It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Last Jedi [SPOILERS ALLOWED!!!!!]
PostPosted: December 22nd, 2017, 9:59 am 
Vala
Vala

JUST TO CLARIFY, IN THIS THREAD, SPOILERS FROM THE LAST JEDI IS ALLOWED,
PLEASE READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Rest in peace Carrie Fisher, the legend we didn't deserve.

Post subject: Re: The Last Jedi [SPOILERS ALLOWED!!!!!]
PostPosted: December 22nd, 2017, 10:01 am 
Vala
Vala

I have so much to say about the movie, but don't want to ruin it for anyone, therefore I thought it was appropriate to make a new thread so that no one gets the movie spoiled for them.

First and foremost, I loved Adam as Ben/Kylo in this movie. I felt like we got to understand him better, whereas in TFA he just felt like a spoiled brat. I don't agree much with him, but I understand where he's coming from. And I actually liked the fact that there are no light saber on light saber battles in this film. And there were flashbacks, which I think is rare for the SW universe?

Anyone have any thoughts on the new film? That include spoilers and thus should be discussed here.

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2017, 1:37 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Location: In front of Isengard with Merry, Pippin, and the Three Hunters, talking over recent adventures!

I found the relationship between rey and kylo to be fascinating. Rey is a strong willed, powerful sort of jedi, and kylo is an emo not really sith with daddy issues. I'm hesitant to call them jedi or sith because they seem to be their own thing. One has a lighter tendency and one has a darker tendency. With the death of snoke and Luke, I don't think the old orders really exist anymore. I kind of ship them especially after that one fight scene after snoke dies. But I also kind of don't. I'm kind of at loose ends. I'd be totally fine with whatever happens in the next movie.

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2017, 12:50 pm 
Vala
Vala

That's how I feel. I could accept them becoming involved in the final movie and having it end on that happy note, but I could also be fine with either him falling completely into darkness to the very end and never turning back and thus them never becoming anything special to one another. I'm open for either. And anything in between.

PostPosted: December 24th, 2017, 4:33 am 
Elf
Elf

Imma just gonna leave this here: https://twitter.com/VagliArt/status/943575313300176896

You're all very welcome.

PostPosted: December 24th, 2017, 6:15 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Location: In front of Isengard with Merry, Pippin, and the Three Hunters, talking over recent adventures!

LOL!!!! That's exactly what I was thinking in that scene!!! I'm with rey: " Is there a towel or something you could put on?"

PostPosted: December 25th, 2017, 8:48 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

I liked the fact that Snoke was a clone created from Luke Skywalker's hand!
(No, that didn't really happen)

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 26th, 2017, 12:15 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Lol I heard that theory.... I still think he is the grand Inquisitor, it the son of abaloth or something a little more far out. :p

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: December 26th, 2017, 12:49 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

That theory sounds cool, Jax! Honestly though, I would really be okay with anything they decide to make canon. I'm at loose ends with the plot, which I think is a good place to be!

PostPosted: December 26th, 2017, 11:36 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

I am at this point. I've reached a begrudged peace settlement with there alterations of cannon in eppisode 7.

About the only thing I am going to be ticked off about is if they DON'T explain who Snoke was!

PostPosted: December 27th, 2017, 1:02 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Agreed! That should not be something left to fanfiction to deal with!

On a different note, what if Rey becomes a sith?

PostPosted: December 27th, 2017, 4:59 pm 
Elf
Elf

I'm not entirely convinced Kylo Ren was telling Rey the truth about her parents. It seemed to be too contrived, and the timing of the disclosure raised the spectre that he only said that to sway Rey to his way of thinking. He was softening her up, luring her to the Dark Side.

So whilst I'm ok with Rey not being from any particular dynastic clan, I don't trust a damn thing outta Ben Solo's mouth.

I'd much rather see the Force democratised in this way, meaning any one can be force sensitive, but I don't think we done with the Rey parentage thing yet. Soooo wish that we were.

PostPosted: December 28th, 2017, 1:00 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Personally, I don't think we will see Rey turn fully to the dark side, but who knows. It certainly would make for an interesting plot twist. I think if done tactfully it could be a neat turn of events. She could become a sith I really learned to like, honestly. Lol Still... Do not see it happening, though.

As for her parents, I never for a second assumed Been was telling her the truth. My first reaction was just that. That he was lying to win her over to his side. I thought it odd after the fact that many people thought he was telling her the truth. His comment earlier, however... That he knows she will turn to the dark side because he saw.who her parents were... That doesn't make sense to me. Why would them being a no one make her turn evil? It seems to me that there must be more.

I would be.ok with the being no one... IF they had not lead everyone on to wonder who her parents were and made it such a point in these first two movies. It would just be annoying for them to build all that suspense all for a big let down of her parents being no one.

PostPosted: December 28th, 2017, 1:18 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I kind of think star wars needs some fresh blood, so I'm ok with the nobody theory. I'm also totally cool with the Kenobi or Jinn theory. I don't really care about her past as much as her present and future.

Also, the sith comment was purely hypothetical. If Rey became a sith, what do you think would happen?

This is what I think about when I can't sleep at night.

PostPosted: December 28th, 2017, 7:10 pm 
Elf
Elf

I mostly agree with this review...will be difficult to know just how well Ep VIII stacks up without Ep IX. Which means, for me, to some extent there are many things in Ep VIII that I must take on faith.

http://www.scififantasynetwork.com/last-jedi-full-review/

PostPosted: December 29th, 2017, 12:38 am 
Vala
Vala

I, for one, want Rey to have really come from "no one" of importance, because to me, that makes what The Force really is more of a... well, something many people out there can possess, something they can feel, without having a specific bloodline to "give" it to them, so to speak. Meaning you can literally be a "no one", and still grow strong with The Force.

To me, it doesn't feel like Kylo would really think that he'd need to lie to her in order to get her to join him. What I got out of their scenes together is that he really is like a lost little boy, and also that he knows that just because he came from greatness doesn't mean that it'll just be handed to him (i.e. he IS NOT Vader, simply because he's related to him, something that clearly drives him to act out, be angry, pouty and sometimes just a whiny annoying brat). Yet he still has a lot of confidence in that he will be as powerful as Vader, thus, why would he need to lie to get Rey to join him? Wouldn't HE, just as he is, (well, you know, what he tries to be and act as he is) be enough? Like "yo, I'm basically Vader 2.0, I swear it, join me and we'll be awesome together, gurl!"

The only ending to the last part that I'd loathe is if we'd get another "evil person turns to the light in their final moments of life" thing. Kill Kylo off if necessary, but don't have him "redeem" himself and his actions just seconds before.