Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 13th, 2010, 2:15 am 
Elf
Elf

^ I'd say that surprises me, but it doesn't! ^_^
It is a slow, slow book - but I must have been in the right state of mind to enjoy it, because at the time - I didn't care about it being slow.

I found it a fairly fascinating look into the mind of someone for whom duty came above everything else. It's not thrilling, next to nothing happens, but that's kind of the point. It's a view into the world of someone from the point of view of someone who doesn't know anything about the world, or to an extent, himself.

Personally, I enjoyed it a lot, but I can completely understand why people find it boring. ^_^

Profile           YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 14th, 2010, 4:45 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

I realize this was posted in '08 but, what the heck, just dropping in here out of the blue 'cause there are several excellent classic books that I've read...
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
Charles Dickens seems to be either you love him or you hate him but, personally, I really enjoy his books.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
This book is amazing

Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell
it's sort of along the lines of a Pride and Prejudice type of novel.

I also quite enjoyed The Invisible Man and The Time Machine by H.G. Wells. They're a little different but fun.

my absolute favorite books are Little Women by Louisa May Alcott and A Little Princess by Francis Hodgson Burnett

And eventually I'd like to read The Scarlett Pimpernel and the Sherlock Holmes stories...

Get.Lost.In.The.Dark.To.Find.Yourself
-sig by Loafers-

Post subject: Re: Classic Novels
PostPosted: March 11th, 2013, 12:00 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I am suppose to be reading Austen's works and some Shakespeare for collage.
I love classics but not when someone compels me to.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: March 15th, 2013, 7:49 pm 
Istari
Istari

Calloniel (PD) wrote:

Charles Dickens seems to be either you love him or you hate him but, personally, I really enjoy his books.

I couldn't agree more with this statement, PD. The only Dickens novel I've ever read is Great Expectations, and I almost stopped reading it because it took such a long time to get into it. Also, he can be quite long-winded at times (be prepared for 10-line sentences and the like), but that was the norm in those days.

Still, I would recommend that anyone read at least one Dickens book... they definitely deserve to be called classics. :yes:

married Mr. Darcy 6/14/2012

PostPosted: March 15th, 2013, 11:49 pm 
Istari
Istari

My first Dickens book was A Tale of Two Cities...i was like...about 11 or so. (and no, it wasn't a condensed version, a tv show called Wishbone made me want to read it, along with tons of other classics :lol: ). I love that one, and of course A Christmas Carol is fantastic. have yet to read any others, but they're on my list. Anything Jane Austen is a must in my book! And of course Sherlock Holmes! I live on Holmes stories. Another favorite classic of mine is Treasure Island, I'm a sucker for a good pirate adventure. No one has mentioned this one yet, but on a cuter side of the classics, I love Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie, its a short read but I find it fun. And I agree with everyone about Dracula, and Frankenstein....I love this topic, my book list has grown, again!

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: March 16th, 2013, 8:25 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Ariadne394 wrote:
Calloniel (PD) wrote:

I couldn't agree more with this statement, PD. The only Dickens novel I've ever read is Great Expectations, and I almost stopped reading it because it took such a long time to get into it. Also, he can be quite long-winded at times (be prepared for 10-line sentences and the like), but that was the norm in those days.

Still, I would recommend that anyone read at least one Dickens book... they definitely deserve to be called classics. :yes:

About reading Dickens, do it slowly and enjoy each and every word. Dickens is a great story taller :) ...

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 16th, 2013, 2:54 pm 
Elf
Elf

Cannot believe nobody has mentioned The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë.
It's so much better than Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights. It is amazing. Read it if you haven't!

PostPosted: March 16th, 2013, 4:03 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Hravan wrote:
Cannot believe nobody has mentioned The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë.
It's so much better than Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights. It is amazing. Read it if you haven't!

This is the second time in the same week that I hear the same wonderful words about The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë. I think I will order it so soon. :)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 17th, 2013, 2:27 pm 

Ooh, yes! I have yet to read it, but I've seen the miniseries with Toby Stephens and I really enjoyed it. I like the storyline better, and also just the way Anne Bronte is basically making fun of her sisters.

[Little spoilery] She basically says "tall dark brooding man who marries and then changes his ways forever" is a fantasy, girls, marry the good guys. :lol:

I love A Tale of Two Cities and A Christmas Carol, but I could never get into Great Expectations. Maybe third time's a charm, but the first two times I've tried it didn't work out. But I feel like if I love the other two I would love more of his works. I own The Pickwick Papers but haven't gotten around to it yet - I'm still working my way through Wives and Daughters which is a classic everyone should read.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 17th, 2013, 5:28 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Nurrantiel Mashiara wrote:
Ooh, yes! I have yet to read it, but I've seen the miniseries with Toby Stephens and I really enjoyed it. I like the storyline better, and also just the way Anne Bronte is basically making fun of her sisters.

[Little spoilery] She basically says "tall dark brooding man who marries and then changes his ways forever" is a fantasy, girls, marry the good guys. :lol:

I love A Tale of Two Cities and A Christmas Carol, but I could never get into Great Expectations. Maybe third time's a charm, but the first two times I've tried it didn't work out. But I feel like if I love the other two I would love more of his works. I own The Pickwick Papers but haven't gotten around to it yet - I'm still working my way through Wives and Daughters which is a classic everyone should read.

The Bronte sisters are perfection of the literary world. I shall enjoy every thing by them.

A Tale of Two Cities; I have a strange love for this novel, I vote for it as best beginning ever.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 19th, 2013, 12:56 am 
Istari
Istari

I'll have to look into The 'Tenant of Wildfell Hall', I loved 'Jane Eyre' and if this is supposed to be better, than I'm sure I'd love it. Have yet to read 'Wuthering Heights', but its on my list as well. I'm debating which to read next after I finish my 'Lionheart' book, I'm thinking either 'Anna Karenina' or keep with the medieval theme and read some 'King Arthur' tales.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: March 19th, 2013, 4:02 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Will wrote:
Alatáriël Telemnar wrote:
I love The Phantom of the Opera and I adore THE COUNT OF MONTEY CRISTO *my favorite book ever*

I read the Count of Monte Cristo ages ago but I remember that it was a really good book. Still, I liked the change they gave the plot in the movie version of 2002 better. It was of course alot less complex, but still happier. :)

I will have a project of reading list of classics, I know that the Count of Monte Cristo will be on the top of my list *again*.
I am glad you've enjoyed it :) .

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: September 20th, 2013, 11:11 pm 
Istari
Istari

I"m currently reading Anna Karenina, and while it took me a bit to get into it, its not that bad. Has anyone else here read it?