Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 16th, 2024, 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6th, 2007, 9:33 am 
Maia
Maia

^ Sounds intriguing, Inkling!

I write the best I can when just putting it down on paper, but then I'll usually print it off and by the end of the day I'll have 10 pages covered in cross outs and re-wordings, grammar fixes, etc...

PM me with prayer requests
www.therebelution.com
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6th, 2007, 8:12 pm 
Maia
Maia

Location: I'm everywhere at once. I am currently lost in the land of quotes.

About chapters: I find that I can never work my mind around them when I'm writing. Most often I just seperate my writing into chapters after I'm done, or else I have different sections in which a specific character is telling their part of the story.

"I am he [she =P] that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death."

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6th, 2007, 11:01 pm 

Inkling wrote:
I actually have an idea for a novel rattling around my brain right now too, as soon as I get to the library to do some serious historical research. A friend of mine is writing it with me and the story focuses on a sort of Nancy Drew type girl studying at Oxford during the 1920's who stumbles onto a mystery surrounding the death of a famous author.

It's an interesting idea (I really like mysteries)! :) I was wondering - have you read Dorothy L Sayer's Gaudy Night, a mystery set in a women's college in Oxford in the 1930s? Not non-fiction research material, but I think it is an interesting look at the era, so I'd say it could be worth reading if you're trying to write something set in a similar era and setting.

support Arwen!
[+~^$#?]
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2007, 3:58 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Herenya wrote:
Inkling wrote:
I actually have an idea for a novel rattling around my brain right now too, as soon as I get to the library to do some serious historical research. A friend of mine is writing it with me and the story focuses on a sort of Nancy Drew type girl studying at Oxford during the 1920's who stumbles onto a mystery surrounding the death of a famous author.

It's an interesting idea (I really like mysteries)! :) I was wondering - have you read Dorothy L Sayer's Gaudy Night, a mystery set in a women's college in Oxford in the 1930s? Not non-fiction research material, but I think it is an interesting look at the era, so I'd say it could be worth reading if you're trying to write something set in a similar era and setting.

That's a wonderful suggestion; I absolutely ADORE Sayers :D. Anyone who can write phenomenal mysteries and translate Dante's Divine Comedy wins my undying approval. Did you know she was one of the first women admitted to Oxford once they started accepting female students? One challenge is that I'm working on the story with a friend of mine, and finding ways to divide up the work is an intriguing task. Right now I'm researching the Shelley end of it (he's the author who I argue died in a very untimely manner) and she's working on the WWI aspect (my protagonist was a nurse on the front lines during the war before she went to Oxford and that's where she meets the future romantic interest).

~*The road must be trod, but it will be very hard. And neither strength nor wisdom will carry us far upon it. *~ Gandalf the White

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2007, 11:25 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

Yes, I'm working on a Sci Fi/Fantasy novel called 'Perfection', but I'm probably going to change the title when I'm done. I spent three months working on the storyline, so it hasn't gotten very far along in my 6 weeks of actually writing...

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 31st, 2008, 5:34 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I'm working on a book/story. I've actually been writing it since around middle school or so :blush:. It's a combination of fantasy, adventure, sci-fi, and coming-of-age novels. I'm still debating whether or not to publish it when it's finished (whenever that is :confused2:), since it borrows certain parts of ideas from a number of other books. It's well over one hundred pages (closest to one-hundred fifty or so probably), and though I have the skeleton of a plot in my head, certain segments (I divided it into three main parts with sub chapters) are missing pretty large chunks of story. Once I track down the beginning (the computer I'm working on at present is missing all but the last chapter of part one and connected, sometimes disconnected, chapters in the other two parts), I'll post it :).

Alexis

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 31st, 2008, 5:41 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

I'm writing a short fantasy using Scottish mythology..But what I mostly write is Civil War(1860s).... :)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2008, 1:58 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

I'm working on a story... a fantasy that set in the only way I can describe it as a "parallel" world from Earth. Four teens from Earth are transported to this world through strange books they find(there's a twist to how they find the books that I won't reveal in the story till the end). And they turn out to have powers over the elements in this fantasy world. I've got a prologue and chapter 1 here on AU in fanfiction section. That's sad when I've been working on it for almost 2 years now... though I am revising it from this point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2008, 8:16 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I'm working on two; one for LOTR fiction called A Reason for Hope and a vampire story called Bloodstone. Bloodstone is about a Translyvanian Princess named Varenka who is engaged to a bloodthirsty vampire named Vlad (she dosen't know, but is suspicious), but she jilts him when she meets Antonio de Medci of Italy, her true love. Angered, Vlad destroys her family and her home by sending his brides to wreak havoc. Varenka and Antonio escape the chaos, but they are caught by the Brides and Anontonio is killed and Varenka is taken back to Vlad's castle where she is turned into a vampire. Years later, she escapes the castle and gose to Italy, (1600s) England(1800s), and then the US (modern day) carrying with her a ruby that holds the blood of a powerful vampire that a realitive killed. If it is drunk, it will make the drinker powerful and dangerous.

Vlad wants it and he has sent Eclipse Yaviner, a hunter, to track down Varenka who is hiding from her in Ohio, posing as a student transfer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 8th, 2008, 2:19 am 
Istari
Istari

Heh, I just sent one of my characters over a waterfall the other day. That was unexpected, for me included. :teehee: But he's not dead...yet... :D

Pippin of Herenya's Line - "...give nothing back!"
Got fed up and eloped with Ragetti 1-3-08 :P
PHYLLIS, THE ANTI-SUSPIAN!

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 8th, 2008, 9:22 am 
Istari
Istari

Oh yes, let me see... I'm working on a LOTR fan-fic called Undying Lands, a POTC/LOTR crossover called... oh, I don't have a name for that one yet... and I'm working on a short story called Old Attic Message.

The Seemingly Nice But Actually Really Nasty Nazgul
School ate my life. *sigh*

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 8th, 2008, 10:44 pm 
Maia
Maia

Right now I'm still work on a sci-fi/fantasy story that I've been working on for a couple of years. I've wrote it and rewrote it and thrown it away and wrote it again... yeesh. I'm such a perfectionist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 10th, 2008, 2:41 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

I'm currently writing two stories: a modern Harry Potter-based tale about a teenage girl admitted to a spy academy and a fantasy novel about a world called Cicia saved by a girl from Earth named Eloise. (Note: I came up with the name Cicia on my own, and realized it was a Fijian island when I googled it, but I'm not changing the name because it fits into the plot line.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2008, 3:01 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I've already written one...it's called "Vanished Traces"...my english teacher loved it...she told me it was just great. I feel honoured by this. I don't get much good feedback on my work...so this was special for me

At the moment I'm working on a book about Self-Injury. I know this is a really difficult topic, but I need to write about it...I don't know why...different reasons...

In fact, my writing really helps me. I've written "Vanished Traces" in hospital before my operation. I was scared of dying, because I've never had something like this before and this is about the five steps of grief...I think I had to go through these steps by myself to calm me down...to know I won't die.

I've started my second book in hospital too...also before an operation. Now it helps me to calm down, to let my feelings out. I see a lot of myself in this character...I'm even scared how much this character is equal to me...I never realized this before, but now I'm reading it again, I notice this girl is in fact somebody like me...an outsider who only wants to please everyone but can't.

Maybe I'll publish my books one day (everyone who read my book told me I shall do this), but I'm scared of it...I don't like the thought of going into a bookstore and I see books with my name written on it...I don't like this feeling, because I'm not the person who likes attention.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 16th, 2008, 6:22 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I am writting a Fantasy book too. God be with me to finsh it by the end of summer.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 16th, 2008, 7:50 pm 
Istari
Istari

i'm not writing a novel, but i am currently writing a play, a film script and a meditation on the fruit of the spirit. i also have ideas for two further films (well, more like tv dramas) and a number of essays buzzing round my head, and i'm thinking of making some of my poems and short stories into a collection. phew, that's a lot! it makes me tired just thinking about it.

**MY BOOK**

~ proud to be a shieldmaiden for christ ~
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next