Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 25th, 2024, 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Recommend/request a book
PostPosted: June 13th, 2010, 9:27 pm 
Vala
Vala

I was thinking it would be a cool idea to have a thread to go to where you can recommend a good book, and also ask for recommendations if you're looking for a new book to read.

Basically give the title, the author, and a small blurb about the book if you're recommending. If your looking for a good book, describe the type of book you're looking for (if you have any preferences)

I guess I'll go first. My friend just turned me on to a new series of books (there are going to be four books, two are already out). I've read the first one Red Wolf Conspiracy by Robert V.S. Redick. Its a fantasy novel.

It takes place on various ships, most notable the Chathrand which is absolutely massive. I won't go into much detail about the purpose of the Cathrand's journey, but it becomes apparent to the main character Pazel (who has the power to understand any language), a stow away tribe of foot high warriors, a heroic "woken" rat, and a young noble woman, that something is amiss.

I'm in love with this book. It takes things slow and doesn't unload all the mystery at once, and still manages to keep you attention. There's a bit of fantasy involved (magic, different creatures) but its not such a big influence. All in all, its a great book. I can't wait to get my hands on the second book.

I'd also like to request a recommendation for a good book. I want a fantasy book that is heavy in the fantasy and still intelligent. I'm not too picky when it comes to books, so reccommend away! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 14th, 2010, 1:41 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

BEST IDEA EVER. Im always looking for new stuff to read, and no one here is cool enough to read (apparently it's 'lame'. PFFT).

If you're looking for fantasy, I would recommend Cecilia Dart-Thornton's The Bytterbind Trilogy. Its a little long-winded, and the writing can be a little feathery, but I actually really enjoyed the plot, and the twists and everything. Its about... well. Its about this person with no memory, no anything, who eventually figures everything out :P I don't want to give anything away...

OR Terry Prachett. Because he's kind of my go-to man when I need something witty and light and fluffy.

And all will turn to silver glass...

By Goldstrike

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 14th, 2010, 10:40 pm 

A good fantasy series I love is The Deathgate Cycle by Margaret Weis. It's original enough to be entertaining, easy enough to read that you can pick it up and enjoy it, and when you finish it's actually thought provoking. The first one is Dragon Wing.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 7th, 2010, 7:20 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

For some fun fantasy stuff I'd reccomend Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. It's Alice and Wonderland turned upside down and shaken up. It's dark and spooky, but has some really funny moments that just make you want to share what happened with someone else. Not to mention it has some of the best villains evah!

Set 1: Nurr | Set 2: Me

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2010, 12:43 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I was thinking has anyone read "Wicked" by Gregory Maguire? It´s a very good book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2010, 7:10 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Maethoriel wrote:
For some fun fantasy stuff I'd reccomend Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. It's Alice and Wonderland turned upside down and shaken up. It's dark and spooky, but has some really funny moments that just make you want to share what happened with someone else. Not to mention it has some of the best villains evah!

I couldn't agree anymore.

I'm sure people are going to be tired from me harping on this and I swear I don't get anything for plugging it but Perfume: The Story of a Murderer is by far my favourite book and it is incredibly gripping.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 31st, 2010, 2:14 am 
Vala
Vala

Ooo! So many good suggestions! I'll add another.

The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. He's a great author with a distinct writing style. The first book in this trilogy is called "The Blade Itself"

Its a fantasy book, but I haven't gotten far enough in to really know what its about. What I can say though, is that its pretty awesome. Its rather dark, with plenty of swears and quite a lot of blood. Its a fun read, not tough, but at the same time not a 'young adult' book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 7th, 2010, 10:42 am 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

I would recomend a few. I recently discovered the author Robin Hobb. I started reading one of her books (Assassin's Apprentice of the Farseers Trilogy) but wasnt able to finnish due to library due dates and the stupid "can only renew once" rule. The writting is very Tolkien and Terry Brooks-esk minus the really overlong descriptions. She has several Trilogies, but alas I have only ever read half of one book. (Stupid libraries)

Profile       WWW     YIM