Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 14th, 2009, 10:23 pm 
Vala
Vala

My first exposure was probably the tales of King Arthur when I was four or five, followed by The Chronicles of Narnia when I was six. Then came The Hobbit, and LotR, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 15th, 2009, 6:50 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Meldawen wrote:
As far as the fantastical part goes, they're very much children's books. I mean, if you're a kid, you read them and are all excited about the talking animals and the kids going into another world, but if you read them when you're older you're often reading FOR the deeper meaning.

That's so very true. When I first read "Lion, Withc and Wardrobe" I was a kid and fell in love with the whole storyline. I was amazed, however, when I re-read it some years later. It was as if I was reading a whole new book. There was so much more meaning and depth that I simply didn't notice before.

But I think that's the same with anything, really. Perceptions change and all that.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 15th, 2009, 9:36 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Meldawen wrote:
As far as the fantastical part goes, they're very much children's books. I mean, if you're a kid, you read them and are all excited about the talking animals and the kids going into another world, but if you read them when you're older you're often reading FOR the deeper meaning.

I suppose you're right. But for some reason I always wanted to know what stuff meant when I was little. I mean I loved the whole talking animals and closet thing, but even when my mum read me The Hobbit, I asked weird questions about Life, the Universe and Everything. maybe I was just a weird little kid :P

And all will turn to silver glass...

By Goldstrike

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 15th, 2009, 11:26 am 
Vala
Vala

I noticed the deeper content the first or second time I read The Chronicles of Narnia, especially by the time I got to The Last Battle, but I preferred to not pay attention to it at the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 17th, 2009, 12:58 pm 
Kallisti
Kallisti

PRYDIAN!!!

I have to go buy those now. Screw my friends b-day present I'm buying those. I remember loving those books SO MUCH. I remember we were reading one of them in grade three (or was it four...) on September 11th, then we got the news about the Twin Towers and we were all very confused.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 29th, 2009, 2:11 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Aerlinn wrote:
Talking animals only for attacting children and preparing them for some allegory?!

My unending love for the Wind in the Willows series was and is (yes, I still like a children's book! stfu! :P ) mostly based on the fact that it's a fairytale, a magical story full of talking animals and such. Wind in the willows is a story about talking animals and whispering trees, with the god Pan popping up somewhere inbetween. It certainly has deeper meaning; Toad learns from his self-destructive behaviour, for example. But. For me most of the worth of the book is in the talking animals and trees because that is the deeper meaning. I think it taught me to respect other living beings as a child. I still value that. Plus, it just has amazing describtions. The theme song of the animated series captures the feel of it exactly; The wind in the willows sang softly to me, follow my voice wherever it leads. Through mountains and valleys and deep rolling seas, born on the wings of the breeze. Spin me a dream, woven silver and gold of sunshine and shadows and days long ago. Where people are memories and stories unfold, willows, the tales you have told me. Wind in the Willows you just seem to know, who you can turn to and which way to go, to unwind your wondrous mind. Wind in the Willows, take me home.

I still think that's really very beautiful. :D

And oh man, I had nightmares from the bit where they met Pan. xD Pan is, in Wind in the Willows, a sort of personification of nature, but not sweet cheesy typical chilrden's books' nature..to quote an essay: "
Quote:
In "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn," Rat and Mole, who have decided to stay up all night looking for Otter's son Portly, have a full-blown mystical experience: After being drawn by the sound of haunting, otherworldly piping, they are vouchsafed a vision of the demigod Pan. In exalted language that reveals unsuspected links between Edwardian pagan aestheticism and late 20th-century acidhead nature-worshippers, Grahame presents Pan as a kindly friend and helper, yet also as a chthonic demigod from the bowels of existence whose presence must be expunged from the animals' memory. Its ambiguous view of nature, exalted but awe-inspiring, even terrifying, adds a necessary touch of the unknown to Grahame's apotheosis of a comfortable and comforting physical world. "The Wind in the Willows" is a book of sublime wish-fulfillment; and the release it provides is so memorable and convincing precisely because there are dark forces moving around outside.
...as you can imagine, I found this quite scary at age 5 or 6, when I first watched the series. :lol: Actually when I took a look at the episode a while back I thought it still looked slightly creepy, and very, very druggy. I saw it at 5 and had nightmares for years - probably one of the reasons why I liked it so much, because I liked scary things. :lol:

You know, I hate to admit it, but I've never read "The Wind in the Willows"! I never even knew it was a series. But after having read this, I may have to make it a point to. I love spooky, twisted sorts of things :P

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 7th, 2009, 11:15 pm 
Elf
Elf

I picked up a copy of <i>The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe</i> when I was nine, and it lauched me from the realm of historical fiction to the wonderful universe of fantasy/sci fi. I haven't been the same since :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 9th, 2009, 7:46 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

I read Issac Asimov's Foundation and Frank Herbert's Dune. They are considered sci-fi more than Famtasy, so I gues s it was the Hobbit.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 9th, 2009, 10:25 am 
Istari
Istari

My mom read the wizard of Oz books to me when I was really little (like... 4) so I guess that counts...

The Seemingly Nice But Actually Really Nasty Nazgul
School ate my life. *sigh*

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 18th, 2009, 2:13 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

Oh man... this is a hard one. Chronicles of Narnia, or Tale of Desperoux. One of the two. Before those I was mainly into horse novels and mysteries. It wasn't until the Lord of the Rings movies came out that I was really into fantasy.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 14th, 2009, 10:42 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

The Chronicles Narnia immediately followed by The Hobbit and LotR. And fantasy has always been my favorite genre, and indeed is the only one I read frequently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2010, 8:27 pm 
Elf
Elf

The first fantasy book I ever read: The Fellowship of the Ring. I wasn't allowed to see the films back when they were released or on dvd, so I settled for the books...but now that I've seen adn own the movies, I don't care for the books, so...yeah.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 10th, 2010, 1:42 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The first fantasy book that I read was "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers". :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 27th, 2010, 2:16 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I don't remember but It may be was Sabriel by Garth Nix...

Profile       WWW