Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: February 24th, 2007, 5:10 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

Yeah... Though I don't really like stories were eventually my fav character dies... even though it would be slightly mary-sueish if they didn't, it still breaks my heart...

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 25th, 2007, 1:52 pm 
Maia
Maia

Lady Dark Moon wrote:
^can you explain what you mean by super characters? as in super powers or Mary-Sueness?

Mary-Sueness, pretty much.
And like just unrealistic - a 14 year old boy fighting a giant and winning? Or things like that - that's the one fault with one of my friend's books - his characters are incredible, it almost kills!

PM me with prayer requests
www.therebelution.com
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 25th, 2007, 4:38 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

Yeah, my friend has a problem with that! Though she likes them getting catured or kidnapped, then either being recued by a night in shining armor, or they save themself...

I've gotten this great idea for another book! It starts with four modern day teens across the U.S. each one has a diff. persinality and a diff. way of life... they each find a book that telliports them to a strange world were they each control a major element. At first they don't get along... and I think thats all I'll tell you, exept about the characters, if you want to know about them!

Or you could just read the four-post long prologe in the fanfic section. The titles is 'The Elementals'

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 25th, 2007, 10:08 pm 

I'm writing a novel. It's an idea I've had for years but it took a while for me to expand one my starting scenario, get all my ideas together (I still haven't done that) and realise that it was something I wanted to write, not just a story in my head to entertain myself. Then for a time it was the story I wasn't writing... school rather interferred.

I've been writing a lot lately, though. It's around 80 pages. :blush: It's a historical story, but set in an imaginary land, if that makes sense.

I know what people mean about "super characters" in fantasy. I think that's a problem in any genre, really. You love your characters so you want to make them clever and resourceful and give them all manner of talents and have everyone else love them too. At the moment I'm struggling with understanding that my characters make mistakes. Not accidental mistakes, where it really isn't their fault but stupid mistakes they should have been able to avoid.

As well, I'm curious - everyone is talking about writing in chapters. Am I the only one who doesn't? I can never figure out how long the chapters should be, so I'm just writing and I'll divide it into chapters later.

support Arwen!
[+~^$#?]
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 25th, 2007, 10:19 pm 
Mageling
Mageling

My chapters are typically twelve pages long. I consider chapters and minichapters (you know, that dividing line between two different portions where there isn't a chapter divider) to be like a writer's playground. I tend to plan better that way... I'll divide this into four parts, have this character in this part, have this happen here, switch over to another character here, etc. I also challenge myself to leave off at cliffhangers or a catchy sentence that closes it up.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 25th, 2007, 11:00 pm 
Vala
Vala

I don't write in chapters either. I figure I'll divide it up later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 26th, 2007, 12:33 pm 
Maia
Maia

I used to write in chapters, but that stressed me out in a way, trying to write a certain amount before switching to the second plotline... and it really caused poor writing and boringness.

www.therebelution.com
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 26th, 2007, 5:42 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

For some reason I feel more secure with chapters... they're like breaks for me. Though, this one story/series kinda thing, theres three parts, but maybe I'll put the three parts in one book. Like, you know how FotR is three books in one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 27th, 2007, 12:13 pm 
Maia
Maia

^ Yeah.
I stop with one plotline, though (my stories are rather complicated, as I have two plotlines weaving into one bigger picture), and go to the next every now and then. However, the way I wanted it to happen would cause too much trouble so I've had to change things around a bit.

www.therebelution.com
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 28th, 2007, 7:19 am 

Eruraina wrote:
For some reason I feel more secure with chapters... they're like breaks for me. Though, this one story/series kinda thing, theres three parts, but maybe I'll put the three parts in one book.

I am writing in parts (I think there are four) because there are distinct different phases in the story. I think it's different for me because I only have one plotline running through my story. Or rather, one storyline about just one character. There are lots of little subplot-things going on, which I find complicated enough as it is. :P I might not being doing the best job of handling them, but no one is perfect.

support Arwen!
[+~^$#?]
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 1st, 2007, 9:32 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I am writing a story which could develop into a book i have yet to know... ihave one tip though - if you are writing loads of redrafts and are continually redrafting it, don;t completly disregard your previous drafts... their still valuable and they may help you with your future work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 3rd, 2007, 4:28 pm 
Kallisti
Kallisti

i'm sticking with one plotline until im comfy enough to try two or more.. i just write, and then when something is getting a little slow or w/e i just start another chapter...

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 4th, 2007, 2:13 pm 
Maia
Maia

Nessmister of the Rings wrote:
I am writing a story which could develop into a book i have yet to know... ihave one tip though - if you are writing loads of redrafts and are continually redrafting it, don;t completly disregard your previous drafts... their still valuable and they may help you with your future work.

I keep my first drafts... and second ones, though usually all the second one needs is some touching up here and there gramatically and no big changes.

www.therebelution.com
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 4th, 2007, 2:19 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

I'm really bad when it comes to grammer... like spelling and punctuation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 5th, 2007, 2:57 am 

Nessmister of the Rings wrote:

Oh, yes I keep drafts. I have keep the drafts I've printed, plus I have a few file-versions that are older, and a file for lines I like but have to edit out (such as I don't think it belongs there, interrupts the flow, etc)... and numerous backup files, not all of which are completely up-to date. I have to put the "last updated" date in the title else I get confused...

Spelling and grammar are things you get better at with practice, I think. Spellcheck helps a lot :P Also, my grammar's improved because I'm writing a historial story, so I'm using slightly different language - shall instead of will, wish instead of want, may instead of can, and looking at some of that has meant I've had to pay more attention to my grammar in other directions.

support Arwen!
[+~^$#?]
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6th, 2007, 1:55 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

:bye: I've always believed that writing was a skill rather than a gift; the good news is writing can always be improved. Typically I'll start by just organizing my ideas into a bare bones outline of where I want the story to go, using that as a guide when I get off track. Spelling and grammar can always be polished later; sometimes it works best to just get the ideas onto paper. As an English nerd (and teacher/tutor), I'd rather see my students write a paper full of grammar mistakes that can be corrected but incorporating creativity and good ideas.

I actually have an idea for a novel rattling around my brain right now too, as soon as I get to the library to do some serious historical research. A friend of mine is writing it with me and the story focuses on a sort of Nancy Drew type girl studying at Oxford during the 1920's who stumbles onto a mystery surrounding the death of a famous author.

~*The road must be trod, but it will be very hard. And neither strength nor wisdom will carry us far upon it. *~ Gandalf the White

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next