Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 9 year old published author inspired by Tolkien and Rowling.
PostPosted: May 21st, 2009, 6:43 pm 
Elf
Elf

Manuel Alguacil, 9, publishes his first book Thok, the Vain Dragon

At 6 years old, Manuel Alguacil could barely hold his copy of The Lord of the Rings but the hefty tome was enough to get him hooked on writing.

Three years later, Manuel has become one of the youngest authors in the world with the publication of his book Thok, the Vain Dragon.

The 38-page fantasy tale, inspired by J. R .R. Tolkien’s book and J. K. Rowling’s Harry Potter series, has made Manuel, 9, the toast of the Spanish literary set.

Next week he will take a day off primary school to sign copies of the book at the Madrid Book Fair, where he will mix with authors such as Ken Follett, Javier Cercas, the author of Soldiers of Salamis, and Ildefonso Falcones, the author of the bestseller Cathedral of the Sea. Manuel, from Aranjuez, south of Madrid, prefers reading to watching television or playing football. He wrote his first story when he was 6 with a tale intended as a Christmas present for his grandparents.

When he wrote a second story, his style caught the attention of an agent from the Spanish publishing house Neverland Ediciones, who knew his parents.

The publishers signed up Manuel, who has also illustrated Thok. The book, which is being sold for €13 (£11) is about a baby dragon that looks in the mirror and thinks he is ugly. He hides until his mother reassures him that he is only growing up, and the young dragon learns to stop being vain.

Manuel learnt to read when he was 3 but within a year became bored by children’s books.

By the age of 6 he had read The Lord of the Rings in two weeks. His copy of the trilogy was in one volume, which he could barely pick up. Next he read all seven books from the Harry Potter series.

His parents, Ana Alguacil and Manuel, insist that their son is “just like any other child”.

He likes his PlayStation, swimming and running around like any other child, they said. He makes far fewer errors and uses a wider range of words than most children of his age, however.

“It’s understandable. Children have a huge memory and as he reads a lot he remembers lots of words,” said Mrs Alguacil, a teacher.

Manuel seems unfazed by the interest in his writing and is keener to be the first Spaniard in space than the next Cervantes.

“When I grow up I want to be an astronaut, and if I can’t I want to be an archaeologist or a writer,” he said.

Jacobo de Castro, a partner in Neverland Ediciones, said: “We are not publishing this book because of his age, but because we think it is good. It was launched yesterday and has sold 1,000 copies.”

Manuel has already written his second book, Save Cstia, which is about a unicorn.

Thought this was a pretty ace story :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 22nd, 2009, 7:27 am 
Vala
Vala

That is really, really cool. O_O

I wish I had discovered LotR when I was six....I don't think I knew it existed until I was ten (shortly before the movies came out).

Manuel had soooo better keep writing--once he starts writing more complicated stuff I'm going to have to buy some of it and see how good it is. If he's been writing since he's six, by the time he's in his teens he should have some really good stuff. ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 5th, 2009, 9:10 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

Aw,thats so cool and sweet!:D

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: 9 year old published author inspired by Tolkien and Rowl
PostPosted: August 17th, 2012, 9:56 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Woah. I wish I had picked up LotR at 6. I didn't start until I was 11 or something like that.

Post subject: Re: 9 year old published author inspired by Tolkien and Rowl
PostPosted: March 10th, 2013, 5:04 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

OMG! Is this is real? O! And I call myself you. Way to go young author.

Profile       WWW