Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently June 16th, 2024, 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 334 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 21  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 26th, 2007, 10:59 pm 
Ent
Ent

^ I'm sorry that you're reading a boring book...

We've moved from Herodotus to Aeschylus's "Oresteia" trilogy of plays. We've gotten through "Agamemnon" (thank...goodness...), but we have "The Libation Bearers" all this next week...-_-

...why pigs, you ask? Why, because they're amazing, of course!

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27th, 2007, 4:13 pm 
Istari
Istari

we're reading John Donne's sonnets and songs. they're not too bad :D
and we have to read "life of Galileo" by Brecht for the end of november...

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2007, 4:16 pm 
Maia
Maia

Studing a Vine's Expository Dictionary atop of Conquest of Gaul. =] It's making me really happy.

I can recite the Greek alphabet in order now... =]

alpha
beta
gamma
delta
epsion
zeta
eta
theta
iota
kappa
lambda
mu
nu
xi
omnicron
pi
rho
sigma
tau
upsilon
phi
chi
psi
omega

I'm proud. Very proud. =]

<center>“Envy consists in seeing things never in themselves, but only in their relations. If you desire glory, you may envy Napoleon, but Napoleon envied Caesar, Caesar envied Alexander, and Alexander, I daresay, envied Hercules, who never existed.”
at one point, I was alejandrah.

Profile           YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2007, 4:42 pm 
Istari
Istari

^ahah great :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 29th, 2007, 2:45 pm 
Istari
Istari

^ahahaha poor aerlinn, looks really boring :P
we're finally done with Machiavelli...I didn't like him so much, all that politic stuff...pretty boring. Dante's Purgatorio is awesome istead :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 29th, 2007, 11:15 pm 
Ent
Ent

^ YES I loved Dante! (So much that my friend and I wrote a few cantos of our 'Divine Tragedy') My favorite part was always the Inferno...^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 30th, 2007, 1:55 am 
Vala
Vala

I have to read Hard Times by Charles Dickens. It's no exception to my normal opinions of his books--they stink. I really, really don't enjoy any of his books that I've read so far. :annoyed2:

Worse yet, I have to read Mansfield Park by Jane Austen after I finish Hard Times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 30th, 2007, 9:58 am 
Istari
Istari

Pigrider wrote:
^ YES I loved Dante! (So much that my friend and I wrote a few cantos of our 'Divine Tragedy') My favorite part was always the Inferno...^^

Dante rules :cool:
I love the Inferno too, and me and my best friend planned a movie for it during the whole last year XD
it would be great :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 30th, 2007, 8:24 pm 
Ent
Ent

Aerandir wrote:
I have to read Hard Times by Charles Dickens. It's no exception to my normal opinions of his books--they stink. I really, really don't enjoy any of his books that I've read so far. :annoyed2:

Worse yet, I have to read Mansfield Park by Jane Austen after I finish Hard Times.

You really don't like Dickens? Hm...I always loved his books...same for Jane Austen; she's one of my favorite authors.

^ Oh gosh, a movie for the Inferno would be...definitely not appropriate for small children, but I'd watch it. ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 1st, 2007, 8:52 am 
Istari
Istari

Pigrider wrote:
^ Oh gosh, a movie for the Inferno would be...definitely not appropriate for small children, but I'd watch it. ^^

ahah well you're right, it would be a bit...atrocious...but remains one of my favourite "books" ever :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2007, 11:01 pm 
Istari
Istari

Well This year...
( since we haven't read that many books I shall tell you all of them)
We have read Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare , which was ok considering that it was actually the first Shakespeare I had ever read....
That took the class as a whole about six weeks to finish the whole thing.

But at this very moment we are starting to finish off the Colonial era Literature, like Young Goodman Brown ( which I very much liked), Rip Van Winkle( which was......weird), and Sleepy Hollow which I have not yet completely read because I was absent that day that he decided to read it in class... :confuzzled: so I guess I'm just being lazy ????

But yes I do LOVE my Literature teacher. He is one of the teachers that I don't think believes in real homework, but he does love crosswords....which I have now learned to dislike.....Also instead of giving everyone a huge project at the end of every book he only makes one or two people every week do an essay, a recitation, or a "large " project so that we actually listen to the information he gives us or what they give us instead of going to sleep

(Sorry for the long post)

Profile           YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 4th, 2007, 9:02 pm 
Maia
Maia

You know, I don't have any sort of literature class this term or the next, Annabel? O.O We read the first fifteen or twenty minutes of math, but that's it. All reading has to be done independently.

Except for Tom Sawyer in English class. I hate Mark Twaine's guts for ever writing said horror. Despise him. It would be Ok if we had audio along with it, or if it was being read to us... but we have to read it ourselves for two hours at a time in perfectly uncomfortable desks with the heater on... let's just say its very tempting to fall asleep. Very tempting indeed.

Half way through The Conquest of Gaul, and finding it very difficult indeed to understand. Gah, why couldn't these people just get along? =[

As for Vine's... I like Greek. I'm going to see about taking some classes for the summer semester at a Theological college that's literally just down the road from me. Should be interesting, ne?

<center>“Envy consists in seeing things never in themselves, but only in their relations. If you desire glory, you may envy Napoleon, but Napoleon envied Caesar, Caesar envied Alexander, and Alexander, I daresay, envied Hercules, who never existed.”
at one point, I was alejandrah.

Profile           YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 4th, 2007, 11:38 pm 
Ent
Ent

^ Yup, Mark Twain isn't fun AT ALL. We had to read his Huckleberry Finn last year, and...gah. Of all the books we read, the only one I hated more was Gulliver's Travels. And my hatred for that has absolutely no ends, so...ja, I REALLY hated reading Mark Twain.

And you're right, the Conquest of Gaul often doesn't make sense...the Gauls were pretty weird at times. ^^

Hmm...soon we'll be reading the play Oedipus Rex in literature class. I'm excited. I got to dress up as Oedipus for a costume contest once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 6th, 2007, 8:08 pm 
Ent
Ent

^ Haha, yeah, when I study ancient literature, I REALLY doubt that we're getting more and more immoral as time goes by, like I hear people say.

For example: the poetry of Catullus and Sappho, the epic of Gilgamesh...not to mention all that Greek mythology. My friend constructed a family tree that included every single one of Zeus's children. It was BIG.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2007, 9:06 am 
Istari
Istari

^gosh you're soooo right!!! ahah and we tried to make the family tree of zeus too, but it was too difficult! XD too many children!! catullus and sappho is pretty immoral too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2007, 7:19 pm 
Ent
Ent

^ Haha, yeah, the only reason we completed the family tree was because my friend is a mythology genius. Really, she knows everything. It's quite alarming at times. ^^

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 334 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 21  Next