Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Least Favorite Books?
PostPosted: March 24th, 2010, 6:40 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

If they already have one of these threads forgive me, I failed at trying to find it. So I just started one myself. What are your least favorite books and why?

Twilight Series: I didn't like these because of how weak the main characters were and I felt that all in all it was a rather poorly written series.

So Big: One of the only books I ever just set down and stopped reading. It was so boring.

As I Lay Dying: Classic or not this book is just bad. Only one good line, "My mother is a fish."

Set 1: Nurr | Set 2: Me

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 25th, 2010, 3:27 pm 
Elf
Elf

Yay book bashing is fun!!!

Twilight by SMeyer (I can't comment on the sequels really though): I definately agree here, its pretty shockingly written, I don't think I've ever read a book where I hate the protagonist as much as I did with Bella Swan. It seemed very very much like a Mary Sue Marty Sam romance story (three way love story if you include jacob i guess) Just generally annoying and so insanely dull, I was actually surprised when I finished it how little had actually happened in the plot... infact was there a plot or was it just Edward?

Enduring Love by Ian McEwan - It was well written, but just insanely dull. its meant to be the account of a science journalist which means everything is described really meticulously and scientificly I guess McEwan is clever for making it seem that way.. but still.... The main characters once again are all insanely annoying

Attempts on her Life - Martin Crimp - Its actually a play not a book, but its still insanely rubbish, its one of those annoying post modern plays, it has no parts or stage directions or plot, its just words and its annoying as hell

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 26th, 2010, 2:00 pm 

Oh, I have too many to mention.. unfortunately! :teehee:

Cien años de soledad (100 Years of Solitude) by Gabriel Garcia Márquez - I read it all of my own free will because I wanted to give Márquez a chance but it just never did anything good for me.. it was extremely boring and I just raced through it in order to escape it - probably missing out on a lot of the so-called beautiful and symbolic points...

Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh - I hadn't seen neither the TV-series nor any of the movies before I read it. I found the plot and the themes rather depressing.

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë - Another classic which failed to impress. I just can't enjoy a story that is so sad and joyless. I couldn't see the faintest glint of hope and all the characters seemed to be too wretched to be saved.

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Last edited by on April 23rd, 2010, 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 26th, 2010, 8:12 pm 
Mageling
Mageling

Hucky Finn by Mark Twain. I couldn't stand the dialects. The humor wasn't funny. Huck annoyed me for reasons I can't fathom. It also dragged.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 26th, 2010, 10:58 pm 

Lady Dark Moon wrote:
Hucky Finn by Mark Twain. I couldn't stand the dialects. The humor wasn't funny. Huck annoyed me for reasons I can't fathom. It also dragged.

This. This. so. much. D: the whole ending was so craptastic it hurt.

The worst book I can remember reading is some godawful piece of rubbish called - wait for it - Kid Power. It was about some worthless child who wanted to buy a bike so she started a business. and then some greasy people stole cookies and lemonade from her garage sale. D: whyyyy was this even published, idek.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 19th, 2010, 5:08 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Yeah, I agree with y'all. I was so excited at first to be reading it because of all the good things I have heard....Then it fell flat. The entire dialect just makes me cringe and the story was just a little flat for me to enjoy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 20th, 2010, 10:19 am 
Balrog
Balrog

Guys, if you want to read something with a bad dialect, try The Yearling, by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings. It's a couple hundred pages of nearly indecipherable conversations. It's my least favorite book ever. Ever. Everrr.
Where the Red Fern Grows is second, though.
Wuthering Heights deserves an honorable mention... honestly, I didn't quite understand the point of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2010, 9:11 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Paradise Lost by John Milton. Holy mother of batman this book is a cure for insomnia. Thankfully I have not read the whole thing, but I read a piece of it in high school and man it just about put my whole class and my teacher asleep.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2010, 11:23 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

@ Nerissa: I totally see the Yearling. I couldn't get through it without cringing. As for Wuthering Heights and Where the Red Fern grows I loved them both. Wuthering Heights (for me) is the sheer unpredictability of love and the pain it can cause whenever someone chooses pride and money over it. Kinda makes you think what would have happened if Pride and Prejudice had Wickham and Elizabeth had got together or Jane had found someone else after Bingley broke it off with her for a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 24th, 2010, 1:43 am 

Banana_Republic wrote:
Paradise Lost by John Milton. Holy mother of batman this book is a cure for insomnia. Thankfully I have not read the whole thing, but I read a piece of it in high school and man it just about put my whole class and my teacher asleep.

I actually enjoyed that. Once I figured out what was going on. :lol: Once you have to write an epic research paper on feminism about that book, puts it into a whole new perspective. XD

"Anthem" by Ayn Rand.

It wasn't bad. Until the last third. Then I wanted to burn the book. It was terrible.

"Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley. Like Ayn's Anthem, and then just nose-dived half way in.

Sig: Teh Nurr

I've met Eru & Eä & Ellie & teh Arweb & Naur & Elenya & POTR!

POLKA WILL NEVER DIE!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 24th, 2010, 5:19 pm 
Vala
Vala

^I actually kinda liked "Brave New World" especially considering it was an assigned book I had to read for my English class. Not the most interesting book I've ever read, granted, but it was interesting (and odd) enough to keep my attention.

The worst book I have ever read, by far, is "Cry the Beloved Country" by Alan Paton. I couldn't even finish it, which is saying something because normally I can just zip through any book I read. The story was boring, the dialogue insufferable (there were no quotations around the dialogue, and since there were no "he said/she said" markers to tell you said what, you had to keep track. With two speakers it wasn't that bad, but sometimes there were three or more).

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 26th, 2010, 12:37 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Sword of Shannara. Wow. Just...wow. It's got to be the lamest ripoff of Lord of the Rings that has ever been written. I read the first several chapters, somehow managing not to do bloody violence to the piece of paper in my hands, and valiantly suppressed the hugely powerful urge to rewrite the entire thing. Seriously. The writing was so utterly stale and awkward I wanted nothing more than to rewrite every word. Don't even bother with the plot, which was the first few chapters of the Fellowship of the Ring with the names switched around but mixed thoroughly with a large bucket of fail.

...Ahh, that felt remarkably good. :P

As for Huck Finn; never read it, but I very much enjoy Mark Twain's rather cynical humor, which I suspect is what most of you dislike. Certainly not right or wrong, just a matter of taste.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 27th, 2010, 2:54 am 
Balrog
Balrog

+ Twlight by S.Meyer (can't say for the sequels because I wouldn't even touch them, if fact I can't even look at this series. I see something relating to this series and I have to hide it behind something else.) - I can't STAND this book at all! I don't see why it is so popular!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could go on a whole long rant about how much I dislike this but for the sake of being nice, I'll post the main points:
1. She can't write to save her life.
2. Characters are weak and jump all up and down the emotion spectrum in a short amount of time (REALLY annoying!)
3. Hardly any plot.
4. The vampire aspect of the series in a joke.
5. BELLA IS AN ANNOYING IDIOT!
*clears throat and regains composure*

Moving on....
+ Huck Finn by Mark Twain - I realize Twain is a classic author but this story didn't capture me at all. It dragged on too much and it just... wasn't all that interesting for the most part to me. I remember falling asleep every time I had to read this at home for school. Some of the humour was pretty good though. :P
+ House On Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros - There were certain parts of the story I liked but for the most part, I couldn't understand what the bloody hell was going on! A lot of this book is in Spanish and unfortunately a lot of the big important stuff was in a language I don't understand! I may live in Southern California but it doesn't mean I speak Spanish, sorry. I did not enjoy reading this over the summer for AP English in High School at all.
+ Lord of the Flies by William Golding - It wasn't so much I didn't like the story or the characters... In fact I loved it, but the writing style drove me up a wall!!! I could never tell who was talking so I was often confused about who was doing what, or who went off with whom, or who killed whom. Great story but the writing style ticked me off something awful. XD

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 10th, 2010, 12:05 am 
Kallisti
Kallisti

ERAGON/ELDEST/GARBAGE BOOK # 3

That is all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2010, 9:03 am 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

I have to make an obligatory mention of "The Children of Men".

It is definitely one of those rare moments where the movie is MUCH better than the novel.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 4th, 2010, 12:13 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

^ I have another one to add.

Remains of the Day. How anyone thought this would make an excellent film is beyond me.... but someone must have seen some glimmer of hope in it. I would have tossed it and not thought twice.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW