Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: So many remakes - like 'em? hate 'em?
PostPosted: April 29th, 2018, 11:28 am 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

Lost in Space! Egads, yes, that contemporary of the Original Star Trek, 1965 to 1968 and thus even predating ST! :-D

With Robot, a vague precursor to R2-D2 in that he (mostly) moved about on caterpillar tracks instead of being a bipedal humanoid like C-3PO. Though Robot did meet an older “relative”, according to Wikipedia in two LiS episodes, Robby the Robot originally from the 1956 Sci-Fi film “Forbidden Planet” (which I only became aware of after the TV series), who could be considered a vague precursor to C-3PO, though in a much bulkier, less agile and also less humanoid form. Robby kind of looked like a very bulky animated space suit. And apparently, both Robby and the LiS Robot were designed by the same person.

LiS’s Robot would be what I consider to be quite cutting-edge (without going over the edge) special effects for 50 years ago. :)

PostPosted: May 4th, 2018, 8:44 pm 
Elf
Elf

One of the things I liked about the rebooted LiS was the change in the robot.

I came to the original LiS in the 70's - it probably showed over here prior to that but I wasn't around then. Though a child, I found the robot pathetic...even as a country bumpkin on the other side of the world. I much preferred the robots I saw concurrently, at that time, in Doctor Who.

The LiS robot was little more than a prop. Though only 6 or 7 years old, I found myself wondering what the point of it was. Though I didn't know it at the time, my child brain was viewing the original LiS robot as a plot or story telling weakness. The robots of Doctor Who, however, had some degree of agency. They had a character, or served a discernable purpose, that the LiS robot didn't seem to have.

Will Robinson reminded me far too much of my younger brothers - always getting into trouble and underfoot and not in a good way. He irritated me no end, probably exacerbated as the constant companion of the LiS robot I so disliked.

In short, I found the original LiS sorely lacking. It was dull and disinteresting. I was a Doctor Who fan (original series and redux).

In the rebooted LiS, the characters including Robot were significantly beefed up. It was actually interesting...and I particularly liked what they did with the new robot.

Now, the above is likely LiS heresey...bear in mind I was a child and a non-American child, so I was viewing the original LiS without all the cultural baggage and national backstory of the intended audience (north America, space race, cold war alliegances yada yada yada). I was viewing LiS then as now - a story that either stood on its own merits or fell.

The original fell. The reboot stood.

PostPosted: May 7th, 2018, 12:39 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

Going back to the original “Lost in Space”, the resident baddie (only ending up in the spaceship by accident, and by his added weight throwing it so badly off-course – kind of a vague Star Trek Voyager prequel, that???), Dr. Zachary Smith, though played by American actor Jonathan Harris, had an English accent (impossible to make the US realize there ain’t no such thing!) And come to think of it, Loki in ”The Avengers” (at least Tom Hiddleston was a Brit!) did too. Fer cryin’ out loud, the Yanks still seem not to have gotten over 1776! :goofy:

PostPosted: May 10th, 2018, 1:08 am 
Elf
Elf

Correlation ain't causation, Gando. ;-)

PostPosted: May 10th, 2018, 10:41 am 
Istari
Istari

Elora Starsong wrote:
Correlation ain't causation, Gando. ;-)

No need to tell me. Or, for that matter, Robert-Duvall-in-the-Godfather-movies type defense attorneys representing big companies who have been involved in at least shenanigans if not outright law-breaking. Getting the two terms seriously muddled in the heads of the jurors is their main line of obfuscatory attack.

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of Sigmund F.’s Id (featured prominently in the above-mentioned movie “Forbidden Planet”) – or would C.G. Jung’s collective unconscious a.k.a. archetypes be closer? When thinking about it, it must be something more along those lines, because considering the state of US education for several decades (and never mind that a non-trivial percentage of the US population views education with deep suspicion), 1776 probably means little to an awful lot of people. On the other hand, 242 years is much too short a time to have an effect in terms of classical genetics. And I have no idea if those studying epigenetics (a field very much in its beginnings) have been drawn to this topic.

Douglas Adams, in his “Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy” radio and book treatments of genetics (very much tongue-in-cheek, and utterly lacking from the movie) would have a solution to such effects – unfortunately it only works with a superficially and temporarily humanoid alien race.

Argh! Has that cracked the code of what's going on these days??? "Men In Black" has it right??? ;-)