Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: ~ Star Wars: The Last Jedi ~
PostPosted: December 11th, 2017, 12:19 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Location: In front of Isengard with Merry, Pippin, and the Three Hunters, talking over recent adventures!

I'm scared. This one, being the second in the trilogy, could either be really good or really bad.

PostPosted: December 11th, 2017, 12:26 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

I know what you mean... :/ That is why I have not souch as looked at a trailer. The only thing I know is the name of the movie. That's it.

I think if I have no expectations either way... Maybe it will turn out better?? Lol I don't know.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: December 11th, 2017, 3:29 am 
Elf
Elf

Quote:
I'm scared. This one, being the second in the trilogy, could either be really good or really bad.

I'm the first to admit I love being a cynic. Let's face it, the original 2nd instalment was a bit meh. The entire prequel was ghastly, but again the second instalment was...well I'm not sure if it was worse or just as bad as the third prequel. And I'm not prepared to watch them again to answer that for myself. Anakin Skywalker's whining is still imprinted on my prefrontal cortext. I am scarred enough.

But, I am optimistic despite all that bitter disappointment. Principally because the work of the last two installments (last in terms of recency of release, not place in the SW calendar). Both of these seemed to recover something of the bonhommie I recall when watching the original SW back in the 70's. An adventure, a rollick, with a bit of everything.

PostPosted: December 13th, 2017, 9:55 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

I know a lot of people are kind of down on Episodes 1-3 and I won’t deny that Anakin’s whining is certainly a foremost cause of that. All in all, however, George had to tell the story of why this young boy made his journey to the dark side. His childish attitude actually made a lot of sense to me as a valid reason why. When one lacks proper maturity and recieves too much power (thus responsability) it takes them to very dark places.

But I will be the first to admit, even though I am critical in many aspects, I am first a star wars fan. If it is star wars I will find a way to like it and fit it into my “star wars world view” lol So I am a little slanted in my views. Lol

That being said, I know this movie will he at least that. As good as the prequals to me. I am just hoping and dreaming that it will surpass that and hit a Rogue One level. Rogue One blew me away! Eppisode 7 was a good movie, but honestly I place it on the same level as the prequals. I just never could get really into Po Dameron or Fin as characters.

So, a lot of anticipation and hope/expectations as I am now going on my “24 hour before seeing eppisode 8 jittery excitement session” lol :p

Ultimately, I only DREAM I could have seen the original trilogy in theaters... tomorrow will be the next best thing!

PostPosted: December 14th, 2017, 8:49 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Location: In front of Isengard with Merry, Pippin, and the Three Hunters, talking over recent adventures!

As far as plot goes, the prequels were ok. Except jar jar. As movies though, I thought they were pretty terrible overall.

I'm so excited and nervous for tomorrow. There are so many emotions. :confused2:

PostPosted: December 15th, 2017, 9:54 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Well, I won't say details, just in case anyone here has not seen it yet... But I LOVED it! I honestly think it is far better than the force awakens.

I was pleasantly surprised!

I was in the parking lot for the 7pm showing by 2:20! Lol I was the first one in line, the first one in the door, and the first one in the theater! Lol

I watched the movie in 2D, so I am currently sitting in the theater (again) waiting to watch it in 3D now! :D :D

PostPosted: December 16th, 2017, 8:51 am 
Vala
Vala

Harrison never signed on to a more than one movie contract in the original trilogy, like the others did, as he wasn't sure he would be interested in doing more than one movie. He was frozen in carbonite because he didn't know if he wanted to return or not. Then in the final one he did want to be killed off because he felt that Han Solo should get to do something honorable, like dying for his love for Leia or the greater cause, etc. So basically, he has been rallying to have him killed off since the original trilogy and wasn't all that pleased that he didn't die back then. I don't think his age matters much to him, far as I've seen and heard in interviews he still does most of his stunts and goes all in and at some point during a movie knocked another person unconscious for a few minutes because he went all in. And in the newest Indiana Jones they wanted to use a CGI whip but he refused doing it unless he had the real thing. I mean, the guy crashed a plane, was knocked out for five days, broke his leg, back, and probably more and still flies his plane and helicopter. So as far as being older and not wanting to do action scenes or whatever, I don't think that's the case at all. He just wanted this particular character to die.

I'm seeing it Monday and I'm feeling more and more hopeful about this one though. I keep hearing great things about it and mum's enthusiasm has rubbed off on me.

Rest in peace Carrie Fisher, the legend we didn't deserve.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2017, 8:39 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Alright, yeah. I had heard bits of that but not the whole explanation. That makes sense, I guess. I don’t know that i would have wanted him to go out that soon or in that way... but it is what it is I guess.

Well, I hope you like it! It was better than I was expecting. I am actually getting ready to go see it for the third time... lol This will probably have to be the last time in theaters... if for no other reason just because of my pocket book. :p

PostPosted: December 17th, 2017, 8:21 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Went and saw it yesterday afternoon. No better place to be than in an air conditioned theatre on a warm humid Queensland arvo with lunch and beer served while you watch. I was pleasantly surprised with this, and give it about 6.5 or 7 out of 10. No spoilers, but I thought it had more than a few flat spots and one major flaw. It didn't tick all the boxes that Rogue One did as a movie, but I get (sort of) what they were trying for. Overall, it was good entertainment, and on par with Force Awakens. I'll discuss the issues I have with it later after enough time goes by that it wont be a spoiler.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 17th, 2017, 10:02 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I just saw it last night! OMG, I love Rey even more in this one than the last one!

I thought it was a great movie, but I just really love Rey. She has to be one of my favorite star wars Characters.

PostPosted: December 18th, 2017, 4:59 pm 
Vala
Vala

I just got back from watching it. Last 45 minutes mum and I held hands and my hand is cramping from squeezing so hard. xD

I actually didn't like TFA, I thought it was... I mean, it was good as a film, but not as a Star Wars film. It didn't feel like it belonged in that universe. I hated the prequel trilogy and I haven't or want to see Rogue One. So this was for me the best Star Wars movie since the original trilogy and that says a lot.

I absolutely loved it. If I didn't have to save every little penny for an event in March I'd see it again without hesitation. Time just flew by, and I didn't even open the candy I had because I was just glued to the screen.

Now my emotions are all over the place.

PostPosted: December 18th, 2017, 9:23 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Glad you liked it!

I will add this to my comment. After having seen it three times now, I will say I have noticed some issues with it that I didn't care for.

I still like it, but just a little less than the first time through.

I will get into the details later, but some are personal preference, others I feel are more poor plot by the writers.

PostPosted: December 19th, 2017, 6:16 am 

This is really interesting. I'm surprised you guys like it. I just saw it tonight because I was getting so anxious about something spoiling it for me, even though I'm barely a Star Wars fan. I like the original one and the Force Awakens and Rouge One, and I was really interested in Rey and Kylo Ren and of course what happens to Leia after Carrie Fischer's death.

Most of all what I want from a Star Wars film is a exciting movie and a good time, but this film was just too exhausting. It sort of front-loaded all of the comedy and it dragged the end out out too long with one desperate fight after another. And (spoilers) oh my gosh, SO MANY SUICIDE MISSIONS. What the hell is wrong with this writer?!? The first time was very touching, but 2 and a half hours and five attempted suicides later I was just numb to it. I got what I wanted out of Rey and Kylo Ren but that should have been the natural climax leading to the end, but instead it was just ramping up for another siege. Basically the pacing is all wrong. Also are we ever going to know what the point of Snokes was?

I was reading some of the reviews on IMDB, and they were all die-hard fans complaining that it didn't make much sense character wise (for neither the new characters or the originals) and it especially didn't make sense as a continuation of The Force Awakens. Which is true, as least as far as the new stuff goes; I can't speak for the original as well as you guys can. It honestly upset me a bit when I read that the producers let this director just trash the first draft and write his own fanfiction script for this movie. A trilogy's got to have an over-arching narrative and a master architect for it to be satisfying as a whole, and I assumed that was J.J. Abrams. But it really did feel like one of those storytelling games where one person starts it and the next person continues it and the next person and so on. Abrams started it then Rian Johnson was like, hmmm, I'm gonna throw out this character, tweak this character into someone more useful to my plot, add in this character as my pet project... What you get at the end is a rambling narrative with no structure. Which doesn't bode well for the next episode.

5/5 for the creatures though. I adored how the crystal foxes saved the day. :lol:

PostPosted: December 19th, 2017, 9:31 am 
Vala
Vala

Just as a PS. The first draft of the script was scrapped because by the time it was time to focus on this movie that script no longer tied in, at all, to the finished product of The Force Awakens.

PostPosted: December 19th, 2017, 5:10 pm 
Elf
Elf

Without giving anything away, I found TLJ entertaining...but walked away ambivalent.

The film seems to suffer from a flabby mid section. There was a strong emphasis on character development, not a bad thing per se...but character development for the sake of it just adds bulk. Smacks of too much fan service (says a fan - oh how droll) to me.

It all seems to be pointing to the final 45 minutes of the film which are a stunning 45 minutes of film. Just felt like I had to sit through 3 days to reach that 45 minutes.

Overall, I liked it. I liked what they did with the Force. I liked what they did with Luke, Rey & Kylo. I liked what they did with Hux. Disappointed with what they did with Finn and Rose. I smell "spin off stand alone" (movie/novel/comic whateves) there *yawn*...

Lastly, I'm wondering whether the stand alone movies are freed from the shackles that may constrain the episodic installments. Rogue One was head and shoulders above all the episodic movies (all 8 chapters). The Battle of Scariff was made for a stand alone and delivered, in spades. A young Han Solo movie seems to offer the same dividend. It will be interesting to see what the forthcoming Solo movie is. Will it be another Rogue One or TLJ?

Only time will tell.

Overall, I think the excitement of the final 45 minutes of TLJ is warranted. It is spectacular direction, action, photography and performances. That said, the rest of the movie needs to stand on its own legs, not crawl in service to the big finish.

I like the messages of the movie. I admire the risks they took, but the telling needs to be tauter. By a good measure.

EDIT: That Praetorian Guard scene.....oh maaaaan was that good. Always wanted to see those red mofo's with their crazy vibro weapons fight. Between that and the final set piece ending, probably worth another watch.

PostPosted: December 19th, 2017, 8:18 pm 

Elora Starsong wrote:
Overall, I liked it. I liked what they did with the Force. I liked what they did with Luke, Rey & Kylo. I liked what they did with Hux. Disappointed with what they did with Finn and Rose. I smell "spin off stand alone" (movie/novel/comic whateves) there *yawn*...

Hux! Oh I think Hux is brilliant. :lol: Not sure what that says about me. But I get the feeling Domhnall Gleeson is having so much fun playing such a unambiguously evil, weak-willed, ambitious character.

I have split feelings about Finn and Rose. I like it in theory but something about it didn't play well. I'm not sure if it was the writing or acting or what. Perfectly embodied in that kiss at the end. If she just killed herself for somebody she should have stolen a more substantial kiss!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next