Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 25th, 2024, 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Spiderwick Chronicles
PostPosted: March 21st, 2008, 8:10 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

First off.....

I'VE ONLY READ THREE SO DON'T TELL ME WHAT HAPPENS! *squeal*

Okies, well seen as how the film is coming out, and I quite like the look of it, I thought I'd read the books first. :D

And I quite like what I've read. They're not as uber complicated as LOTR or as depressing as HP and I like the fact it's back to basics with goblins and elves and fairytale creatures and a few that are weird and wonderful.

I have no idea though how they're going to make a film, I mean the first book would take up like 10 minutes screen time. :blink:

I wants a Phooka and Hogsqueal. Yes, yes I do. :yes:

And drawings in fantasy books = ♥ The drawings are quite wonderful (as the descritptions aren't the most detailed), and it's also going to mean that the film makers actually have something to go on which is always nice.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 22nd, 2008, 10:01 pm 

My sister read the Spiderwick Chronicles and though they were wonderful. I was quite reluctant to read them because of the age difference between us. I thought they wouldn't appeal to me because of their lack of complexity, however now I feel as though I should read them. :) Though, I'm not sure I'll see the movie...

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 22nd, 2008, 10:25 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Yes, they probably are aimed at a younger audience, but that didn't really stop me. :teehee: I don't think because you're at an age when more complex stories are what you normally go for, that should mean you shouldn't read them if you know what I'm saying. ;)

It was actually refreshing to read a fantasty book that wasn't full of death and disaster but still excite enough curiosity to keep on reading.

When I read the next two books, I'll definitely go and see the films (which critically seems to be more popular than the HP films).

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2008, 5:53 pm 
Maia
Maia

OH, oh, Spiderwick fan here!! :hiya:

The optimism in them is so refreshing for a YA fantasy... and yes, of course they are aimed at younger children, but I think almost any YA Fantasy appreciator will enjoy them. :yes:

Oh yes Phooka! Heheh... <3 And Thimbletack is a favorite too...

I actually really need to buy these books. They are a terrific 'light read' and I've checked them out a ridiculous amount of times from the library... all those poor little 12-year-olds are probably ready to tar and feather me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2008, 7:14 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Huzzah!!

Yes, it is refreshing. I mean no matter what happens you know nothing really bad will happen to them, but that doesn't make them any less interesting.

They are very light reads. I read them all in about an hour and a half - I sometimes skip parts in books, then worry I missed something, so backtrack and then ultimately I spend longer reading them than if I hadn't skipped parts. :duh:

:roll: Haha, if you borrow them enough, the library will probably give them to you - save them putting back on the shelf for you to just get them out again. XD

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 31st, 2008, 10:17 pm 

I think I'm going to add it to my reading list for this summer then. I've made me my goal to read a book once a week. I've got a few hardcore titles chosen, and to balance things out I think I'll add these as well.

And yeah, I've been reading lots of reviews of the movie and it's really gotten good reception. Although, I think it's a bit unfair to compare it to HP since their not exactly on the same level. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 1st, 2008, 12:51 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

^ I think they may have been comparing it to how well it followed the books and that sort of thing. And how much it pleased fans that they stuck to the stories and didn't add little things that shouldn't be there etc.

Good luck with the book a week! I'm onto my second book of this week and last month I read 14 books overall. (albeit 3 were the very short Spiderwick's :whistle:)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 13th, 2008, 8:50 am 
Maia
Maia

Oh I love those books!!! read them a few years back... and enjoyed them so much. Now I'm dying to see the movie.

Mallory used to be my favorite book character ever. :)
And the Phooka. He's great.

PM me with prayer requests
www.therebelution.com
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 16th, 2008, 11:24 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Yay, I finally read the last two (we ended up buying them as the library always had one or the other but never both).

I really enjoyed them (although it is kinda hard to imagine Jared and Simon as 9 years old, but that seems to happen with kids in these kind of stories - they never act their age) and I'm going to see the film tomorrow so it will be interesting to see how closely it keeps to the 5 books. :-)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 27th, 2010, 8:49 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I adore this series.

Profile       WWW