Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fantasy books recommendations
PostPosted: March 12th, 2013, 10:35 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Hello everyone,
I wonder if any of you could give me fantasy books recommendations (other than Tolkien) but I love my Fantasy PG13 or suites a :) teenager so if it's a adult fantasy novel; tell me the age rating. Thanks... :)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: Fantasy books recommendations
PostPosted: March 12th, 2013, 11:04 pm 
Istari
Istari

I like the "Dragonlance" books by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman, they dont have inappropriate themes if thats what you're looking to avoid. Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" books are good, the ones I've read so far anyway, but there may be some parts you're not fond of, those would have to be sort of 'pick them up and see what you think' books I suppose. Gosh I've read so many different fantasy books over the years its hard for me to remember them all...Oh! If you haven't read "The Chronicles of Narnia" yet then I recommend those, they're fun and cute! :)

PostPosted: March 13th, 2013, 7:37 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Lithôniel wrote:
I like the "Dragonlance" books by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman, they dont have inappropriate themes if thats what you're looking to avoid. Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" books are good, the ones I've read so far anyway, but there may be some parts you're not fond of, those would have to be sort of 'pick them up and see what you think' books I suppose. Gosh I've read so many different fantasy books over the years its hard for me to remember them all...Oh! If you haven't read "The Chronicles of Narnia" yet then I recommend those, they're fun and cute! :)

Thanks so much. I am fond of "The Chronicles of Narnia" but about Mr. Terry Goodkind I don't fancy some of his works.
I will add Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman to my list. Thanks :) ...

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 13th, 2013, 8:24 am 

Also, The Deathgate Cycle by Margaret Weis. The third book (of seven) has a bit more mature themes because it takes place entirely on a world of the dead, but the rest are really good. Read anything by Brandon Sanderson - try Elantris and Mistborn first. He also has a younger readers fantasy series but I've never read those, so I can't really give an opinion on them.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 14th, 2013, 3:42 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I recommend Dragonlance too. I love Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan and Belgarian books by David Eddings. I liked Chronicles of Siala by Alexey Pehov but I'm not sure if those are to your liking.

banner by Aredhel Ar-Feiniel

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 15th, 2013, 9:46 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Thanks for the recommendations :) ...
I will add them to my list :) ...

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 16th, 2013, 12:05 am 
Istari
Istari

I absolutely love The Heir Chronicles by Cinda Williams Chima. There's three in the series, the first one being The Warrior Heir. This isn't technically an adult fantasy, but I'd say it's probably more mature than the other two I'm recommending... it would probably be best suited for middle school and up.

I also really like the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan - it's Greek mythology told in the modern time, kind of like BBC Sherlock, if you watch that show. It's also quite humorous at times-- I love his writing style.

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke is another good fantasy novel - it's very rich in imagery, so you feel like you're really in another world.

Hope this helps! I might be back with more later. :whistle:

---

edit: I just saw that you're already reading Percy Jackson... keep it up; they're all great. Rick Riordan also has another series about Egyptian mythology. I never really got into it because of time, but I suspect it's just as god.

married Mr. Darcy 6/14/2012

PostPosted: March 16th, 2013, 8:52 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Ariadne394 wrote:
I absolutely love The Heir Chronicles by Cinda Williams Chima. There's three in the series, the first one being The Warrior Heir. This isn't technically an adult fantasy, but I'd say it's probably more mature than the other two I'm recommending... it would probably be best suited for middle school and up.

I also really like the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan - it's Greek mythology told in the modern time, kind of like BBC Sherlock, if you watch that show. It's also quite humorous at times-- I love his writing style.

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke is another good fantasy novel - it's very rich in imagery, so you feel like you're really in another world.

Hope this helps! I might be back with more later. :whistle:

---

edit: I just saw that you're already reading Percy Jackson... keep it up; they're all great. Rick Riordan also has another series about Egyptian mythology. I never really got into it because of time, but I suspect it's just as god.

Cinda Williams Chima is one of my all time favorite authors.

Thanks, keep the book coming up :) ...

Rick Riordan is amazing, I have bought the Egyptian myth book and I am Egyptian and started want to read more about my mythology more.

Profile       WWW