Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: medieval literature
PostPosted: May 1st, 2013, 4:37 pm 
Ent
Ent

Alatáriël Telemnar wrote:
Hello fellow English major :bye2: :bye2: :bye2: (I love my fellow English students) .

I study History of The UK, Translation, Readings, Writing (Not good as I expected), Grammar (To be able to work as editors) and mostly it's more of language and less Literature :( :grr: :annoyed2: :disgust: :annoyed: :( .

P.S. If you can help me with books' names or novels to read/study on my own please give me that list ;) .

Ooh, Translation sounds interesting. What exactly do you do in that class? Doesn't it suck when you take a course thinking it's going to be good and then it ends up being not that great at all? Frustrating...

I'd love to give recommendations, if that's what you're asking. :-D What kind of literature do you like to read?

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 1st, 2013, 5:18 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Nicole wrote:
P.S. If you can help me with books' names or novels to read/study on my own please give me that list ;) .
Ooh, Translation sounds interesting. What exactly do you do in that class? Doesn't it suck when you take a course thinking it's going to be good and then it ends up being not that great at all? Frustrating...

I'd love to give recommendations, if that's what you're asking. :-D What kind of literature do you like to read?

Translation from English to Arabic is suppose to be fun but I signed up to learn The essence of English not Arabic.
I am into all American, British, and European & South American (Translated into English) literature; I love them all but can not stand Contemporary Romance (The plain magicless kind drives me mad; it has to has a trick an ice breaker). I am crazy about the novel Possession and Arthurian legends ( indeed all of medieval literature is just love). I love every thing to be with either deep words that touches my heart or a wonderful story which makes me happy or changes my life.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2013, 1:57 am 
Ent
Ent

Alatáriël Telemnar wrote:
I am into all American, British, and European & South American (Translated into English) literature; I love them all but can not stand Contemporary Romance (The plain magicless kind drives me mad; it has to has a trick an ice breaker). I am crazy about the novel Possession and Arthurian legends ( indeed all of medieval literature is just love). I love every thing to be with either deep words that touches my heart or a wonderful story which makes me happy or changes my life.

I see. Well those are pretty broad interests and I know some great books that fit into those genres. But since most of them aren't medieval literature, I'll go post my recommendations on the actual Book Recommendations thread for you. ;-)

I will say, I'm not a big series person (besides LotR, Harry Potter) and I tend to read standalone novels. It seems a lot of people are into series on this forum but since you're also an English major, I'll assume you're open to and exposed to pretty much everything. :happy: I'm also not a big fantasy/sci-fi enthusiast (besides LotR and HP haha) but I have read a select few fantasy novels that I love.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2013, 4:34 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Nicole wrote:
I see. Well those are pretty broad interests and I know some great books that fit into those genres. But since most of them aren't medieval literature, I'll go post my recommendations on the actual Book Recommendations thread for you. ;-)

I will say, I'm not a big series person (besides LotR, Harry Potter) and I tend to read standalone novels. It seems a lot of people are into series on this forum but since you're also an English major, I'll assume you're open to and exposed to pretty much everything. :happy: I'm also not a big fantasy/sci-fi enthusiast (besides LotR and HP haha) but I have read a select few fantasy novels that I love.

Thanks so much Nicole :) .

I love books; any book is amazing but Fantasy is the closest to my heart; I am a series girl (I love to drive myself mad :goofy: ).
About sci-fi; I don't fancy the adult space stories but YA and MG are fine :) .

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 26th, 2013, 5:10 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

I love Medieval literature. My favorites: LOTR, Narnia, the Inkworld trilogy and the Redwall series. I love everything about Medieval literature, mainly because it's exciting to read about. I also liked the way they dressed in Medieval times.

PostPosted: October 18th, 2015, 11:16 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

When I read the title of this thread, I was thinking of "mediaeval" literature as literature written in the mediaeval/middle-ages period.

The first book that came to mind was, of course, The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer; followed by Parzival by Wolfram von Eschenbach, both of which I have read. Fortunately, I realized my folly and can happily report I am particularly fond of mediaeval mysteries such as The Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan and the Hugh Corbett series, both by Paul C. Doherty.

PostPosted: October 19th, 2015, 12:44 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

I kind of thought the same thing Shieldmaiden! I was thinking, "I love medieval settings in books!" It is my favorite genre.

Most of the medieval stuff I have actually read, however have been historical accounts such as the account of Joan of ark or things like william wallace, etc... Attilla the hun, Ghengis kahn and hanibal were possibly a little before the 5th centry. Not sure.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM