitchum, and set in London instead of Los Angeles. It was a good effort, but fell way short. Now, Robert Mitchum as Marlowe in 'Farewell My Lovely' was was quite good!

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: October 25th, 2017, 12:20 pm 
Vala
Vala

I think it depends so much on how the remake is made. Is it supposed to tell the exact same story or is it supposed to flesh it out more? If based on a book, for example, is it an opportunity to give the movie more than the previous version could? With this I'm instantly thinking of Stephen King's IT, which has just recently been remade. This version stayed more true to the book, could be more gruesome because it was not made as a mini TV-series, and it could really show the evil on a whole new level. Which I loved.

Some remakes I love, like Rob Zombie's Halloween, both the first and the sequel. Other remakes I'm like - why? Why even go there? Get a grip. It can depend on so much.

Rest in peace Carrie Fisher, the legend we didn't deserve.

PostPosted: October 25th, 2017, 1:38 pm 
Istari
Istari

The one remake, not just a single film but a series, that I consider unmatched by anything done with Batman is the trilogy (or the first two films of it) directed by Christopher Nolan and starring Christian Bale as Batman. Part of the reason is that I own the 1986 comic book “The Dark Knight Returns” by Frank Miller, originally a four-issue miniseries. My version is a (German translation) of the single-volume, truly a book, version (so vaguely like a fat, single-volume LoTR). One major difference is that the setting of “The Dark Knight Returns” is a “near future”, and Bruce Wayne is 55 and has retired as Batman for 10 years. Common to both is the ambivalent nature of Batman as a vigilante, whose actions are not looked on kindly by the police (much more so in the book). I find the darker atmosphere (a touch or more so of “Blade Runner”) more fitting to the character of Batman. And then there’s the Tumbler, just so much more of a serious combat machine than, at the other extreme, that hilariously pathetic “Batmobile” of the 1960s TV series. But compared to the battle-monster of the comic book, even the Tumbler is a “compact car.”

PostPosted: October 25th, 2017, 1:49 pm 
Vala
Vala

Gandolorin wrote:
The one remake, not just a single film but a series, that I consider unmatched by anything done with Batman is the trilogy (or the first two films of it) directed by Christopher Nolan and starring Christian Bale as Batman. Part of the reason is that I own the 1986 comic book “The Dark Knight Returns” by Frank Miller, originally a four-issue miniseries. My version is a (German translation) of the single-volume, truly a book, version (so vaguely like a fat, single-volume LoTR). One major difference is that the setting of “The Dark Knight Returns” is a “near future”, and Bruce Wayne is 55 and has retired as Batman for 10 years. Common to both is the ambivalent nature of Batman as a vigilante, whose actions are not looked on kindly by the police (much more so in the book). I find the darker atmosphere (a touch or more so of “Blade Runner”) more fitting to the character of Batman. And then there’s the Tumbler, just so much more of a serious combat machine than, at the other extreme, that hilariously pathetic “Batmobile” of the 1960s TV series. But compared to the battle-monster of the comic book, even the Tumbler is a “compact car.”

I have seen Batman Returns, and The Dark Knight, then I got super sad when Heath Ledger died and have not seen the last. But those two movies, in my opinion, are two of the best Batman movies ever made. And I've seen a lot of them.

PostPosted: October 25th, 2017, 2:56 pm 
Istari
Istari

Well, just my personal opinion, but the third movie “The Dark Knight Rises” just loses it for me. The opponent, Bane, and far more so the damage he is able to do, just left me with a slightly disgusted “give me a break” response. Actually, part of what the Joker was able to organize in “The Dark Knight” already made me respond with “oh, really?”, as the Joker is also at loggerheads with organized crime, so where does he get the support he needs?

PostPosted: October 25th, 2017, 4:09 pm 
Vala
Vala

Gandolorin wrote:
Well, just my personal opinion, but the third movie “The Dark Knight Rises” just loses it for me. The opponent, Bane, and far more so the damage he is able to do, just left me with a slightly disgusted “give me a break” response. Actually, part of what the Joker was able to organize in “The Dark Knight” already made me respond with “oh, really?”, as the Joker is also at loggerheads with organized crime, so where does he get the support he needs?

But he does trick people to work with him for money, as for The Joker.

PostPosted: October 25th, 2017, 4:44 pm 
Istari
Istari

Bellatrix wrote:
But he does trick people to work with him for money, as for The Joker.

I'm just thinking of the opening scene. All of the guys helping him rob the mob bank get killed, mostly offing each other. Working for this guy is extremely unhealthy, and I'd guess that kind of news travels fast in criminal circles. And then the hospital, the two ferries, the people in the unfinished building - that takes inside jobs on such a massive scale that are just ridiculous - to my mind, anyway. That kind of infiltration would take years. I'm thinking of the Viet Cong which came out fighting in the 1968 Tet Offensive. It very badly rattled US forces, having people with weapons popping up all over the place, realizing how severe the infiltration had been. It cost the Viet Cong dearly, though, wiping out much of their infiltration network (unless the infiltration was worse than has become known up to today) by being, in the end, a large-scale suicide attack. How could the Joker, basically a maverick loner, have managed something that the Viet Cong only could do because their fighters saw themselves as freedom fighters fighting an oppressor (and so did many of their non-combatant supporters)?

PostPosted: April 13th, 2018, 8:09 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Watched the first couple episodes of the Lost In Space series reboot. It was better than I expected. Just enough campy cheese ala the 1960's series, but the acting and SFX are pretty good. Will see where this goes.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 21st, 2018, 8:43 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Location: In front of Isengard with Merry, Pippin, and the Three Hunters, talking over recent adventures!

I was just thinking about this the other day. I went to see A Wrinkle in Time recently (wasn't a very good movie) and literally every single preview was either for a spin off or a remake. I liked Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast, but I think it needs to end. I would love someone in Hollywood to actually write a new story instead of just rehashing the old ones. Apparently Disney's strategy right now is to just do everything over again, and I don't like it. PLEASE come up with something new!?!?!

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2018, 3:06 pm 
Istari
Istari

Again, I’m anything but current about what has been in the cinemas in at least the last decade (last movie I can definitely say that I saw in a cinema was Return of The King in January 2004, just after it had premiered in Germany). One trend that does stick in my mind, though, was making movies out of video games! Movies made from TV series started with Star Trek, at the latest. Both cases are remakes crossing media “borders”, so to speak. And never mind Marvel and (to a lesser degree) DC comics.

One tendency as far as I can see it is that CGI has become such a massive part of many movies (Viggo Mortensen was quite critical about the amount of CGI in “The Hobbit” compared to LoTR). And, possibly connected to this, that movies almost have to become blockbusters – the inane “made X dollars on the first weekend / week / whatever”. The studios are betting serious millions of dollars on the production, making it necessary for these movies to be revenue blockbusters just to recoup costs. Where have the B-movies gone? I mean, at least I find the pathetic (from today’s point of view) “special effects” of the first Star Trek TV series – or the original British Doctor Who, for that matter – quaintly amusing. Of course, there were some movies (mostly after Star Wars premiered in 1977) that are so bad that even 20, 30 or 40 years later one can only wince, groan and roll eyes. In contrast, for example, Blade Runner:the 1982 original got off to a halting start in the cinemas, but is now considered a classic, and its sequel seems to be quite good, too. No, I mean stuff that has mainly gotten more pathetic over time – and if anyone should think of doing a remake of them … :yuck:

PostPosted: April 27th, 2018, 1:54 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Location: In front of Isengard with Merry, Pippin, and the Three Hunters, talking over recent adventures!

The special effects were bad because it was the 60s. Back then it was revolutionary technology. Give a little grace, will ya?

Also, I think marvel might need to take a bit of a break. Last movie I saw, which was Black Panther (very fun super hero movie with an all black cast minis the token
white person played by Martin Freeman, which was incredible as always!) had commercials for 3 other marvel movies. Chill Marvel! Gosh!

PostPosted: April 28th, 2018, 11:03 am 
Istari
Istari

As I posted, I find Star Trek and Doctor Who’s special effects quaintly amusing. But very definitely both were TV equivalents of B movies! As were, for that matter, pretty much all movies in the Sci-Fi, horror or fantasy genre up to maybe the first Star Wars installment. Which is probably why Sci-Fi had taken a downturn after the 1950s, to be resurrected by Star Wars as emphatically as the fantasy book genre was by LoTR. The movies that I “mentioned” of the post-1977 crowd were not just seriously deficient in special effects compared to SW, they made the stuff of those two earlier low-budget TV series look good!

I’m not sure what you mean by “…had commercials for 3 other marvel movies.” I can only wildly speculate that with the advent of the “Marvel Cinematic Universe” (starting with the 2008 “Iron Man”) is something of a movie serial, with (do I exaggerate?) “everyone guest-starring in everyone else’s movies”, so that some storylines ( for some heroes / heroines) weave their way through movies titled for others … or whatever. Like, If you’ve seen the 2012 “The Avengers” (which I have on DVD), and next the 2015 “Avengers: Age of Ultron”, but have missed [insert other MCU film premiering between these two “Avengers” installments], some comments by characters in “Ultron” make no sense, as they refer to [other MCU film]?

PostPosted: April 28th, 2018, 7:59 pm 
Elf
Elf

I very much doubt Marvel will be taking a break. They've built momentum in a very calculated way and certainly won't be squandering it - Black Panther, then Infinity Wars, followed in few months by Ant Man 2.

They've done a very good job of timing it out and audiences are lapping it up as the box office numbers attest to.

Gandolorin wrote:
Like, If you’ve seen the 2012 “The Avengers” (which I have on DVD), and next the 2015 “Avengers: Age of Ultron”, but have missed [insert other MCU film premiering between these two “Avengers” installments], some comments by characters in “Ultron” make no sense, as they refer to [other MCU film]?

Watching them in that way is kinda rookie error. The Marvel Cinematic Universe is banking on the fact that there are fans out there very well acquainted with the comic material. Well versed as they are, they wouldn't be viewing them so non sequentially and hence the comments fit well within the broader universe - something Marvel is banking on and in fact playing to. It's a nod to the fan base, as it were, a very loyal, vocal large fan base.

Anyway, kinda related to Marvel and this thread, apparently there are plans to do a Fantastic 4 film yet again. Ugh. Hasn't worked well ever and is unlikely to work even in this new Marvel cinema era.

Meanwhile, I kinda dug the rebooted Lost in Space. I dig the Netflix series "A Series of Unfortunate Events" too - it's way better than the movie IMHO.